Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] Almost there….

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] Almost there….

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 57 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 4 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    0xp

@m30wm1x looking forward to seeing those painted

Painted a rabbit, I call her Roxy

IMG_4110

danlee
    22413xp
    Cult of Games Member

Made more progress on the nymphs today. I need to get them finished in the next 24 hours for my club’s painting competition. I can’t win it as my wife is the judge this round, but I want to see if she recognises my models when I submit the photos. Full project here: https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1467945/#snav

IMG_2240IMG_2241IMG_2242IMG_2243IMG_2244IMG_2245

blinky465
    17025xp
    Cult of Games Member
    • How are you sleeping recently?

Pretty good. I mean, I’m usually coding ’til 1.30am-2am, then up again the next (same?) day around 8am, nine on a lazy day. So a good, solid, six or seven hours a night. I find listening to radio 4 comedies the perfect sedative – asleep within minutes. I could sleep through the apocalypse!

• When was your last round of playing miniatures in the real world with other people then your family?

Years ago. I’ve been trying out a play-by-internet game with my brother-in-law in Italy which has been really exciting these last couple of weeks. I mean, we’re not *blood relatives* but he’s still family. I thought that when the Dice Saloon re-opens in Brighton I make take myself along there – but I’m not sure we’d quite get the same vibe, all masked up and taking turns to approach the table!

• What hobby related upcoming release are you most excited for?

Right now? It’s a bit of a naff answer, but my own game. I’ve spent months on it. It’s been a real f@*king slog but just in the last couple of days, I went from making mechanics to populating the game world with characters and fun stuff like that. I’m actually looking forward to it being finished so I can play it with other people! Already it’s a blast in two-player mode; can’t wait ’til there’s three or four of us!

Other than that, I’ve backed a Blood Bowl terrain Kickstarter that looks really cool. I quite fancy trying Blitz Bowl and making a nice stadium for it.

Let’s get ready to mmmbmmbmbbmmm!

Pledges: I’ve no idea what my last few pledges have been, but I feel I’ve missed them all – mainly from getting distracted with lots of new models (when I take time away from the computer, I go and sit and paint for a few hours to clear the brain). I’ve got four “Judges”  I started, just to give batch painting a go (turns out I’m crap at it, and got bored so they’re still unfinished). So maybe they should just get done. Then again, I’ve a load of cyberpunk stuff I printed recently, perhaps I should make a start on that. Or maybe just get my DOTT diorama finished once and for all….

Music:

Not just one of the best bands of the 90s – still one of the best bands to come out of the UK *ever*. Never outsung, never outdrunk. I think I love The Wildhearts more now than I did when I first bunked off school and carried their amps to a recording studio in return for a cassette of the “Don’t be happy” EP…

blinky465
    17025xp
    Cult of Games Member

@horati0nosebl0wer – Frayle Burn

It’s really not my usual thing at all (I’m more a pop-punk, power-ska kind of fan, probably even moreso than the 80s hair metal I grew up on) but there’s something about it I really like. Nice share!

Is everyone else actually listening to the shared music? There’s been some good stuff on here recently (admitted, a lot of terrible tunes too, but I guess it’s all subjective!)

God damn dirty machanical monkeys!!! Lol

20200711_205334

I took a segue from my regular plan of the Amazons. I picked up a Litko 5 spot skirmish base for 25mm bases from a F-not-LGS as I had business out of town and I’ve been working the final touches for the group.

On a separate note I blame @avernos and you @robert for making me aware of all the wares available from Little Big Man as I tried to figure out what the hell to do with a sprue of Arabian spearmen from Gripping Beast. *waves fist in mock aggression* Seeing the designs for the shields that I have and considering the random warbands I might have just been sucked in sideways to become involved in historicals or perhaps more stuff to use for SAGA Age of Magic. All I wanted was a helmet/turban combo for a display base to add flavor. Though, seriously, if I dropped the cash on the djinn from Raging Heroes could that work as my main badass monster? Hmm… maybe I could do some other of the monsters from the Sinbad films. Shit! Here I was starting to actually save money by painting nothing new.

@blinky465 I listen to stuff here and there on the thread. I know of the artist @limburger tossed on and have enjoyed other work in the motif of “chap-hop”. With your addition I can say that its definitely a more sedate tempo than the metal we sometimes get and hits me just about if you crossed The Ramones and The Grateful Dead (notably ” Touch of Gray”).

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

Got the browns on the Umbers! Very frustrating to paint this much brown…and I feel like the texturing may have worn out one of my older brushes… But the brown is now done! Next up I may add the greys to the cloaks and then the red tabbards…seeing as I can do all of them with one shade.

