Skip to toolbar

I am after a Pulp style of RPG has anyone got any suggestions

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion I am after a Pulp style of RPG has anyone got any suggestions

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 18 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  panzerkaput 2 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

panzerkaput
    33931xp
    Cult of Games Member

I am after a Pulp style of RPG that has the feel of a 30s pulp book without the horror, superheroes but with intrigue and suspense. The film noir stuff.

Any suggestions

If you take the idea of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow then maybe Aces High would work unless you’re trying for more thinhs like playing through an episode of The Phantom, Buck Rogers or Dick Tracy radio broadcasts.

Essentially, from the deacription I’ve read, its dieselpunk with aircraft as in Crimson Skies. I think you’d have to dig a bit to find it though.

onlyonepinman
    18054xp
    Cult of Games Member

I don’t know if it’s still available but there was a setting that was part of Savage Worlds called “Deadlands Noir”, it was a follow on, set about 60 years after, the original Deadland Weird Wild West game.

brennon
    Keymaster
    30340xp

Savage Worlds is a pretty good roleplaying system for Pulp adventure. I’ve used it to run numerous one-shots.

panzerkaput
    33931xp
    Cult of Games Member

That sounds very interesting and I will have a look for that

panzerkaput
    33931xp
    Cult of Games Member

Cheers there Savage Worlds has been mentions to me too. Going to look for that too

torros
    23802xp
    Cult of Games Member

TOON!

Or TORG with the Egyptian supplement

midnightblue
    Participant
    1285xp

Wow…so many great ones out there, but just a few off the top of my head.

1. Hollow Earth Expedition RPG (Ubiquity System)

2. For Film Noir…A Dirty World (Arc Dream Publishing and the ORE system)

3. D6 Adventure (D6 system, might even be able to find it at DriveThru free)

4. Spirit of the Century (FATE System)

5. John Carter RPG (2d20 system)

6. Flash Gordon RPG (Savage Worlds system)

7. Noir World

8. Thrilling Tales (Savage Worlds)

9. Temples & Tombs (Year Zero Engine)

10. Zorro D6 (D6 system)

11. (Victorian Pulp) Space 1889 (Ubiquity system)

12. Victorian Pulp) Leagues of Adventure (Ubiquity system)

And currently you have two other Pulp offerings on Kickstarter:

13. Broken Compass – https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/twolittlemice/broken-compass-adventure-is-back/description

14. Pulp Alley (Skirmish miniature table top gaming) – https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/215605515/pulp-alley-tabletop-game?ref=user_menu

Okay…that’s more than a few…

🙂

slayerofworlds
    Participant
    3449xp

You should use “Pulp Cthulhu”, literally fits all your needs and is an awesome game system.  Its even already set in the 30’s, and has some adventures (that can be used for ideas).

Do not let the Cthulhu tag scare you off.  You do not have to include/use any of the sanity mechanics or the use any of the Horror Aspects of the Mythos in your games.   The system runs just fine with out them.   Its easy to learn, and robust as well.  It can be used for any era really or genre.

The system has a built in LUCK mechanics that really help with the Pulp feel for games, even the escaping sure death moments.  Also, Pulp of Cthulhu comes with built in mechanics for weird science as well.    Its all skill based, and its foundation is on investigation.

limburger
    21550xp
    Cult of Games Member

I used to think I needed thick rulebooks with tons of options to play a rpg in a given setting.
    Now I’m more likely to think of the opposite.

Grab something nice and simple (OSR or basic D&D ) and work from there.
    Finding good source material for world building and scenarios may be the trickiest bit.

Has “Castle Falkenstein” been mentioned ?
    It’s probably closer to Victorian era and not the era mentioned, but it may have good ideas worth scavenging.

(I got my copy through one of them HumbleBundle things … digital only, but that’s ok)

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?filters=0_2140_400_0_0&src=fid2140

panzerkaput
    33931xp
    Cult of Games Member

Now that is a good idea, especially as I have a ton of stuff for Castle Falkenstein already and i love the gaming system

pagan8th
    Participant
    9574xp

Hollow Earth Expeditions is one of my favourites.

Pulp Cthulhu.

Savage Worlds.

There’s the the 2d20 systems by Modiphius… Achtung Cthulhu and John Carter of Mars.

Mean Streets.

Thrilling Tales.

Mutants and Masterminds has a Pulp variant too.

avernos
    Keymaster
    33717xp

Gumshoe

panzerkaput
    33931xp
    Cult of Games Member

Gumshoe I have not heard of that one @avernos who is it by?

panzerkaput
    33931xp
    Cult of Games Member

I am going to have to look at for the Pulp Cthulhu thanks pagan8th

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)