Skip to toolbar

Machina Arcana Live on Kickstarter

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion Machina Arcana Live on Kickstarter

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  turbocooler 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

turbocooler
    Participant
    4053xp

Let me put this as the first line.  I am NOT affiliated with this company but I was a backer from the first KS back in 2013!

The game is Machina Arcana

In Machina Arcana, players take on the role of explorers who are investigating an ancient subterranean complex of unknown origin. They face monsters inspired by H. P. Lovecraft’s Cthulhu mythos in a steampunk setting. The adventurers collect equipment, interact and utilize their environment, fight monsters, and immerse themselves in the rich narrative elements.

The complete story is broken down into different scenarios that represent a self-contained game. All of these scenarios contain chapters, each with its own narration and specifics. The objective of the game is to progress through the tale and face the endgame at the finale of each scenario.

The main goal behind Machina Arcana is to provide players with a chilling game that can never be played the same way, mechanisms that enable varying strategies and approaches, and an extensive framework that combines everything smoothly. The game scales by default; there is no need for special conditions based on the player count.

The quote is from the BGG dedicated game page.

I would like to add that is plays well as solo game as well as four players.  It has RPG elements as you level up.  There are some interesting mechanics such as if your character dies you can use a new hero or you can become one of the monsters and you turn from friend to foe.  It has a branching story line like a choose your adventure game and there are enough branches and events that lead you a different way that it will be hard to play the same exact game twice.  In a break from most games and to keep the game lower in cost and instead intensely focus on the story you are trying to play out, there are no miniatures but you could EASILY use Malifaux  miniatures in the game.

In a future expansion the creator is also looking at creating more content so that a person could DM the game use the game and the game world as an RPG where battles and events happen with the context of the game but where you go and the story is managed by the DM.  The DM role would be more story driven but events and branching points could handled by the DM instead of the dice or cards.

IMHO, it is one of the best games that nobody is playing.  The first edition of the game has very limited release because it was a small publisher with limited funds and little exposure.  The new KS is taking retail orders.

Anyway, my friendly Beasts, I was hoping that I could put this on your radar. The game is already funded mostly by people of the first KS.  I am getting zero for posting this but maybe I could get a truly amazing unique game some needed exposure.  For me, this is one of those games that if the house was on fire, this is the one I am taking off the shelf to keep with me while the rest burn.  Anyway, hope you check it out and least learn about a cool new game even if you do not pledge at all.

turbocooler
    Participant
    4053xp

The campaign has 15 days to go.  In a recent KS update, they released this interactive puzzle.

http://machinaarcana.com/interactive/

If you have not played the original version of Machina Arcana or are curious about what Machina Arcana is or how it plays, give the puzzle a try.  If you find the puzzles too easy and you make it to the end without dying at least once, then Machina Arcana is not for you.  If you find the puzzle a challenge and like challenges, then welcome to the game.  You now have a flavor of how the game will play.  The puzzle, much like the game, has multiple chapter endings.  In this case, there are 5 possible endings purely determined by the decisions you make.  Perhaps you will agree that this game is not your standard dungeon crawl or survival horror game, it is much more.

Even if you do not pledge for the game, have fun with the puzzle.  No knowledge of the game is required to play.  It is a nice break from normal things usually going around in daily life.  Posted this just because it is a nice example of why many like the game so much.

turbocooler
    Participant
    4053xp

Join the 17-Sept-18 Twitch stream of Machina Arcana!
    https://www.twitch.tv/events/08hTM_woTVWUh9_0-Ba_mw

The designer of the game will be playing the game as a single horror adventure, and the rules are as follows:
    – one player / one explorer
    – short game (just 3 chapters)
    – easy settings (not lowering rating sliders)
    – and… no weapons allowed!

turbocooler
    Participant
    4053xp

Amazing high production value tutorials starting to roll out for the game.  Many more coming over the next few days and weeks.

davehawes
    7768xp
    Cult of Games Member

Thanks for sharing and keeping up-to-date on this project. Always handy to have all the useful info collected together like this.

turbocooler
    Participant
    4053xp

It is a great game and great project.  One of the few project I have backed that has so many helpful and positive comments among the backers.  The team behind the game is very engaged.  I love being part of this project as a backer.  They remind very much like the team behind Mythic Games.

turbocooler
    Participant
    4053xp

The campaign is 600% above its funding goal and there are no more stretch goals left!  However, if one looks a the latest update, there will be no more stretch goals but they are still adding content daily!!   And after the campaign is complete, will have a place for gamers to create unique content and the developers will be able to add additional content as well to keep the story alive.  Eventually, backers will be able to vote on favorite content from both the company and backers that will show up in a future expansion.  Very cool.

Also, interview with the designer

[ENG] Machina Arcana – interview with designer, Juraj Bilich

Great work from an indie designer!  The project should be a benchmark for other companies.

turbocooler
    Participant
    4053xp

The Kickstarter has now doubled the number of backers from the first edition of the game and continues to grow.

Here is the music that was written specifically for the first edition of the game but still works.

If you plan on having a party for Halloween or atmosphere music for any horror games, this also works nicely.  Note there are 13 scores and I am just linking to the first one.  All of them available for free on YouTube or the various download sites for MP3 (e.g. Amazon, Google Play, Spotify etc.)

turbocooler
    Participant
    4053xp

Machina Arcana ~ From Beyond -- Kicktraq Mini

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by  turbocooler.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)