Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] sleepyhead

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] sleepyhead

Supported by (Turn Off)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 23 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy and paste ###

First time visitor to OTT? Then please introduce yourself in the New Member Thread and look around in the Project System. Then come back and read on…

https://www.beastsofwar.com/forums/topic/introduce-yourselves-new-member-thread/

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/

Read all of this before you start as it will save you any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil. This includes no philosophy, no home computer culture wars.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy and paste ###

Question of the week:

• Everybody make up your own. I’m back to bed. Maybe tomorrow will see more of me. Today was zero internet day for reasons… apart XLBS, Emails and this post.

limburger
    21591xp
    Cult of Games Member

Here’s one question :

If you had to build your ideal hobby room … what would it look like ?

’cause that’s kind of my challenge now that I’ve got a whole house to myself 😀

There’s shelves behind those sliding doors with the Elephants, so I think I don’t need to add more storage, but more is better right ?

20240303_16172620240303_16173020240303_161739

There’s a smaller room I’m planning to turn into an office space for my computer.

And I’ve got the living room + kitchen area to do as well.

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

Monday morning. Feeling better now.

Pledge: getting *something* painted. Hobby is at a low again.

The ideal hobby room. Well that depends on the space I would have available for it.

• A dedicated hobby room which contains all paints and storage and hobby area except enough space for actual gaming: maximise space efficiency to get the most out of every inch of possible storage.
    • A room with enough space to add a small gaming table: still go for maximum storage but try to make it look nice. Glas door cabinets for painted stuff etc
    • A room big enough for a full on gaming table: hide the storage and make it look all shiny.
    • A “room” (or dungeon) like @warzan has: LEEEEROY JENKINS! Just do whatever you feel like. Only to be redoing it again in 2 years time when everything is clogged up with random stuff.

Some classic music to get the old pump running:

pagan8th
    Participant
    9858xp

My pledge is to reboot a stalled One Ring campaign and integrate a new character into it without disruption. Last attempt did not go well… hence stalled. I have the Moria alpha playtest and by the end of the year I will have the full book (hopefully) and be ready to send them into Khazad Dum.

My ideal hobby room has a table large enough for wargaming with space around for ‘oversized’ gamers and space around that for storing books, games and work surface.

I needs good daylight for painting, good overhead lighting for games night and spot lighting for painting corner.

And I’d lose the purple door… it’s horrible. The elephants can stay.

limburger
    21591xp
    Cult of Games Member

And I’d lose the purple door… it’s horrible.

Yep … it is very horrible indeed. At least someone agrees with me on that.

Currently thinking of :

1. a table suitable for games.
      +/- 180 cm x 120 cm appears to be the norm for ‘big’ games, not sure how much ‘extra’ space is needed to use the thing.
    2. a desk for painting/airbrush with dedicated lights(*)
      Currently : 80cm x 80cm Ikea desk (Vangsta?)
    3. a desk for assembly/generic hobby with dedicated lights (*)
      Currently : 120 cm x 95 cm computer desk
    4. storage space near the desk for paints and projects
    5. 2 chairs for the gaming table
    6. 1 chair for the painting/assembly desk

(*) the lights are on an assembly made out of 32 mm pvc pipes. There’s a bit of cleanup to do to make them look good (and to hide the wires), but the concept has proven to be very useful.

I hadn’t thought of the amount of light the gaming table itself needed. I has to be something that can provide atmosphere while not being too dark, although there’s a decent sized window.

I’m not worried about “oversized” gamers because I’m normal sized myself. 😀

Theming the room is the hardest part. I kind of want it to look like a war room, but am having zero ideas as to what such a thing would look like. There’s a few posters in my collection I could add as decoration.

I’m thinking ‘tardis blue’ for doors … heck, maybe even a TARDIS door just for fun.

hmmm … maybe I should add this to my project 🙂

danlee
    22413xp
    Cult of Games Member

This week’s pledge is to work on a Rascal Town goblin from Rogue Hobbies. These are larger scale, rather whimsical models and I felt like doing something different.

@limburger look to get a nice display cabinet so you can put your favourite minis on display – or your most commonly used minis can be readily accessible.

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

As for a gaming table I’m thinking about something with 2 IKEA Kallax as base. Two of those 2×4 version laid flat back to back. That’s a table high of 77cm and a surface of 147x78cm to put a top on. Plus you have ample storage to use beneath.

Tuesday. I’m tired. I seem to have caught some kind of “late con crud/flu/cold”. Really looking forward to my week of when Easter comes around.

pagan8th
    Participant
    9858xp

I’ve been ill for over a week and went sick last saturday. My managers thoughtfully asked me on sunday if I’d be in work the next day.

Whatever I have has left me feeling drained of energy. I got tired out watching Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning. Even making a cuppa seems an effort. I’m too old for this shit…

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

Sounds familiar. I hope tonight’s stream won’t be to tiresome XD

limburger
    21591xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundancer that Kallax idea as a base is an interesting concept.

Google has already given me semi useless links to ‘Ikea Hack’ websites (not sure why something like painting a table is a ‘hack’ … but hey anything apparently qualifies these days), which may solve the “how do I secure the tabletop question” I was having already.

oh … and one thing I have to think about is how to get such a tabletop up the stairs.

