Skip to toolbar

Hobby Weekender 21/09/2018 – Sometimes even earlier…

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Hobby Weekender 21/09/2018 – Sometimes even earlier…

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 112 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  minigiant 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 120 total)
  • Author

minigiant
    2803xp
    Cult of Games Member

@minigiant well the results so far look like they have been worth the effort. Are you going to hold off on any eldar project until your riders are finished or is it the sort of thing you can tinker with a bit and progress concurrently? 20 points.

Thank you. The Eldar has just been relegated to tinkering. I am using the Forgeworld (agai) Knarlocs and Great Knarlocs to make the “Dragon” mounts for the Exodites. I have an old picture of where I have left it (in black and white)

Dragon Riders 2 WIP

The long term plan is to reprint the Imperial Guard codex and Eldar codex with images and artwork of my own army, so they kinda can be done together

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

Hmm…. are there really only 4 user battle reports on BoW right now or are some “mislabled” and don’t show up in the projects? If there are only 4…. I own 50%! I need a trophy for that XD 😉

But on a serious note: when I wrote my last BR I remembered how “in the old days” BR in the White Dwarf where made with top down maps. Does anybody still do that and how do you like to read them? In character? Analytic? Or just who rolled what dice?

minigiant
    2803xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundancer I still love a good map

woldenspoons
    Participant
    3557xp

@sundancer @minigiant with massive arrows.

@mage @minigiant Looking at all the hobbying going on I need to ask what you guys are going to be doing for the basing? A good paint job is good but will you kick your pieces up a notch?

@mage The GKR looks good to go. Will you be dusting it with light weathering and do some more effects like Battletech?

@rayzryr I understand the issue of trying to splice bits together sometimes. It looks like you’re putting things together with liquid greenstuff or Eagle modelling putty. I never tried Eagle by the liquid GS is crap unless you’re trying to add a caked on dirt/filth texture to figures. Milliput Black is a good material if you’re trying to get crisp edges on things. Mix it and get it into the general shape you want before letting it start to set. Once you start losing the malleability work carefully to set your final hard edges. I was using this consistently before I ran out and switched to Apoxie Sculpt.

A tip on fine detail hands that I’ve found works pretty well is using 26 ga. wire. I think it might be the same gauge that Werner Klocke uses as its the only thing I’ve found close to the size of his sculpts through the Reaper line. I don’t think he gets any larger in diameter through his Freebooter Fate line for fingers so it must be his standard.

minigiant
    2803xp
    Cult of Games Member

@horati0nosebl0wer Haunted Forest basing. I will work on it as the last thing before priming

evilstu
    15298xp
    Cult of Games Member

@minigiant Project sounds ambitious 🙂 I really like the look of the converted dragon. 25 points for responses.

@sundancer Have to confess I haven’t had a chance to start looking at BatReps yet – too much eye candy just with the regular project updates :). My personal favourite battle report format was where they showed the battle turn by turn photographed from a couple of feet above one corner. This gave a cinematic view of the table and let you track the movement of each unit each turn. I can understand why they went back to the top down sketch format – it is much clearer to see unit locations bu tit just didn’t grab me the same way. I always found the more narrative write-ups more engaging, although it was sometimes quite insightful to get the thoughts of the generals as they were reacting to circumstances each turn. 10 points.

@woldenspoons ah yes had forgotten the massive arrows – with extra big ones when something important like a heavy cavalry charge was happening 😛 10 points.

@horati0nosebl0wer sounds like you have a lot more practice sculpting that I. It’s something I really need to get around to learning. One of the next projects I have liked up is to convert some Bretonnian questing knights so that should provide a good opportunity. bedrolls and backpacks shouldn’t be too hard to manage I hope 🙂 15 points.

evilstu
    15298xp
    Cult of Games Member

My kind of troll 🙂 I had to stop watching these as I was laughing so hard my sides hurt by the end of it…

querion
    Participant
    2196xp

i promised comments and i’m late with them, the last days were a bit hectic and i didn’t have time to check here, sorry guys. but they will be comming.

In between i got a bit of hobby time in and work on those orks continues:

DSCF0714DSCF0715DSCF0716DSCF0717DSCF0718

evilstu
    15298xp
    Cult of Games Member

@querion great looking stuff, particularly like the contrast with the warpaint. 30 points for hobby progress

minigiant
    2803xp
    Cult of Games Member

I agree with @evilstu @querion It looks really good. The green flesh serves well as a spot colour to your faded red. I look forward to seeing them based

rayzryr
    Participant
    20833xp

@sundancer I liked the old GW battle report maps! I always found it hard to visualise what units were going where just from the text.

@horati0nosebl0wer you know your stuff! It is indeed liquid green stuff. Though it is less than liquid now. I really only bought it to be a gap filler. I’ve used Milliput Standard before, I’ll have to consider the Milliput Black. It’ll probably give better results for the basing stamps I use as well…

I’ve never tried actually building up from scratch… wire and green stuff like a sculptor would… I’ve only ever tried putting other bits together… but that is good information to know. Hmmm….

@evilstu I’ve not watched those yet, but I’ll have too. You’re not the first to recommend his videos.

@querion those are some cracking Orcs!

I’ve been slowly progressing on my Elves, stripping back some that were too far gone to just repaint. It is tedious work. I’m using Simple Green to take the paint off, as it doesn’t seem to bother the plastic of the minis. But I’ve had better results with other products. It still needs much scrubbing and scraping back. I’ve got these guys waiting to be scraped:

9426CA8B-AE7A-450D-AE65-5C7CC47A3987
    I got these guys done last night after scrubbing and brushing:

53FE7059-9D0C-43DE-BA4F-3C09A6873B05

Huh, sneaky Space Marine Assault squader in there…

evilstu
    15298xp
    Cult of Games Member

@rayzryr coming along nicely! Can you find the Simple Green detergent locally? The only one I have found ahs been a spray on oven cleaner which has provided mixed results at best… Anyhow, nice progres son peeling back the layers of time so far. 20 points for progress and comments.

@minigiant 10 points for feedback.

Not much hobby getting done this week, busy with work – will probably kick off again on the weekend and reattempt getting some stuff done 🙂

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

OK, I’m a little… speechless right now… you all know scrabble right? that classic game where you can learn new words and correct spelling… Mattel Germany, in it’s “infinite wisdom” has decided to re-brand it as “Buchstaben YOLO” which roughly translates to “Letter YOLO”. The accompanying commercial uses words like “swag” and “nice” as valid words but they are not in the German dictionary. The video is so bad that I think you can all cringe with me even if you don’t understand the words.

I wrote an open letter to Mattel and I hope there will be change… though I doubt that… sorry for the off rant but this really ticks me off since my daughter (7) is currently learning to read and write and it’s hard enough as it is and here come a company “ruining” a game that otherwise is/was perfect for learning to spell. *sigh*

Thanks for reading, back to topic.

a27cromwell
    Participant
    3128xp

That video was weird , Are you getting a ” Rock Me Amadeus ” vibe from the music track , or is it just me ?

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 120 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)