Skip to toolbar

Re: Battletech XLBS

Home Forums Science Fiction Tabletop Game Discussions Re: Battletech XLBS

Supported by (Turn Off)

Related Games:

Related Companies:

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 115 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 116 total)
  • Author

dawfydd
    11904xp
    Cult of Games Member

May have ordered a few resin prints from various sellers on Ebay & Etsy of some personal favourite ‘Mechs, not a bad price overall and looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

As to your points @bobcokayne speaking for myself the biggest hurdle to getting in to Battletech properly was a lot of the aesthetic – looking into the game after playing the likes of Mecharrior 3 & 4, Mechcommander 1 & 2 and Mechassault 1 & 2 I bounced HARD off of the older artwork and the lack of consistency in the miniatures. It’s part of why the Dark Age/Age of Destruction clicked for me – the overall aesthetic felt like it had more consistency and modern sensibilities behind most (but admittedly not all) of the designs. And then CGL, Piranha and HBS making a concerted effort to make ‘Mechs looks more cohesive in design and “realistic” (or as much so as 30-100 ton walking tanks can be) just clicked with me. And whilst there are clear stylistic differences between the three companies designs I think they’ve done a pretty stunning job overall.

templar5836
    3327xp
    Cult of Games Member

@bobcockayne I guess I can understand the nostalgia of the old sculpts for those who have played the game since the beginning or near the beginning. Coming from someone who until recently had never really played the game though, the new models are light years better in almost every way. The scale has become more consistent, the sculpts better defined and more believable, and the look has remained familiar enough that classic mech designs are still mostly recognizable.  If all that was available were the iron wind  or ral Partha minis, I probably would never been tempted to even try the game. The great thing is all those models are still available if you want to use them and they are all perfectly still “legal” to use in the the game if you wish. While they are technically not “official” there are a ton of incredible STL files available mostly for free so that the aesthetics are mostly your choice and how you want your game to look.

templar5836
    3327xp
    Cult of Games Member

@dawdydd

I see what you did there “It’s part of why the Dark Age/Age of Destruction CLICKED for me” ….ha ha ha

Although I think the Dark Age models are terrible, I do own a ton of them that I bought for 50% off at a convention (who can pass up cheep plastic?)

dawfydd
    11904xp
    Cult of Games Member

@templar5836 funnily enough that was how I got into DA/AoD – a stand at a small-ish con had a bundle of the Age of Destruction starter, one of the limited minis, and the Dark Age art book. I’d read Ghost War but had not realised there were more books after so began picking them up and dipping into Ebay lots for mechs I & factions I dug. Ended up with pretty much all of the Highlander/Republic and the Jade Falcons, plus a smattering of the other factions. Still got them all in tubs around here somewhere…. And yeah, like most ‘Clix minis they are not the nicest in hand, but the overall designs I do dig

dawfydd
    11904xp
    Cult of Games Member

Mistakes may have been made….

9EE107B3-2C90-4962-9159-335CCF0F8F94

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

But is it a mistake to know your enemy? 😉

mulletsteve
    827xp
    Cult of Games Member

I see no mistake unless you don’t have enough money to afford food now?

templar5836
    3327xp
    Cult of Games Member

@dawfydd I had been thinking of ordering  ilclan but haven’t pulled the trigger. Now that you have it, does it seem like something worth picking up?

dawfydd
    11904xp
    Cult of Games Member

@templar5836 I dug it – It basically runs through the Battle for Terra in it’s entirety and breaks down all the major actions around the SOL System in that historical text fashion that Battletech sourcebooks often adapt, and more or less where the Inner Sphere Clans are now positioned, and there are some fun possibilities for post-3150 Clanner units. It’s got TRO’s for a smattering of ‘mechs, some of which I think are new to the tabletop if not the lore, and all of which are interesting in different ways. If I had one criticism though it would be that I found the “Around the Sphere”  a bit brief, but I suspect a good chunk of what I am waiting for will be in the next book, Tamar Rising….

templar5836
    3327xp
    Cult of Games Member

@dawfydd  Thanks for the review, it sounds interesting enough, I may have to pick it up. I feel like the fact that I have only been playing for the last year or so I have always felt a little lost in all the fluff, maybe jumping in on the newest era will negate some of that as it is new to everyone

captainventanus
    Participant
    4776xp

For @sundancer – AT/AI assets with Battlemechs for scale.

IMG_1204

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

Thanks @captainventanus  that fits better then I thought it would.

captainventanus
    Participant
    4776xp

Sizewise they are fine. And the gothic design features are quite muted at the scale.

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

And there is always dremel, knives and files… now to wait how much the set will cost… I guess around 30€/GBP/USD

bobcockayne
    20723xp
    Cult of Games Member

Funnily enough way back in the day , someone asked when Ral Partha did the minis for FASA, what scale they were and 8mm was quoted at the time, Which did make my ears pick up when GW said they were doing Adpetus Titanicus at 8mm.

Someone on BT facebook is looking at the Addeptus Aeronautica dropships for BT

The card buildings from Dropfleet although technically 10mm look fine with BT, In fact I remember one of Hawks sales team when they began saying they got a lot of sales for the city terrains sets from BT players..

I reckon you could (and I will be ) used Dropfleet infantry and vehicles easily for BT using the design programs.

Just watch out for the J.Edgar Hoover hovertanks !

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 116 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)