Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] silent weekend

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] silent weekend

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 49 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  oriskany 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • Author

blinky465
    17025xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundancer – I got excited when I saw “on the road again” and thought “I wonder how Canned Heat will cover than one? Could be interesting…” (then pressed play and realised it wasn’t the song I was thinking of!)

I went to meet up with family for the first time in about five months yesterday (it was at a National Trust gardens somewhere near Oxford, which seemed a fair compromise as we were driving up from Brighton, and they down from Birmingham). Mrs Blinky suggest we took the van up the day before and stayed overnight – we stayed at a campsite called “The Pig Place” where a few people starting playing some country (acoustic) music as the sun went down while we sat around on the outdoor settees, by the side of the Oxford Union Canal. It was beautiful.

I think we’re going to have to get a canal boat again (we lived on one for a few years, about ten years ago). Which means not going back to “regular” working hours is going to be all the more important! Shame that the prices on boats has gone crazy this year (hopefully the market will calm down in a few months, as people realise the winter mooring fees are quite a spendy way of getting a “cheap holiday” for the summer, and look to sell their boats again!)

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

Well…. there are more songs than names it seems 😉

Ladies and gentlemen this is your captain again. We’re still experiencing more turbulence with waves of normality and we’ll be climbing to new heights of wrongness in order to avoid further disturbance. Please keep your seats upright and tray tables stowed while we get through this.

danlee
    22413xp
    Cult of Games Member

I finished these off last night while watching the unofficial hobby hangout. Full project here: https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1467945/#snav

IMG_2692IMG_2691

I think I will go on to paint some more Aeon Trespass Nymphs next.

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

Following on from a conversation on the hobby hangout yesterday, I was thinking of going for a hike in the Niagara Glen and taking some pictures of the scenery. Not sure when I’ll head out there, but there’s plenty for reference images down there from rocks, to rapids, to glaciated terrain! I’ll keep people up to date! On another note, it was cool enough to prime Tyrion, so work will begin on him soon…unless I just smash my laptop because the keys just don’t want to bloody work…

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

You might want do blow some compressed air under the keys to get them clean again… small pieces of dirt tend to block the keys on laptops.

blinky465
    17025xp
    Cult of Games Member

So other than messing about at pig-themed campsites, and making little city-terrain buildings (project update later) what else has been going on at Nerd Towers, here on the south coast of England?

Well, my tiny LEDs arrived. And, man, are they tiny.

IMG20200813114701

That’s a 0402 LED – the smallest LED currently used in consumer electronics. As you can see from the photo, it’s literally the size of a speck of dust – I didn’t intent to have a speck of dust on my finger, but I’d just been drilling some resin miniatures, so you get an idea for scale – my tiny, stubby, Trump-like hands always make things look bigger 😉

IMG20200813114742

So instead, I thought I’d try the much more sensibly-sized 0603 LEDs instead. Amazingly, I managed to get three of them soldered together with a common cathode (or was it common anode, I can never remember….)

So I found some cylon miniatures on Thingiverse (they’re actually a *little bit* bigger than regular 32mm – if a 32mm character is, say, 6ft/2m these guys would be around 6’9″ or 2.2m or thereabouts – still “in scale”, just “quite tall”. I’m going to pretend that Cylons were supposed to be taller than humans).

IMG20200813120144

Because I had three LEDs plus a common ground (or power, I forget which) I needed not two, but four wires running through the body of the miniature. I discovered that my usual-sized cylinder was just that little bit too narrow to fit so many wires down, so had to drill the minis out with a 1mm bit)

I whacked some 36AWS-gauge, enamelled magnet/transformer wire through the hole (enamelled means it doesn’t have the plastic coating, making it that little bit slimmer to fit through) and soldered on some LEDs

IMG20200813114419

I think I’ve gone about as small as I can go. There are only three LEDs for my “larson scanner” – ideally I’d have liked four or more – so the effect will be less of a “swoosh” from side to side and more a “left-middle-right-middle- ” type animation. But who knows…. it might still look cool, right?

IMG20200813115047

I’m still marvelling at getting 3 LEDs inside a 3mm wide gap…..

Now to program a PIC microcontroller and get this thing flashing! (sorry, Arduino fans, the AVR atmega328 is physically too big, and too over-powered for a simple LED flicker routine, so I’ll probably just “dead bug” a 12-pin PIC or something onto the underside of the base). I’ll need to see the extremities of the animation to be able to glue the LEDs into the correct place inside the helmet (if it’s a little bit off, the animation won’t go full side-to-side, which would be a shame at this late stage!)

@sundancer – we’ll soon know whether your idea for an animated cylon was genius or bonkers…..

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

The idea was bonkers but you actually trying it… if that works that’s an instant golden button from me.

*Agog* The bloody fool took up that idea and actually ran with it.

@blinky465 Well… it looks like yet another project that was spawned by random chatter in the thread. Who’ll be the one to take up modding Chewbacca with a Giftmas theme for @sundancer ‘s increasing collection of Star Wars Legion to create a North Pole battle report the likes of @oriskany ?

Didn’t @brennon  find a model to work from?

limburger
    21591xp
    Cult of Games Member

Wow … those are tiny leds.
    It reminds me of the video in which Adam Savage showed a few really tiny screws he’d been given by a fan

More sane music needed … technically covers, but good so

Thank @tuffyears for posting this artist in the chillout bar over at the OTT Discord server.

tuffyears
    23171xp
    Cult of Games Member

@limburger who doesn’t love a 7 foot tall  clown with a voice of an angel

tuffyears
    23171xp
    Cult of Games Member

this is my personal favourite by puddles

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

@sundancer I have tried cleaning out my keyboard, but with it being a laptop that’s not always easy. The bigger problem is the overheating, and I think the two are connected as the keys work fine when the computer isn’t too hot… I think she really needs a good cleaning all over, but that’s such a pain in the arse with the heat sinks and what not needing to be taken out… Alas, it will have to be done soon…

In other news, I’ve been putting more thought into Tyrion (who I will probs start painting at some point today) with regards to colours. I was thinking about how ‘out of place’ Cersei is going to look in her green gown when looking at the whole army, so I think I’m going to use Tyrion to help tie her in. Long story short, Tyrion’s undershirt and trousers will be the same green as Cersei’s gown while his sleeveless jacket will be the reds of Lannister, hopefully tying all of Tywin’s children together through shared colours and their hair. We’ll have to see…

blinky465
    17025xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundancer – so I made a quick and dirty “larson scanner” from a PIC 16F1825 (running at 1Mhz, with lots of sleep commands, to reduce battery consumption) and etched a PCB to try things out

IMG20200813200440

There’s no way of avoiding spoilers – it worked a treat! (though the bloom is enhanced thanks to the camera auto white balance; it’s much clearer in real life!)

I balanced the head on – I need to get some “proper” glue to make sure the LEDs are held in place for the whole time that it dries – I don’t want the LEDs rotating inside the head while the glue goes off, to make him look “cock-eyed”.

I’ve got to wait for the glue to be fully dried before I can paint him. It’ll be the usual trick – blue tack over the visor, a coat of primer (probably skipping the white zenith stage, though I might use grey for some edging and then hit it with Contrast Black Templar) then over-painting the helmet to get rid of any “light leakage” so the LED only glows out of the visor.

It’s early days, but I reckon this might just work.

It turns out, @sundancer , that you’re not a mad lunatic after all…..

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

OMG THATS A THING OF BEAUTY! 8)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)