Skip to toolbar

Hobby Weekender 28/06/2019 The Industry and Social Media

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Hobby Weekender 28/06/2019 The Industry and Social Media

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 81 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  woldenspoons 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 100 total)
  • Author

tuffyears
    23171xp
    Cult of Games Member

@robert I appreciate your trying to have a intellectual discussion. However as a bystander it is coming across as a little aggressive.

warzan
    Keymaster
    30751xp

Hi Guys

Just stepping in for a sec @robert @mage

I think you guys are getting a little crossed wires here dudes so let’s relax.

Mage is a long long time friend of this community and tirelessly runs (with others) this thread and it’s a very special thing on the internets these days – so a little bit of a sacred cow for me lol

It’s not easy running these threads and it takes alot of work and even picking topics can be time consuming 🙂

We dont feel insulted at all and honestly it’s just a case of crossed wires folks, and even if we are being discussed I have no issue with critical opinions being raised of our works etc (I cant always do somthing about it but knowing the criticism is always useful – just as an aside)

So please guys slow down and relax, I know both of you pretty well from this community and I know that both of you would get on VERY well IRL lol

We are all friends here so let’s put it aside and have a little virtual hug 😉

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Honestly, BoW was never the focus of anything in this thread negative by me, intentionally, more comparing the broader use of social media within the industry of tabletop gaming to online gaming and the varying levels of market focus and payoff vs how it works for another media/entertainment form.

I wouldn’t intentionally make a massive swipe out of nowhere at the site, community or the platforms it is on while in here; it would be a little ‘on the nose’ as it were (like breaking a toilet at someone’s house at a dinner party, if that makes sense). I love this site, I really do.

If it ever came across that way as a focussed snipe at BoW, it was never my intention. I just feel that excluding beasts of war, who I always felt did a really good job, the majority of personalities/channels/influences on social media in our hobby/industry are… ‘meh’. One of the points I was trying to get accross is what if companies like GW, Privateer Press and the like did live streamed Seminars like E3. I think that would be awesome, personally.

Anonymous
    0xp

@warzan I apologise to you that you have had to step into this thread, I know you have far better things to do with your time.

After the last couple of weekenders threads it seems how my style, my personalty and how I voice my convicts and opinions doesn’t fit in with this style of thread so out of respect to you and the other users, they can rest easy, as quite simply I will censor myself.  I’m 40 years old and I am not going to change, too many years studying the dismal science is what I blame for it.

I am not deliberately going out to pick fights or deliberately being negative and critical, but am a great believer in open discourse and using reason and logic to try and convey what I think and believe, which I believe I do.  If I see something that looks like a spade, I’ll call it a spade and tell you why I think it is a spade.  A former boss spent years trying to convince me that I was too honest for my own good, still haven’t listened to him.

Strangely enough, I may have been described as a stubborn bastard more than once!  I should warn you I am actually more opinionated in real life and swear a hell of a lot more.  I might be the first person you will ever meet who is a bigger “keyboard warrior” in real life than the internet 🙂

Have a great holiday, Warren, and everyone else can enjoy the thread without the stubborn, opinionated bastard typing long boring posts (I promise this is the last one!)

I’ll leave you with one of my favourite songs of all time to get the thread back on track for everyone else, the solo is great.

tuffyears
    23171xp
    Cult of Games Member

At nearly 50 if I have to step in and play mum by smacking a few ears. I don’t mind. 😉 😉 :p :p

Anonymous
    0xp

You’ll have to change your name to tuffymuffyears then 🙂

tuffyears
    23171xp
    Cult of Games Member

@robert don’t make me use your full christian name…….. Oh…….. Nevermind………

woldenspoons
    Participant
    3557xp

Phew glad that’s all over. @mage back with us? I need my Minotaurs fix. Which reminds me, @dawfydd how you doing? Recovery going well? @horati0nosebl0wer counting down the days until you are back in the fold. @evilstu don’t work too hard man. @warzan thanks for popping by, now show us some hobby. @robert how is the complicated dice bag coming?

The AoS tournament ended up fairly casual. There were 5 of us so I graciously agreed to sit out round 2 which would make finding final standings impossible.

We had me with Stormcast, a Skaven, a Kharadron Overlords, a beastman and a free guilds army so quite a good mix.

Game 1 I faced the Overlords and having never played against them I was really looking forward to it. He took the first turn and came towards me worrying about my deep striking force. My deep strike gang landed behind him but did pretty much nothing with all their shooting. My Evocators on Battle cats got into combat with his smaller main unit and tore shreds out them. In the course of this fight they managed to grab his 30 man unit into 3 inches. My unit have a special ability that 4 of us had to read and reread to make sure it was right but needless to say the 30 man unit all died and that was pretty much game.

Game 3 I brought the light of Sigmar to the unwashed human masses. I hadn’t played these before either and they were full of surprises. I did the same thing with the kitties into his halberds and killed the 20 crossbows behind. Hilariously in this game his general on gryphon charged my ballista and not only failed to kill them over the whole game but they eventually beat him to death. So I won this one too wiping him out in the process.

I think I realised today though that I prefer AoS to 40k. Much slicker to play. Also good to get a chance to dust off my Stormcast.

limburger
    21537xp
    Cult of Games Member

That’s right @tuffyears … it looks like us old folks have got to straighten these young ones out.

(I’m nearly 50 too … but I still feel like a teenager at times ;-))

Anonymous
    0xp

@tuffyears Just be like my Great Aunt Maud and add my two middles names… When she said Robert William Thomas I knew I was for the wooden spoon (not the woldenspoons) 🙂

@woldenspoons The red bit was complicated as you have to swap the type of stitch you do every stitch…Knit one, Purl one… and thankfully it is done and I have added holes to it so the cord will go through.  The green is going to take time, you knit one row, then purl one row.  Fine wool and small needles doesn’t knit quick!

IMG_1746

Please don’t make fun of my chromebook 😉

warzan
    Keymaster
    30751xp

@woldenspoons well… as you asked lol

We go on holiday to the Wales holiday camp tonight for 2 weeks (hi de hi!!!)

I am a total man child and couldn’t sleep last night as I’m so excited for the little ones lol

So I’ve been in the studio since 4am painting dungeon scenery for a kit I have made for the kids.

I took Savanna, Manny and Max through a game of ‘D-DnD’ (Daddy Dungeons and Dragons – so coloured poly dice, simple rolls, lots of story telling etc) they had a blast even little Max (4).

So I promised to bring the game with us.

IMG-20190629-WA0000

IMG-20190629-WA0002

IMG-20190629-WA0004

20190630_105512

20190630_105516

20190630_105524

20190630_105535

20190630_105539

I’m blessed to have Andrea to be honest letting me do frivolous shit like this when she has to do the grown up organizing stuff!

tuffyears
    23171xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’ll leave this here

Anonymous
    0xp

I case anyone is wondering how small small is… A GW mini whose name I can’t remember is in the background saying small!  I think quite a few of these based up with these shields will look ok.  I’m not freehanding.

IMG_1747

Hopefully I will get these ones finished.

IMG_1748

tuffyears
    23171xp
    Cult of Games Member

174494878@robert I believe its Slambo

Anonymous
    0xp

I could only think of Sly Marbo.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 100 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)