Skip to toolbar

A handy Citadel paint storage system

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion A handy Citadel paint storage system

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  noyjatat 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

noyjatat
    Participant
    16145xp

Picked up a couple of these nail polish display racks to help me store my Citadel paints in a way that allows me to see the labels. Very happy with them. Also got a cake spinner stand for spraying minis on and a nice little electric rotary nail file for cleaning minis.

What items have you grabbed at a good price to help ease your hobby woes?

IMG_20190719_135630934-3120x2340

• This topic was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by  noyjatat.

Anonymous
    0xp

That paint stand looks handy and as I have said before, I wish I had thought about cake stands before I actually bought actual Tamiya turntables.

I use plastic shot glasses and a bit of smurf poo (blue tac for those with no imagination 🙂 ) as paint stands for minis – not unlike your use of pencils but works for larger bases.   Cheap make up brushes are great for drybrushing, especially if you have a lot of terrain to do at once.   I tend to reuse a lot of packaging and stuff – would mix glue in the little plastic pots chicken stock comes in.

IMG_1896

torros
    23802xp
    Cult of Games Member

I bought a paint brush once as I hated getting paint under my fingernails

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by  torros.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

What kind of savage dares to use a cake stand for anything other than cake ?

Not that said cake is going to last long enough to make the cake stand useful … and a rotating one would make said cake dissapear even faster.

😉

The citadel paint handle thingy for holding miniatures is great. I’ve seen people use corks, but I don’t drink enough wine to make that useful (the additional alcohol wouldn’t help my painting either ;-))

I haven’t found a local population of smurfs, so I have been unable to harvest smurf poo.
    Any tips from an experienced Gargamel out there ?

templar007
    52353xp
    Cult of Games Member

I bought a bag of 100 corks off eBay for about eight bucks U$.

@noyjatat  What does a set of that many GW paints cost?

I’ve never worked with GW paint.  Better or worse that others?

tresilliian
    Participant
    2199xp

Those racks are great where did you get them?

phaidknott
    7011xp
    Cult of Games Member

I bought some 3.5X magnification specs from a pound shop (although they cost £1.49). Probably not the best thing for your eyesight (mines buggered anyway). But after trying the proper magnification headband thingy and a desk magnifier I just use these instead, I tend to use these specs for just for detail work. They are just light on the head (unlike the headband thingy) and are easy to use. Probably would make your optician scream (which is why I limit myself to using them for the fine detail work). They do take some getting used to (as does all magnifiers as your hands move the paintbrush at a now “strange speed” and it’s sometimes difficult to range).

But I’m still using corks as painting handles, but all mine come from empties (which again doesn’t help your brush control) 😀

noyjatat
    Participant
    16145xp

@templar007 I am not sure to be honest, I only ever buy the colours I need as I need them so it has built up over time. No two are the same and some are from when they were first released. Probably have around 130-140 now.

noyjatat
    Participant
    16145xp

torros
    23802xp
    Cult of Games Member

You can buy  something similar from Wish.com

phaidknott
    7011xp
    Cult of Games Member

Problem with the GW paints is they do tend to dry in the bottle, there’s a few ways painters keep em fluid. One (a bit messy) option is to store them upside down on the rack.

I’ve got one bottle of GW paint in the old round flip top bottles still going strong after 30 years (I think they are sold as Cote D’Arms paints now?). I think Humbrol also did the paints back when they were in the old hex bottles with the screw top lid (those DO dry out pretty rapidly even if you never opened them due to the poor design of the bottles), Humbrol have relaunched their acrylics range so you can get some close matches there. Not sure who is doing the paints currently (or if production has been moved in house). Of course all my info on who actually made the paints is from wargamers grapevine at the time (so it’s probably wrong) 🙂

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by  phaidknott.

noyjatat
    Participant
    16145xp

@phaidknott not had this problem with these latest set of paints to be honest and the ones I have are from when they were first released. I did have this with the last generation though. Must have had these for 7-8 years at least and none have dried out. Don’t get me wrong they can go glooopy or separate but a shake and a stir later and they have been fine.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)