I’ve found a local DIY chain that does allow for custom table sizes, but at 600 Euro for a table of +/- 200 x 120 cm that’s a bit high. It’s not quite as expensive as a dedicated gamingtable from the likes of Geek’n’sons though.

The blue/yellow store is a lot cheaper though.

blinky465
    17025xp
    Cult of Games Member

The perfect hobby room?
    I already have mine! I purpose built a workshop at the bottom of my garden a few years ago (the “bungalow” as my wife calls it). It’s brilliant! Full of cool stuff for my electronics, guitars hanging around, plenty of space for laser cutter and 3d printers…. and, of course, plenty of space for miniatures and painting.
    The only trouble is, I let it get very messy, very quickly. But it’s my ideal hobby room. I love it!
    (though my wife and I recently discussed the idea of moving house, so it’s quite possible that I’ll have to create another one some time later in the year if the move does go ahead!).
    It’s late and it’s dark, otherwise I’d post photos. Maybe tomorrow…..

In fact, I’ve just been in the bungalow, laser-cutting and messing about with electronics, and making an animated “Full Tilt” game. It’s still very early days, but I’m documenting progress over on my nerd blog (I tried using the project system here on OTT and I never want to get to that level of frustration ever again!). I might summarise it in a little project over here, when it’s done.

Once again I feel like I’m flying in the face of popular consensus – while everyone else here seems to be ill or fed up (or both) I’m having a lovely time and really enjoying my hobby. Even having to get into the crawl space under my house and unblock a super-stinky kitchen drain that had been emptying straight into the garden and leaving a river of foul grey slime for weeks wasn’t enough to put me in a bad mood. I’m feel pretty chipper! Sorry for you guys who are having a hard time of it.
    Maybe it’s because my Fanatic Mega Paint Set is due to arrive some time after next weekend – I’m really looking forward to getting down to some painting before the end of the month.

@limburger – are you keeping the elephants? Or replacing them with some kind of full-length 40k warzone scene maybe? I quite like the door – maybe not the colour, but the blacklining that makes it look like it’s not really a door, but something you’ve drawn on the wall with a jumbo Sharpie, is pretty cool!

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

It’s still very early days, but I’m documenting progress over on my nerd blog

You can’t water peoples mouths with juicy blogs and not give us the link. LINK! @blinky465

To be honest: my ideal hobby room would be in a home I own and not rent. But that’s still a pipe dream and I’m not even smoking.

Back to coffee and work!

limburger
    21591xp
    Cult of Games Member

@blinky465  the elephants are staying if at all possible. The doorframe is not black, but a dark purple.

I kind of wish it was black now 🙂

// —

It’s funny how plans become more real when you see things in real life.
    I didn’t have any good ideas before, but now I am seeing possibilities.

Unfortunately I either need to hire someone to execute them or attempt a fair bit of DIY myself.
    Both options are going to cost money and time no matter what I do.
    The various youtube videos make it all appear to be so effortless, which I kind of doubt is realistic.

Of course if I mess things up I can always get a pro to fix it afterwards … and as it is meant to be a hobby room anyway there’s room for error. Another option is to claim that it was intentional 😀

Same thing applies to the room I’m planning for my computer/office space. The minty green wall in that one is a bit too minty green and it’s got the same purple door.

The 3rd room used to be a bedroom for the kids of the previous owners, so the wallpaper on the one wall has got to go. It will be my first proper DIY project in my new home. I think I will know if I want to do more DIY after that’s done. 😉

I hope that once I get those 3 rooms done I will know if I dare to attempt the living room myself.

blinky465
    17025xp
    Cult of Games Member

My wife and I have been decorating our house, with a view to getting it ready to go on the market.
    @limburger – Normally I’m a big fan of strong colours, but there is something in whacking boring old white on the walls and skirting boards, neutral floors and then splashing the colour with your furniture and accessories. It certainly makes everywhere feel clean and fresh. And if you’ve just taken on someone else’s old house, it’s nice to make the place your own rather than live with someone else’s colour choices!

@sundancer – https://nerdsareback.blogspot.com/
    The backstory to this blog is I used to run a nerd club blog (2011-2019) where I’d document the goings on at our local hackspace (the BuildBrighton hackspace was one of the first in the UK). A few of us would make cool stuff, and then we’d write about it in the blog. We’d get about 3,000 views a day, so it was moderately popular (archive to 2017 is at https://nerdclub-uk.blogspot.com/ but I forget where the last two years went).

A few months back, I made an effort to get in touch with a few mates and we started messing about with electronics again. I showed off some of the stuff I’d been doing since lockdown with minis and tiny LEDs and stuff and we just sort of …. well, started a blog again. (ok, I started the blog, charting – so far – my own developments in our little group of three-or-four middle-aged-men-with-nothing-better-to-do).

pagan8th
    Participant
    9858xp

@limburger if you are trying wallpapering and it’s your first attempt I would go for the ‘paste the wall approach’.

Pasting paper then hanging it wet requires more skill. Paste the wall is a lot easier. Shop around for the right materials.

Painting walls, ceilings and woodwork is not difficult, just time consuming. Play some music you like and get on with it.

Make sure you don’t get confused and dip your paint brush in your cup of tea 🙂

And don’t try this…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)