Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] Cat and coin

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] Cat and coin

Supported by (Turn Off)

Related Games:

Related Companies:

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy and paste ###

First time visitor to OTT? Then please introduce yourself in the New Member Thread and look around in the Project System. Then come back and read on…

https://www.beastsofwar.com/forums/topic/introduce-yourselves-new-member-thread/

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/

Read all of this before you start as it will save you any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy and paste ###

Questions:

• Animals in your home and your hobby. Can that work?
    • Pricing items and their value: is the current rise of prices something overdue or are companies just getting greedy?

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

Pledge: fix the bloody kitchen leak. Something had a leak now part of the kitchen is gone due to mold and rot :S

Answers:

• Can work, will be fun at times. Will be chaos at times. Don’t believe me? Follow Doctor Fausts Painting Clinic and see what happens there XD (Will happen to me too eventually)
    • Some companies really just push the envelope to see how far they can go. But always remember: a hobby is something only disposable income should go into. And keep an eye on other companies for minis and rules. 🙂

No music, need to go fix the kitchen. And then some.

What a weekend!

pagan8th
    Participant
    9268xp

Animals in the home can work… depends on the animal…

Birds that are allowed out of a cage will crap on anything… Solution… keep birds in cage.

Cats are so egotistical that they can’t believe anything is more interesting than them… so they jump up and walk over your stuff… Solution… don’t own a cat… they are evil.

Dogs are fine… unless it’s a huge clumsy dog capable of knocking work table over.

Some prices are ridiculous. They charge by the points value on the table, not the amount of resin/plastic/metal involved in the creation. Marvel Crisis Protocol… not bad for a starter set… everything released after that… overpriced…. GW starter… good value if you like both factions… everything else… overpriced… I think you can see where this is going 🙂

ced1106
    Participant
    6207xp

> Pricing items and their value: is the current rise of prices something overdue or are companies just getting greedy?

For retail in general, at least wrt pandemic, I understand that retailers absorbed costs (to stay competitive), until they couldn’t. Shipping not only went up, but retailers ordered excess inventory, which resulted in them having to sell at clearance prices. Now that the USA is finally taking away the interest rate punchbowl (too much quantitative easing under multiple administrations, and the current one dragging its feet for their first two years and spending money instead of cutting spending), and most central banks also not reacting timely, we have not only inflation but a recession, hardly good conditions for luxury items.

Already have a ton of mini’s to paint, so no hurry to buy more, even though I backed yet another generic fantasy miniatures KS. 😛

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

Ok, we’ve only just finished with the songs and not even had the half time interval yet, but I’m going to call it – best Eurovision for a long time (ever?!).

Austria, Poland, France, Italy, Finland, Australia, Belgium, heck even the UK all had a pretty strong entries (UK was far from the best but it wasn’t terrible). Not seeing what all the pre-contest fuss about Sweden was all about.

So of course you’re having some Eurovision for your music.
    One of the best songs ever to come out of Eurovision, with one of the best performances.

To the questions – animals and hobby? Nah. Keep those pesky furballs away from paint and glue and miniatures. Dust and hair as well as the ever-present danger of spillage/catastrophe – I’d keep them well away from anything hobby related.

It feels like a bit of both with price rises – we’ve spent years outsourcing all our production to China, with no consideration to shipping costs (financial as well as environmental). As China moves from a rural to a developing nation, with the demands an ever-more affluent workforce places on pay and conditions, on top of soaring fuel costs, it was only a matter of time before prices went skywards. Personally, I’m just surprised we managed to suppress prices for as long as we did.

That said, it does feel like (some) companies are also taking advantage and trying to squeeze every drop of profit out of it – almost as if they’re expecting the luxury goods market to collapse soon, so making as much as they can while there’s “money on the table”.

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

Ok, last of the Eurovision updates – but that Sam guy absolutely smashed the half-time interval.

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

Cats are so egotistical that they can’t believe anything is more interesting than them… so they jump up and walk over your stuff… Solution… don’t own a cat… they are evil.

@pagan8th too late, we got two! XD

Already have a ton of mini’s to paint, so no hurry to buy more, even though I backed yet another generic fantasy miniatures KS. 😛

@ced1106 the “shiny, it must be mine” syndrome?

That said, it does feel like (some) companies are also taking advantage and trying to squeeze every drop of profit out of it – almost as if they’re expecting the luxury goods market to collapse soon, so making as much as they can while there’s “money on the table”.

@blinky465 yeah that is my feeling too. And I really wonder why some of the bigger companies didn’t go “ok, producing in China gets expensive and unreliable, we buy our own plastic injection machine with hookers and booze” I mean, yeah the investment at first isn’t cheap but in the long run having short supply routes and direct control over the manufacturing process has it’s own value, doesn’t it?

Let’s say GW had founded a small company at the beginning of the event that owns a few PIM and is able to create the tooling for the PIM. They could be pumping out their models in what ever quantity they want.

I should start a company like that and take “regional” orders from mini makers in the EU for the plastic kits.

But I digress, back to the Henry Rollins XLBS.

danlee
    22390xp
    Cult of Games Member

This weeks pledge is to paint up my next Raging Heroes print which is a piece of scatter terain.

1. Animals in your home and your hobby. Can that work? – We discussed getting a cat and agreed we wouldn’t. Two days later my wife came home with the cat. It mainly stays in the kitchen and goes outside and it’s terrified of me so it doesn’t disturb the hobby.
    2. Pricing items and their value: is the current rise of prices something overdue or are companies just getting greedy? – With manufacturers I can understand it. What gets me is when the likes of mobile networks send me an email to say their prices automatically go up with inflation plus a bit extra. That’s just blind greed.

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

We discussed getting a cat and agreed we wouldn’t. Two days later my wife came home with the cat.

Ah who doesn’t love proper communication? XD @danlee  The plus for outside cats is: they usually only come inside to eat, shit and rest.

It is Monday morning and with Thursday being a holiday this will be a short week for me.

Grab a brew and you do you!

danlee
    22390xp
    Cult of Games Member

I tried something very different (for me) with this one – transparent crystal using glazes. https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1794968/

thumbnail_IMG_9583

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

Is that the rainbow bridge portal of dooooooooooooooom? 😉

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

Wednesday and I’m sooooo tired.

Why? Because after stream I stayed up way beyond old men bed time. But at least I’ve got some painting done XD

And tomorrow is a bank holiday.

And Friday I’ve taken the day off.

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

My work colleagues in Finland also have a bank holiday tomorrow. We, in the UK, get an extra bank holiday any time we stick a crown on someone’s head, every seventy years or so.

What’s tomorrow?

Long weekends that begin on a Wednesday afternoon are great though, aren’t they?

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

Long weekends should be the norm IMHO

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

And just like that it’s Saturday again.

New thread: https://www.beastsofwar.com/forums/topic/unofficial-weekender-aging-system/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)