20200712_003704

danlee
    22413xp
    Cult of Games Member

I finished the Nymphs. It wasn’t until I edited the photos that I noticed the blurred images and mould lines. https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1467945/#snav

IMG_2274IMG_2279IMG_2284IMG_2289IMG_2294IMG_2299

Anonymous
    0xp

Nice @danlee

5EDCA437-35B3-4472-8C28-2BD4210EE4F7

Pug Life.

danlee
    22413xp
    Cult of Games Member

@robert Thanks.

@sundancer the Nymph models come from a Kickstarter called Aeon Trespass. You can still buy most of them from their website. (https://aeontrespass.com/)

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

Weekend almost over, you lot did a very fine job on your hobbies. I didn’t to anything. Sitting here and trying to keep the head together. Awful toothaches since Friday night and not a lot of sleep. Tomorrow morning I’m calling the doctor. Now how to get on with this night? 8pm, XLBS watched and nothing to do… life is grand :S

Hope you lot do better then me 😉

blinky465
    17025xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’ve been printing some of the new Cyber Forge minis this weekend and decided that I really need to heed @lloyd on these to make them shine – faces and bases; I’ve no fear with painting eyes and faces any more but have a strange paranoia about bases. With a resin printer, however, it took just 20 minutes to print 8 full “toppers” for my 32mm bases.

20200608_152208_HDR

The thing is…. I’ve a load of pre-painted minis now with plain boring black disks, so I figured I need to finish them off with some nice basing. I’ve got 3 technical paints in my cart at store.ontabletop.com (armageddon dust, agrellan badland and astrogranite). Before I pull the trigger does anyone have any recommendations?

Most of my minis are for an urban setting, so I’m not a big fan of cracked earth and little grass tufts. I’m hoping I can get away with just smudging on a technical paint, giving it a base and a wash and a simple highlight and calling it done.

Image1

(example of my current basing style – boring black disks!)

Is it going to be as “easy” as slapping on some astrogranite and drybrushing? Or is there something I’m overlooking and am likely to end up making a complete mess of these?

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

@blinky465 I almost exclusively use the Texture paints and they are really simple. It really is just apply wash and drybursh highlight, though with many of them you can skip the wash entirely. When I use the darker Stirland Mud (or Battlemire) I tend not to bother with a shade because it’s dark enough anyway, but that’s personal preference. The only advice I’ll suggest is to leave the Texture Paint to dry overnight. You don’t have to, by any means, but I find it difficult to tell if it has 100% cured so I’ve taken to leaving it that long just to make sure it is. I also use the little spatula ‘brush’ from GW for mine, but it does spread nicely enough with an old brush.

20200712_175015

Done with the Amazon project. Next project commencing!

86655545-5f0be0f75ac99-5f0be0f75ac9a20200712_214146.jpg

@crazyredcoat Its an Umber breakdown>> hah hah hah…. uhhhh. Yeah, an oil painting joke for underpainting a value scale.

@danlee Knowledge is the provider of Mutinus Tutinus. Sometimes its goggles/glasses that just to good things.

@limburger Sometimes these things happen without the booze to blame. Though more often than not it involves the booze

@m30m1x I meant to comment that I love the fact you have Pz IV’s. The more the merrier I say. I wonder what those brushes from Squidmar will be like. I’ve seen his work and I can say I am envious of his skills.

@robert That Roxy needs basing of just the same caliber as her painting. No skimping! Now for the pug I’ll just step back a little and watch from outside club range.

@blinky465 If you really want to do cracked earth and want to avoid the GW markup go for crackle paint medium from an art supply store. A metric butt ton (still a lot even in imperial measurement) of material that will last you a while. As far as the pumice additive I have it takes years to go through a tub and that includes monster work.

*looks through hobby kit and then to poor sundancer and his tooth pain* I’ve bot no hammer, man. But I do have plenty of hobby knives to cut the little buggers out if need be.

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

Another colour blocked in! I’m being rather slow with this, but batch painting for me does take a fair while, oddly.

20200713_004714

The red means that are now obviously House Umber (I’m not painting the chained giant on their chests)! Only one, maybe two, more colours to block then on to shading. I’m going to do the banner separately (so I can do an individual project post for it) and I’m going to be basing the Champion off of Whoresbane Umber, so he’ll end up with a Snow Bear hat and fur.

@horati0nosebl0wer I’m not one for understanding colour theory (everything is physics and wavelengths to me), but an Umber Breakdown sounds like an Umber Hoedown without the music and with extra booze; I’m down to party with some Umbers!

@sundancer Remember when pulling teeth to push down with the pliers, then twist left, then right, then pull out. I have no idea why I know that…

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

@horati0nosebl0wer @crazyredcoat  I really appreciate your concerns and advice… I think… But I’m not Tom Hanks stranded with nothing but a pair of skates and a volley ball… I’ll leave it to the professionals 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)