Skip to toolbar

Starting Blood Red Skies – Tips Please!

Home Forums Historical Tabletop Game Discussions Starting Blood Red Skies – Tips Please!

Supported by (Turn Off)

Related Games:

Related Companies:

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  brennon 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

brennon
    Keymaster
    30516xp

Hello folks. I want to dive into Blood Red Skies but don’t want to go down the Pacific route. I was wondering what I would need to almost replicate the Battle Of Britain set that originally came out. Is it a case of just getting a couple of boxed sets and it’ll be sorted?

Admittedly, if anyone knew if there was a Battle Of Britain set out there that someone didn’t want, I’d also be up for scooping that!

• This topic was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  brennon.

pagan8th
    Participant
    9858xp

Wasn’t aware that the Battle of Britain starter was out of print. That seems a bad decision by Warlord.

Afraid mine is not for sale, but the box contains:

IMG_20240609_162239_edit_479159622658021

brennon
    Keymaster
    30516xp

Cheers – yeah the only one you seem to be able to get is the Airfix one. I will see if there’s a way to get the bits and and bobs as a possibility

limburger
    21591xp
    Cult of Games Member

Isn’t the Airfix one the slightly upscaled version of the same set ?

(as in : bigger models ?)

It sucks if you want to expand with additional planes, but if you’re only using the core bits that shouldn’t be much of an issue.

brennon
    Keymaster
    30516xp

Ahhh…do I could get that the just buy some smaller RAF and German planes I guess?

pagan8th
    Participant
    9858xp

The airfix box has only 2 planes per side instead of the 6 of the original release, so you might be short some tokens and the rulers are probably very different sizes.

May be an idea to check with Warlord to see if the rules are the same in airfix and standard version.

Perhaps you can buy the pacific starter and sell the planes on ebay to fund the purchase of Spitfires and ME109’s as they will set you back a fair bit to get a box of each.

limburger
    21591xp
    Cult of Games Member

Airfix variant :
    1 x Blood Red Skies Rulebook 2 x Supermarine Spitfire MkII Fighter planes 2 x Messerschmitt Bf109-E Fighter planes4 x BRS Advantage Flying Bases2 x Reference Aircraft Cards8 x Combat Dice6 x Pilot Skill Level Discs6 x Boom Chit Tokens6 x Zoom Tokens3 x Cloud / Air Defence Clusters1 x Navigation Caliper1 x Range Finder2 x Movement Templates

Looks like fewer planes, but everything else similar ?

source :
    https://uk.airfix.com/products/airfix-blood-red-skies-battle-britain-a1500

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  limburger.

brennon
    Keymaster
    30516xp

Yeah, seems like it might just be a case of getting a few extras for the added planes you’d need for scooting down in scale. Thanks for the help folks, will have a look at both Midway and the BoB set to see what works!

brennon
    Keymaster
    30516xp

As an update, I emailed Warlord and they said that whilst the planes from the original set are now discontinued, they could do a bundle with some Luftwaffe and RAF planes currently in production for the same price as the Midway set. So – might have a good route!

They mentioned it might be a bit unbalanced but it would be good for starting out doing Battle Of Britain scenarios.

pagan8th
    Participant
    9858xp

That’s good customer service from Warlord. And good news for you.

Only played the BoB box a few times, but it was fun. I did mean to expand it, but… yes you guessed it… covid.

I did paint my planes though.

brennon
    Keymaster
    30516xp

Yeah, it was pretty good of them to come up with a solution. That pesky COVID gets in the way of everything. If I can get a bit of gaming goodness out of the stuff and enjoy painting the planes then I should be grand!

Thanks for the help and guidance folks. Will let you know if/when stuff lands.

grantinvanman
    Participant
    2062xp

Why not get the far superior GHQ Models planes? At 1:285 scale, they are far better sculpts than anything at practically any scale. And there are a vast number of decals available. They paint up quickly (I used to paint for the GHQ catalogue), and are always highest quality.

brennon
    Keymaster
    30516xp

Will have to have a closer look at that range and see if anything catches my eye

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)