Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] Dude! It's Friday!

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] Dude! It's Friday!

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 59 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy & paste ###

Read all of this before you start as it will save any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy & paste ###

Questions of the week:

1. We’re nearly 50% through 2020 – how’s your hobby progress?
    2. Are *they* watching us?
    3. What kind of merchandise would OTT fit best? Clothing (Shirts, hoodies, caps, FEZ!!!), gaming accessories (dice, dice bag etc) or something completely different?

Tell us!

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member
    1. slow
    2. yes
    3. clothes, because you only can use that many dice trays.

DUDE!

Anonymous
    0xp

Pledge – Keep painting my ancients and when I get bored with that, I’ll play with the minis from Blackstone Fortress.

We’re nearly 50% through 2020 – how’s your hobby progress?

Good and bad.  Start of the year I got a lot of Dwarfs painted for Kings of War – still have things to finish for that army, but I will go back to it later in the year.  Now it is all about ancients, Celts and Republican Romans and my progress has been okay.  Would like to have gotten back into painting more of my Nurgle stuff and 10mm fantasy but there is still 6 months for that.

Are *they* watching us?

Yes, but I pity the people who have to watch me poo and see me naked.

What kind of merchandise would OTT fit best? Clothing (Shirts, hoodies, caps, FEZ!!!), gaming accessories (dice, dice bag etc) or something completely different?

Unless they release a Lloyd blow up doll, I’m not interested.

edit – got ten minutes earlier to paint a shield

000BDCEA-89D5-4EC1-A602-417954AB89DC

A pledge for the week, don’t spend any more money on upcoming projects. I fell down a rabbit hole of plastic hobby stuff and ordered a load of stuff in my inability to remain patient. HO scale ferns, broadleafed wonder and flowering plants are on the way. I also ordered a sprue of Crusade Arabs from Perry (I think) all off Fleabay to get something I wanted for an upcoming project I have primed and could use some more bits for. Ugh! I cannot save for anything right now. I might need to just hire out my skills to people other than my current occasional patrons.

I will keep at my present project and get the female figure painted to a point I’ll feel good with. I might even get the dino worked on.

• My hobby has been hamstrung by the amount of work I’ve had to do and the number of times that I’ve had to move where I called home. I’m still without a place to set up my full hobby area and lounge with my currently boarded geriatric cat.
    • Are “they” watching us. Yes, lurking in the shadowy parts of this world and making slow and sure inroads to influence our varied societies so that taking control will be a limited effort. The Others is a great example of what to expect in games as much as In the Mouth of Madness shows what literature and film has in store for us.
    • Fezzes FTW! Keep them as limited edition items for purchase after the CoG trial period to promote further patronage to OTT. As far as general clothes I’ll support OTT tees and hoodies. Doing armed security these days I might be able to get away with wearing a cap and have it be mistaken for iron sights of a weapon system.

@robert You have been indoors way too long to desire a Lloyd blow up doll. Don’t you know all the refined delinquents have themselves a life-size Sam bodypillow (a limited edition Japanese import-though there are Chinese knock offs ) and their own 3d printed resin Justin bust in shiny gold (not openly admitted to worshipping it like C3PO by ewoks).

When you need a reason to sit naked in front of your computer and stare aimlessly into a digital abyss

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

1. I’ve actually done more hobby so far this year than in maybe the last 4 years combined…and mainly during The Event (stay indoors).

2. Ah, the conspiracy theory… A friend of mine showed me a hilarious one the earlier today that Humans don’t come from Earth because of a list of reasons and that we must have come from Alpha Centauri…a star…one of those giant nuclear reactors… I would have laughed if it weren’t for the fact that people in university science classes believe this shit…

3. Fez. Always fez.

Work continues on my Luftwaffe Officer. He’s actually not that far away from being done, to be honest, so I think I’ll have to find something else to do after he’s done…

hazyboy75
    16257xp
    Cult of Games Member

Let’s try the right thread this time!

We’re nearly 50% through 2020 – how’s your hobby progress?

Thanks to Covid I’ve been storming through my collections of Marvel, Wild West Exodus and most recently Reichbusters. Discovered if I leave my camera off in my daily Zoom meetings I can get a lot done!

Are *they* watching us?

Of course, I imagine Plane Earth is a top ranking comedy reality show to the rest of the galaxy! Think Tiger King but more twists!

What kind of merchandise would OTT fit best? Clothing (Shirts, hoodies, caps, FEZ!!!), gaming accessories (dice, dice bag etc) or something completely different?

Gaming tables, designed by Warren and built by Justin. Pretty sure they’d end up like Homer Simpson’s car design but I’d buy one!

