Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] Almost there….

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] Almost there….

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 57 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy & paste ###

Read all of this before you start as it will save any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy & paste ###

Questions of the week:

1. How are you sleeping recently?
    2. When was your last round of playing miniatures in the real world with other people then your family?
    3. What hobby related upcoming release are you most excited for?

Let’s get ready to mumble!

• This topic was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by  sundancer.

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

Personal answers:

1. Not well. Waking up multiple times per night or at lease an hour before the alarm goes. Sucks you dry mentally.
    2. Yesterday! For the first time since lockdown. A nice game 100 tons Battletech and it was a tie for both of us got wiped out XD
    3. I really couldn’t tell. I don’t know what is up for SW:L by FFG or Fallout. Maybe the minis from the Kickstarter or the Fallout Boardgame Expansion that’s coming in German…

Huzza!

Side note: from Monday on my FLGS is making a sale. 25% off of everything except books and already reduced items. Why? They will be closing the shop end 3rd quarter. *sad* Now I need to decide if I go mental shopping now or wait until there is the 50% discount. Which will come as the owner told me yesterday. Also I’m now tempted to get the Imperial Bunker and the Clone Wars set but…. that’s a rabbit hole I don’t want to go… plus so many board games… and other stuff… I just… ARGH!

Anonymous
    0xp

Pledge – I have a nurgle thing I want to finish, plus I’m starting prepping some 10mm cavalry, so would like to get them done this week as well.

1. The usual for me… get 3 or 4 hours solid sleep, wake, then toss and turn for the rest of the night.

2. 8th February – Kings of War International Campaign Day.

3. Don’t think I am overly excited about anything… A few things I’m interested in… I’m still undecided on whether to get the new 40k box – I think the new Space Marines are awesome and would look great painted up as Dark Angels but if I don’t buy it, I’ll not cry myself to sleep at night.  I’m curious to see what PSC do with the Corvus Belli 15mm Celts in their new material… if it is good, that will be a lot more Celts to paint… Agema are sitting on a lot of Etruscan sculpts, which I think they are going to kickstart, they look great so far and that would be another force for Clash of Spears.  Wargames Atlantic have some nice new releases coming up, I’ve a couple of ideas for armies but don’t want to go balls deep yet, until I see how they flesh out their ranges.  The new starter box for Flames of War WW3 looks to be stupid value for money, but only really I want to dip into that as I love Harriers.

comet5
    3429xp
    Cult of Games Member

1. I’m sleeping very well as usual six hours a night, I’m a keyworker so I kept on working.

2. 19th March – One hour skirmish wargame, Home Guard vs German paras.

3. I’m looking forward to delivery of Super Fantasy Brawl kickstarter.  I’ve just purchased the Infamy rules and am looking forward to my first game, although who knows when that will be.

Pledge: Finish off the Amazons. Little bits of detailing and basing are all that’s left. I’ve already got some skirmish bases from Litko coming in the mail that I’ll put them into.

Sleeping as of late has been getting better since the fireworks have stopped.
    The last time I was playing with miniatures was a few days ago. I’m running a game of Hero Kids with my boss’ kids. It keeps them out of trouble as they focus on the game and our of their parents’ hair. Yes they are only paper standees but after losing the material after the first game its good to be able to reprint everything.

A hobby related release that’s coming up? I’ve been in my hidey hole of doing stuff and not paying much attention. Getting to minis in my Hoard of Shame has been a priority so I’m doing my best to not look at too much shiny and new temptations. That and saving money for the inital deposit and fees for an apartment in my area is a bit difficult so collected figures I will get painted.

Once I’m done with the current batch of minis I have a sprue of Arab Archers and Spearmen from Gripping Beast that need to be done. I have no game that requires them so I’ll set them aside for something. I’m sacrificing one of the heads for a separate project and the rest of them would be pretty useless without paint. Doing these small squads really helps the sense of accomplishment in painting. Why did I avoid painting armies before? Oh yeah, because it looked really damn daunting en masse with all the collected figures and the overall cost for a single purchase.

Here’s some relaxing music while not on Discord

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

It’s weekend again … time really flies when you’re having fun 😀

1) How are you sleeping recently?
    Pretty good … although I have been playing Desperados III so I haven’t slept as long as I should, which I think was why I felt so tired yesterday.

2) When was your last round of playing miniatures in the real world with other people then your family?
    That would have been the Bolt action Desert war bootcamp …
    (and before you ask : no I haven’t painted that army yet either … )

3) What hobby related upcoming release are you most excited for?

