Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] my edition is better than yours

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] my edition is better than yours

Supported by (Turn Off)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 58 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • Author

@limburger THAc0 was always above a number and was such a pain even with +(1 to 5) weapons. Anybody could trip over a +1 shortsword of bugger-all and finally be able to hit any creature that required a magical weapon but it would require a +5 greatsword of greater cleavage (not a real item in the Encyclopedia Magica but might make for an interesting cursed item)to put a dent in a dragon or other such mythical monster.

I think Monty Hall style DMing put that in its place for over the top power gaming. Lord of the Rings definitely had an impact to create the game and I think it had its own version of power creep pre-built.

I’ll see that urge for Roman stuff with that of my parcel that arrived from Eureka Miniatures in that down under place where summer is in full swing. My minis are of an Asian persuasion that I will reveal for a future army (best to keep Tim and Gerry guessing, but don’t tell them).

@blinky465 The build of blocks there just remind me of Escher’s work and the scene in Labyrinth of running about in it.

You only do pancakes as a limited occasion breakfast item? *shrug* OK. They normally were great things to have on camping trips when I was in scouts because all you had to worry about was the weight of the powder and the water you brought with to cook.

@jeffersonpowers Welcome to the Circle, here’s your foldout chair, complimentary loaner cultists robe and (as sundancer will be glad to show you) there is a coffee mess over there. Feel free to plumb the depths of mini madness with us in The Cult of Games.

@sundancer Savory pancakes? Good sir I think you might be doing thinking of wonderful naan which is not cooked anywhere the same. Speaking of that, I really do feel the need for some lamb vindaloo. My mouth waters at the thought of such yummy spicy goodness.

@pagan8th Ah! That all makes sense now

@wolfie65 *nod nod* Decisions for book design are not all the same. I look back with a fondness to the art style of Mordheim. I think that, at the time, White Wolf did a good job with their art and layout with fonts and think recently the concept of going at a game in the same way was done justice by the producers of Mörk Borg and Cy_Borg.

Ok, I’ll come back to the dust-up after work and see how things pan out.

sundancer
    42797xp
    Cult of Games Member

Savory pancakes? Good sir I think you might be doing thinking of wonderful naan which is not cooked anywhere the same. Speaking of that, I really do feel the need for some lamb vindaloo. My mouth waters at the thought of such yummy spicy goodness.

No my dear @horati0nosebl0wer I do mean savoury pancakes! We do know naan bread which is lovely in it’s own right. Great. Now I’m getting hungry and still 2 more hours until I’m home!

pagan8th
    Participant
    10226xp

@horati0nosebl0wer almost every female warrior depicted in fantasy art over the last few decades has been wielding a sword of greater cleavage… or so it appears…

Apart from this one… from an old issue of dragon…

https://landofnoddotblog.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/87382-dragon50_07.jpg

limburger
    21634xp
    Cult of Games Member

sword of greater cleavage ?

I think I want one of those … 🙂

Yes, the great Pundancer has more food for thought as he ambles through his day to the weekend. Good news, I’m on the mend from a malady and the convention this weekend will be all the better for it. Thinking about it, he may be right about coffee in the morning being a way to keep disease at bay.

@pagan8th Land of Nod, I will need to look into this. The style reminds me of Bodé and what I remember of watching “Wizards”/coming from the mid 70s into the 80s.

@limburger I think the codpiece is lacking something. Furry leggings! Everybody knows that when you’re in the cold you need the proper boots. From Conan to modern dance culture these are mandatory trope equipment items. Sculpts by Kev White on Hasslefree show them for his barbarians and even Big Boris at Heresy shows off the love of furry footwear.

As a side note I’m now excited for a videogame adventure that I was not aware of. Unicorn Overlord is about to come out and, not since Metal SAGA (yes, dating myself here) have I wanted to just randomly drop into an Atlus game without much research. My nostalgia itch is scratched and the art/dynamics are easy enough as it was for Dragon’s Crown.

This all started with a collaboration between SEGA (not SAGA), Atlus and Hero Forge with regard to game accurate decals. It’s an interesting way to market and I applaud the idea the same way that World of Tanks had a skin for their Pz.Kpfw. IV Auf H had a skin from the anime series Girls Und Panzer. @johnlyons can provide backup on this when he’s not buried in mecha.

ced1106
    Participant
    6224xp

> Second edition rules are often a bug fix for the first edition which is useful… although they often break as much as they fix.

