Skip to toolbar

Duncan Rhodes – GW Exit

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion Duncan Rhodes – GW Exit

Supported by (Turn Off)

Related Companies:

This topic contains 24 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  tgu3 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

levarius
    3275xp
    Cult of Games Member

I remember a while back Warren was talking about the GW hobby bubble and how the fact that new gamers can get stuck in their little world.

Well with Duncan Rhodes leaving GW, he’s starting posting about lots of others games and companies on his Twitter account, now called @two_thin_coats. Being a prominent GW staffer, he has built up a good following on twitter (22,000) and I’m hoping that his new showcasing of the rest of the hobby world might open the doors to a least a few people to leave the confines of the GW only bubble.

Has anyone got thoughts on this, I know it’s only one person, but he was the face of their YouTube? Or seen anything similar before with others?

onlyonepinman
    18053xp
    Cult of Games Member

I am also wondering where GW will go with their YouTube, because as you say he was such a massive prrt of it.  I am fairly sure they can find someone else but that someone has big boots to fill

sundancer
    42598xp
    Cult of Games Member

Darren Latham also has his own (private) Miniature Painting YouTube channel…

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSz0WzAuhwjezFyEIv3Xksg

I wonder if he will branch out or do less to fill the gap DR has left in the GW YouTube

limburger
    21536xp
    Cult of Games Member

@onlyonepinman GW has a few other people doing paint videos, but they aren’t Duncan

torros
    23802xp
    Cult of Games Member

Unless hes left up to join  a company as a designer or doing  something very different there is a good chance  he will just end up as another painter in the morass which is you tube

tresilliian
    Participant
    2199xp

I heard a rumour he might be headed up the road to Warlord.

bigdave
    3704xp

Be an interesting move! I’ve seen on his twitter feed how he’s been getting into Bolt Action recently and that he’s a big fan of Napoleonics amongst other things. If it’s true, will definitely need to go to this years Open Day as I am a bit of a fan-boy…

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Can we start calling this Gwexit?

sundancer
    42598xp
    Cult of Games Member

Can we start calling this Gwexit?

Too soon, dude, too soon 😉

limburger
    21536xp
    Cult of Games Member

@torros I’d say that his fame as a result of his work at GW has elevated him slightly above the average YouTuber within this hobby, but that’s life.

A lot of people within the YouTube morass are famous not because of what they do but because of who they know or simply being at the right location at the right moment.

guillotine
    16022xp
    Cult of Games Member

It’s been great seeing him Tweet about painting and playing other miniatures and games. Miniature painting Twitter-sphere is very GW focused, having someone as well known as Duncan post about A Song of Ice and Fire, Star Wars Legion and Bolt Action is great exposure to the wider gaming hobby.

sundancer
    42598xp
    Cult of Games Member

He’s playing scrabble and looses…. Scrabble of all things XD Next you know he tweets about loosing on Monopoly *g*

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

I hope he starts a youtube channel. For gaming in general

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

I saw his post on Instagram yesterday – for an Army Painter wet palette.

He said it was the first time he’d ever used a wet palette.

I was astounded. If there’s one thing most miniature painters agree on, it’s that a wet palette is a transformative discovery. I was amazed that Old Two Coats was so late to the game.

limburger
    21536xp
    Cult of Games Member

Maybe he was late to the game because he was the designated GW tutorial guy and had to work according to GW’s vision ?
    That can get tricky if you use techniques that aren’t “official” and you need to demonstrate different techniques with confidence …

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)