I think Solomon Kane and Super Fantasy Brawl are the ones I know that are coming.
    However I haven’t had a tracking mail yet … which is why I haven’t been that excited for them.
    I’ve been trying to limit my new kickstarter spending, which has kind of worked … except Deadlands came along so I had to do that. The pledgemanager for that one was last week I think.

It is hard to be ‘excited’ at any level for new shiny bits to be honest.
    The 40k 9th edition has me alternating between “I will buy it” and “meh”
    I do like some of the minis (the kniggets with swords and shields and the ‘murder buckets’), but at the same time the rules are more of a ‘meh’. The only real interesting bit is the ‘Crusades’ bit.
    I hope it is a thing that gains enough momentum for GW to support it beyond the release of the new book.
    I want to see campaign books that expand on that crusade theme.

scribbs
    14505xp
    Cult of Games Member

Pledge: Just getting started on a batch of Black Watch Highlanders. I’d like to at least get the base colours blocked in this week.

1. Sleep has been intermittently terrible. The odd good night interspaced by lots of unsettled nights.

2. I honestly can’t remember the last time I sat down to play a game. Before the new year for sure.

3. I don’t think there’s much upcoming stuff that’s really exciting for me. I’m only really just getting going on Napoleonics, so there’s a quite a lot of existing ranges that I’m enjoying exploring.

Having said all that, I’ve just remembered that the Mortal Gods Mythic range will soon be coming out from Footsore. I missed the Kickstarter, so it will be good to get a chance to grab some of those minis.

Anonymous
    0xp

Aside from varnish, finished my Nurgle thing.

IMG_4098

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

Every time I see one of these I hear a loud farting noise in my mind XD

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

Well it was finally cool enough to prime some minis…I’m almost out of grey primer… Though when I say cool, it was 37 Celsius…but that is near Arctic in comparison to the past week or more… Europe beware; this may be heading your way soon…

That does mean that I can get started on my House Umber Berserkers, though, which is nice. First time I’ve painted a unit in a while… But you have questions! Questions that need answering!

How are you sleeping recently?

About as well as I normally do; absolutely terribly. It’s not quite as bad as my last school year where I lived off around 5 hours a day for almost 8 months…but still pretty bad.

When was your last round of playing miniatures in the real world with other people then your family?

Well that would be YEARS! I only ever really play with my brothers, really. I kind of hate competitive players and most people I could play with around here are like that, so I usually play with my brothers when I can…but even then it was around February time, I think…

What hobby related upcoming release are you most excited for?

The Greyjoys for A Song of Ice and Fire…though I need to finish my starter set before I jump to the Kraken. What is dead may never die…

I’ve had a good day and evening. Now after some good beer its time for sludge and metal….BRAAAAHHHR!!!! More muuuzik!!!!

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

So I started on my Berserkers…and I have noticed two mistakes. 1. It was still too warm…but of a grainy texture to the primer, but nothing too serious to work with. 2. I should have checked mould lines… I got too excited to paint them… Ah well. I’ll live with it on this unit. The Champion isn’t too bad, and he’s the mini I’ll be using as the ‘showcase’ for my project log. Here’s an update!

20200711_001048

A real Gerry Shot there, but I also hate batch painting… 😛 Once all the browns are done it should be a bit more fun. Or interesting. It’s all fun.

danlee
    22388xp
    Cult of Games Member

This week’s pledge is to finish the current batch of nymphs I’m working on (project here: https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1467945/#snav) and to then open up one of the Kingdom Death Monster expansions that I have and start assembling the models.

1. How are you sleeping recently? – I’m very lucky in that I tend to sleep without problems. I only don’t get enough if I choose to stay up too late.
    2. When was your last round of playing miniatures in the real world with other people then your family? – About a month before lock down started here in the UK. Was that February? So long ago now I can’t remember.
    3. What hobby related upcoming release are you most excited for? I don’t really pay attention to upcoming releases. Kickstarter-wise Horizon Zero Dawn and Aeon Trespass: Odyssey should get to me in the next six months which I am hoping will be good.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

I think I should not have been watching the website of my favourite webshop, because I clicked the ‘buy me’ button when I saw they had the 9th edition boxed set available for order.

I can’t blame alcohol … so *eh* help ?
    😀

m30wm1x
    2318xp
    Cult of Games Member

Happy Weekend everyone! Doing this 1st post quickly. Pledge, get some progress, at least the airbrushing done on a few Panzer IV.

IMG_20200711_153558

Questions:

1. Not well, I never do. Got myself good at making coffee, I’m sure that balances out.
    2. Uhh, February I think. I’ve been having a few hours on the Xbox with brothers each week since.
    3. Probably getting my bits from the Scale75 insant colour (contrast paint) and Squidmar brushes kickstarters.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)