Even moreso with KS — assuming the company didn’t go belly-up after or before 1st edition! ):

Gloomhaven’s a little odd in that nobody complained about the 1st edition. Then they made a 2nd edition and everyone started complaining. 😛

Not GH, but here’s Crimson Scales, free PnP expansion for GH, with Wildspire Miniature’s Monster set, available retail on Amazon. We successfully killed off the last cultist (goblin shaman riding a cotton cloud) but two guys didn’t make it, including the newbie. 😀

IMG_4847.thumb.jpg.54f52a392f253ada2086d0ca52142898

limburger
    21634xp
    Cult of Games Member

People will complain about any change to things they are used to … even if the change is for the greater good.

Two weeks until I officially get my new house. It’s weird how such things start to feel more real as the date gets closer.
    If the previous owners hadn’t asked for a delay I would be in my second week of actually owning a house of my own.

There should not be any 1:1 scale terrain work to do, but I won’t know for sure until I get the keys and see the empty house for real. Definitely will have to get new curtains. There’s also at least one wall that needs a new coat of paint or wallpaper. I can probably ignore the garden.

Not sure what the timeline will be like, because when I got my current appartment I had only one bedroom worth of things to move. Now I actually own furniture, but I also know that it won’t be enough to fill the house.
    In theory I should have everything packed and ready to move … but somehow can’t get a decent start.

And then there’s a few kickstarters that are inbound … where I have to hope I can change address or intercept them before I’ve completed my move.

oh well … time to do some adulting I think.

sundancer
    42797xp
    Cult of Games Member

“adulting”

Naaaaah. That will never catch on.

Also no weekender completely throws my plans out the window! How am I supposed to hobby!

Random side note: Mel the terrain tutor has gone down the slippery slope of discord.

https://discord.gg/wyBxMDR2

Not sure if it’s an open invite code but he posted it on the free tier of his patreon.

Discord is starting to clog up like IRCnet. Way to many channels XD

pagan8th
    Participant
    10226xp

I remember Discord… daughter of Ares in Xena iirc.

sundancer
    42797xp
    Cult of Games Member

Happy Sunday.

No weekender, no new thread. Just in case anyone was wondering. Have a nice weekend everybody.

blinky465
    17027xp
    Cult of Games Member

Have a nice weekend everybody

It’s the first day in about four weeks when I’ve got some time to myself and it’s not raining. So that means I’m out painting the front of the house. Which means I’m having a pretty shitty weekend and will just have to ride out the coming week and hope next weekend is better.

But thanks for the sentiment anyway!

sundancer
    42797xp
    Cult of Games Member

It’s 1:1 scale terrain painting! Just don’t do weathering.

limburger
    21634xp
    Cult of Games Member

Haven’t you heard ?

1:1 scale weathering is the new hot thing.

I’ve been doing some research on the 1:1 scale painting I may need to do to make everything look pretty.
    And one of the wallpaper suggestions was : tear a piece of on purpose …

There’s also structure paint (not sure the exact name in English) which you ‘paint’ on a wall in order to make it look like concrete.

I can’t decide wether to laugh or cry when reading such things.

blinky465
    17027xp
    Cult of Games Member

No weathering. And no messing about with two thin coats either!
    One thick coat – no messing about! Don’t worry about clogging details just slap the paint on there!

Strangely, I found a really good technique for getting rid of brush marks and getting a nice, consistent finish in a single coat – I paint like Bob Ross! You know that bit where he really scrubs his brush into the canvas? That’s how to get rid of streaks and blotchiness (especially on an outdoor, heavily textured surface like pebbledash). Load up the brush, one solid horizontal swoosh across to get the paint on the wall, then “blend it” using heavy up-and-down strokes (like overbrushing but dragging the brush through wet paint on each stroke).

In fact, not a single one of my mini painting skills has been of any use at all. Unless you count having a brew every ten minutes and spending more time admiring your work than actually getting on with it. I’m champion at that!

Real life accomplishments of having a home? Sounds like a faraway fantasy that got cooked up. If there’s hobby space in future and no pics, I’ll call it made up. Really though, congrats @limburger.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)