Skip to toolbar

Flames of war decals – help a newbie

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Flames of war decals – help a newbie

Supported by (Turn Off)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 5 years ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

kondidk
    Participant
    87xp

Hi all

New to Flames of war and I like to add decals to the models.

The official flames of war stuff appears sold out? Anybody know of places to order or alternatives (pref in Europe or UK).

Also what products are you using to apply?

Thank you in advance.

torros
    23802xp
    Cult of Games Member

avernos
    Keymaster
    33467xp

hello.

So the important thing first. When applying a decal make a sandwich.

1. Gloss varnish the area for the decal to go down.
    2. When it dries apply the decal
    3. After the decal is dry apply another layer of gloss varnish.

This does several things, it firstly gives you a smooth layer to apply the decal to, the top coat protects it and lastly the layers remove the “silvering” that you get where you can see the carrier film around the outside of the decal.

I use water to slide the decal off and onto the model, but I do have MicroSet and MicroSol. Decalfix is the same sort of thing from Humbrol. They’re handy if the surface is curved in multiple directions or you have to place the decal onto an irregular shape like over a rivet or hatch.

As to companies, I’ve used Dom’s Decals in the past, they’re excellent. I know Dom can be slow getting things out and some people have had issues. I’ve never had an order be super delayed but I’ve never been in a rush for them, so caveat empor on that one.

Skytrex I’ve not used in years but are very good range of decals

Plastic Soldier Company are the most recent I’ve bought from, excellent quality again, and the one I’ve used most recently.

I’m sure there will be people who have used others that can post below.

Any follow up questions ask away.

kondidk
    Participant
    87xp

Huge thank you to both of you! I have now ordered decals and will go pick up equipment in the local gameshop tomorrow. Amazing replies fellas!

One additional question, and again please excuse my ignorance, but why is glossy and not matte finish the best to use?

torros
    23802xp
    Cult of Games Member

There’s probably a scientific reason but the wet decals can be repositioned more easily on the glossy surface unlike a Matt one.

avernos
    Keymaster
    33467xp

you can put it on a matt surface, but the gloss finish makes moving it into position much easier.

it’s the same as painting on a gloss surface, it’s harder for the paint to cover as it keeps moving around. On a satin or matt surface the paint “keys” onto the area much more easily, so it’s easier to cover.

Like I said if you run into difficulties or have any questions ask away.

If a video is easier for you sing out and that can be arranged as well.

kondidk
    Participant
    87xp

Again, thank you both – that makes perfect sense! Cannot wait to try it! I will post a picture or two when they are done.

Anonymous
    0xp

Not a scientist but gloss varnish tends to have a smoother finish than matt varnish or paint, so there are less tiny, tiny bumps and lumps on its surface, and thus less friction so the decals moves better.  Same reason why pin washes work much better over a gloss varnish, less microscopic holes and ridges on the surface, so less chance of surface tension stopping the wash flow… or that is what seems logical to me.

The best advice I can give for decals is don’t be disheartened if you mess a few up because every one has messed up decals in the pass and I still mess the odd one up.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)