Skip to toolbar

Kings of War RPG

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion Kings of War RPG

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 18 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  avernos 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

avernos
    Keymaster
    33838xp

So no info on this yet, I believe it’s what Ronnie was hinting at during the Open Day seminar that it would be orderable in December and out in 2019 autumn.

Red Scar recently licensed the 2d20 system from Mophidus so I expect it will run on that.

47322246_10157751877527195_25869142074589184_n

duster
    6892xp
    Cult of Games Member

That could be a good one.

I gave up on my Infinity RPG dreams (way too long for all of it to come out imho) so, i don’t really remember the mechanics of the system but, it will mostly depend on the magics for wizards and priests i think… because the world itself is quite fun.

avernos
    Keymaster
    33838xp

that’s what I’m hoping for. A lot of the complaints leveled at KoW is that there is no fluff/not enough fluff, although when asked if people have read the novel and short stories people also say no so…

But regardless, one of the best ways to world build is through RPG. Minis aren’t required so you can release a book on the Northern Alliance without having to worry about having the money to tool 2 plastic sprues and half a dozen resins. This is how GW did it with Warhammer, as KoW is often compared. Mini release and rule supplements is not the best way to build a world, but an RPG can do it easily.

duster
    6892xp
    Cult of Games Member

Totally agree with you!

Besides, they do have a ton of minis out already if people want to!  My D&D group uses minis for our games and being gamers for 30+ years, we have ton of them and they add something to battles but you can easily go without them too…

torros
    23805xp
    Cult of Games Member

@avernos Are the short stories or novel available as ebooks?

avernos
    Keymaster
    33838xp

yes mate, the short stories are the Edge of the Abyss and the Dwarf King’s Quest is the novel.

From what I hear the short stories are better and based off feedback some of the authors are doing fully fledged novels to start filling out the background. Being an old man I’ve ordered the paper version of the short stories 😉

onlyonepinman
    18060xp
    Cult of Games Member

I reckon I would be more interested in a Warpath RPG. I like kings of war but it’s a pretty generic setting, it doesn’t really stand out from things like Forgotten Realms. That’s not to say Warpath is an amazingly original work – it’s not – but in terms of sci-fi RPG settings I think it would stand out a little more from its peers.

However where Kings of War treads, Warpath seems to follow so who knows?

In other news, Mantic are selling a GM Starter Kit in the Terrain Crate section for anyone wanting to use miniatures in their RPGs which would obviously be perfect for a KoW RPG.

avernos
    Keymaster
    33838xp

a Warpath RPG I wouldn’t mind either, I’ve heard there was a GM kit coming, but since I don’t use minis in RPGs I didn’t bother paying any attention to it, I have all the terrain crate separately as it is.

onlyonepinman
    18060xp
    Cult of Games Member

I have a feeling that if it’s a 2D20 system game I will buy it to check it out. If I am being honest, I prefer 2D20 to d&d 5E and generic fantasy settings do some of the core elements of RPGs better than any other setting – namely dungeon delving and high adventure. I think KoW has lots of scope for that and would be a useful addition to the 2D20 portfolio.

duster
    6892xp
    Cult of Games Member

In answer to @torros , @avernos ,you beat me to it, I was going to say the same thing…

avernos
    Keymaster
    33838xp

just poking people with sticks, no system has been decided on yet, the deal is so new the ink is practically still wet. But they do expect to have a demo for Mantic Franticon on the 23rd and 24th of March. So we’ll start to find out more as soon as someone says hello to Ronnie in the street 😉  I imagine the conversation will go like this

“Big Issue sir?”

“HELLO, exciting times ahead, did you know we’re releasing a RPG for Kings of War based on the d20 system, but we’ll be doing a quick Hellboy/Walking Dead one shot and then releasing the Nightguant/stalkers/mares ooh lovely minis great game then new hard plastics for dwarfs with some lovely new resin dwarfs and then some space dwarfs for warpath and then..”

*Rob pulls up in a van and black bags Ronnie and drives off*

“So, you don’t want a magazine I guess…”

beardragon14
    7474xp
    Cult of Games Member

Okay … I am indeed fond of Mantic and their IPs  but I know nothing about this Red Scar. What are thier games like?

avernos
    Keymaster
    33838xp

so far the only rpg they’ve released is Devil’s Run RPG. No idea how that plays/what it is. So may require googling

onlyonepinman
    18060xp
    Cult of Games Member

Looks like they might also be involved with the SLA RPG from the looks of the picture, which would make sense as SLA is now part of the same family as Devil’s Run (Word Forge Games).  Is the Devil’s Run RPG a 2D20 system?

I wonder who has asked who.  Did Mantic ask Red Scar to make them an RPG or vice versa.  Purely curiosity really, ultimately it doesn’t make much difference to me who makes it.

avernos
    Keymaster
    33838xp

I noticed the SLA, but it had Cannibal Sector on it so I don’t know if that is how they plan on branding SLA to match the skirmish, or if that is solely the skirmish game.

Devil’s Run is a Savage Worlds 2d20 game, considering the license I imagine that they will run with it, but… they may want to tie it closer to the vanguard system, a lá WFRP to allow more interaction..or may be not.

I know a friend had talked to Ronnie a month ago and mentioned he was missing a trick considering they were 80% there for the RPG market, since then they’ve gone for the terrain crate GM pack and now this. So I think once Ronnie had it waved in his face he went looking to see who could do it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)