PLEDGE – This weekend i intend to rattle on through Reichbusters. Finished the Zombies off today which means all the basic goons are done, just got seven heroes left to do.

CD123B2D-7DCC-4DA8-9BAE-402BCECE1F19

MUSIC – You may know him as The Snowman from Smokey and the Bandit, its a classic from Jerry Reed

danlee
    22388xp
    Cult of Games Member

Hi everyone.

This weeks pledge is to try (again) to play a game of Arena: The Contest. I’m struggling to find motivation to set it up in the evenings and play. I also need to pick a unit or two of Ad Mech to assemble and paint up.

I just finished another goblin vampire for my local club’s lockdown painting competition. I think its a great model with lots of character. Full project entry here: https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1467945/#snav

IMG_1811

1. We’re nearly 50% through 2020 – how’s your hobby progress? On track to meet my target of clearing my model backlog (just).
    2. Are *they* watching us? If they are I’m sure their aghast at our incompetence.
    3. What kind of merchandise would OTT fit best? Clothing (Shirts, hoodies, caps, FEZ!!!), gaming accessories (dice, dice bag etc) or something completely different? Clothing is the obvious choice. I think the main thing is that as long as it doesn’t distract too much attention for OTT’s core work it doesn’t matter.

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

Vampiregoblin! Yeah! 8)

Anonymous
    0xp

@danlee can you remember who makes that Goblin Vampire. Cracking sculpt and I do like your paint job. The tone of the skin is spot on.

this evening while watching the weekender I did a bit of base coating and painted some golfing trousers

9DCCAA25-B58E-4E8A-AC89-7258AFD25F47A5B29090-9AC9-4CC2-ABD5-8004C50A52E0

scribbs
    14505xp
    Cult of Games Member

My pledge is to crack on with a dozen Napoleonic British line infantry, aiming to get them finished and based. Depending how quickly that happens, I’ll make a start on some Highlanders.

Questions…

1. I aimed very low with targets this year, just trying to set aside at least one session a week for hobbying, and I managed to keep that up and exceed that very humble ambition.

2. Are ‘they’ watching us? Initially they were, but since so many overtime and anti-social working hours claims from staff, the programme is on hold pending a review.

3. Merchandise? Smoking jacket to go with the fez.

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

I look forward to some British Napoleonics! I ought to find some of mine and get them painted… 😛

@crazyredcoat Yes, the government mandated hobby time has been a blessing in disguise. As Miniac says “Paint More Minis!!! I agree that it must always be a fez option. Just like in Doki Doki Literature Club…. just Monika. (not a game for the easily disturbed by oddity)

@hazyboy75 Do you really trust the amount of production out of Justin when he’s tasked by Warren to build on a mass scale? Let’s look at what happened to the company Homer’s brother ran and how many cars they made from Homer’s design. I agree that there needs to be larger cupholders. As far as Snowman, they should’ve left Smokey and the Bandit off as a oneshot adventure.

@danlee A terrible thought to consider an already sneaky git that gets super-powered with vampire abilities *shudder*. Since Signum Games was just interviewed check out their most recent vamp. Another company with quality figures is Gamezone. Good painting in the project to capture the morbid gobbo. Build better basing in future… “Bases and faces” – Squirrelmaster

http://www.gamezoneminiatures.com/tienda/en/52-vampires

@robert Golf trousers? No no no… we need fighting trousers! But first an intro to a chap that might incite the use of them.

Now to put on our pugilism pants

A Chap Off between two greats! A track made from the two meeting and fighting

@scribbs The staff of The Truman Show got fuloughed as well? Damn, this pandemic truly is hell for all.

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

My Luftwaffe officer is finished, complete with ‘borrowed’ Heer helmet. I should get around to putting up a post soon with background reference. I’m also thinking of digging through some of my random minis and do a KGL Hussar Officer next…the horse will be an interesting challenge…

20200612_194528

Also some music that may not be to everyone’s liking, but it makes me smile. I also love language…even if I’m only fluent in one and shaky in another… 😛

EDIT: Project log is up. It’s mainly just research stuff, but it’s up.

Also, found a song for @robert with his penchant for words of an unorthodox nature…

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by  crazyredcoat.

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

So after some very frustrating searching and finding the right bits, I found my next project: British Napoleonic Hussar Officer of the Kings German Legion! Research on colours will have to be done because I’m a bit rusty on Cavalry Regiments…

20200612_231031

scribbs
    14505xp
    Cult of Games Member

Few highlights left, then basing and sorting out flags.

20200613_083835

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)