Skip to toolbar

Which hair dryer?

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Which hair dryer?

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  pagan8th 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’m considering picking up a hair dryer to speed up drying paint between layers.  I understand I don’t want anything that blows too hot (may melt my minis) or too fast (may move paint around).  Does it matter what dryer I pick up or can I just grab the cheapest rubbishist one I can find and be happy enough?  I haven’t used a hair dryer for anything in over 20 years.  I already have an airbrush which I use for this purpose if I already have it out.  Would a hair dryer be a noticeable improvement over it?

torros
    23805xp
    Cult of Games Member

Would a wee travel one be best?

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

They are cheaper so that’s what I’m looking at, but I’ve no idea if I need the kind of cold and low blow settings that a travel dryer might not include.  I’m out of my depth here.

maledrakh
    Participant
    11996xp

I think I would choose to use a battery operated hand held novelty fan (or similar).

It might be a better and far cheaper option, also it takes less space on your desk and does not have to be plugged in to be used which means you reduce the set up and initiatice part of getting into the habit of using this tool.

elromanozo
    Participant
    4821xp

Small, travel ones are best, but any will do in a pinch. Just make sure it has a “cold” setting ! 🙂

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

So its better using to just push room temp air around?  I don’t want it heating at all?  I assumed a little warmth was part of the trick?  Or is the cold setting just not as hot as the hot settings?

blinky465
    17025xp
    Cult of Games Member

I paint in my workshop at the bottom of the garden and in the winter use an electric blow heater to keep things warm enough to be bearable (this year the winter has been surprisingly mild to date). If I want a mini to dry quickly between layers, I put it in the hot air stream. It works like a treat.

Personally, I’d prefer a hair dryer with a speed control over a cold setting….

templar007
    52364xp
    Cult of Games Member

I use a cheap $10.00 unit.  As others have said, use it on the cold air setting.

Works great for me.  ??

pagan8th
    Participant
    9858xp

Have you considered holding them up in front of Alex Ferguson?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)