Skip to toolbar

Hobby Weekender 28/06/2019 The Industry and Social Media

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Hobby Weekender 28/06/2019 The Industry and Social Media

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 81 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  woldenspoons 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 100 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    0xp

Love Allo Allo

This is brilliant as will.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Page 1 Responses:

@tuffyears <20 points>

20 points for Picard, nice stuff.

@limburger <110 points>

I’ll check out the music later. Can’t listen to it at the mo.

It’s hot too, here, by Irish standards.

(1) Is Social Media with hobbying replacing forums?

I detested it for years myself but find it convenient now and a good way to stay in contact with friends and be appraised of events or goings on. Never ‘got’ twitter. Don’t use Instagram too much.

Well, they are different to forums; being used more widely and easily on devices and designed for them moreso. Also quicker and more intuitive with broader scope. And by the looks of it more actively used too. At least those are my observations on it.

You can get a sense of belonging on some social media groups. Since you did mention not being on them, I wonder what gives you the impression. Not a dig here but more a ‘devil’s advocate’. They can and do lack themes when you expand on the point though.

The privacy thing is a huge issue that has always been there too. I completely get where you come from. It’s too late for me with setting up facebook in that regard but I am glad things are, in one way, getting stricter with data protection and some governments are coming down hard on facebook and asking questions more in the last year or two.

40 points.

(2) Are websites going the way of the Dinosaur?

30 points, I like your answer.

(3) I know photos, articles and other information trickles out at conventions and events for our precious games, but should there be more social media reveals and information?

Well, a preview created by a company is a preview created by a company be it Apple, Nintendo, Comicon or Games Workshop. I’d strongly disagree that it is abuse of social media (again, devil’s advocate here for an intellectual debate; but you don’t use it?), that seems crazy to me. I mean, if you owned a business you’d do anything you could to promote it. Now, crappy app games that constantly appear on a news feed and the like, yeah, that is abuse of social media. Advertisements built into computer games as a loading screen is an abuse of a product, and how Twitch works is infuriating and an abuse to me.

I find some of the wargaming, miniatures and RPG content (be it unboxing or reviews) done across the internet to be incredibly bad when you compare them to Gundam Kits, toys and Computer games. I know these people are trying, but damn. Maybe I am unlucky and find ones that aren’t good or some bore me.

Viral marketing is a stranger one I am less familiar with. Sometimes it is too much, other times a company can do something cool and thematic for a movie or the like. I mean, a bunch of posters inside a cinema for an election campaign like ‘I believe in Harvey Dent’ for the Dark Knight is pretty cool, to me. It might be cringeworthy cheese to someone else.

Should one not try to pitch their product to succeed, much like how one tries to ‘sell themselves’ in an interview, to do well? I mean, if a company isn’t profitable, evolves and grows where are they left? A lot of the smaller games companies in the last two-three years have gone under. I mean, why would you admit flaws? That would destroy credibility and confidence in a company amongst shareholders, workers and customers.

I like the ‘rant’. 40 points.

tuffyears
    23171xp
    Cult of Games Member

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Page 2 Responses, part 1:

@limburger <10 points>

I decided to go with a bluey grey ‘The Fang’ which is similar to the much older Space Wolves Grey. It will get a black wash though. Thanks for the input! J

They are two opposing armies from a boxed set standpoint but to me they are more two separate self contained armies I will use. But yes, you are right, but are really dark.

Mind off the heat? Have an icecream float.

British Vs Pirates looks interesting, 10 points for sharing.

As for Sesama street that Mitt Romney dude (Republican Presitdential Candidate nominee a few years back) made crushing the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) a priority. Sickening. That’s where Sesame Street lives… Not about politics; this is a moral, social, cultural and educational thing.

Such a naughty joke, made me giggle.

@robert <20 points>

10 points for the progress on the dwarves. 10 points for the dice bag.

@tuffyears <50 points>

50 points for the Tiger Tank, nice work!

@sundancer <75 points>

1) I do not mind Facebook groups too much but they are a very different beast to the likes of BoW. Heck, even BoW is more than ‘just a forum’. I think with convenience we lose something with more substance. And whats app groups and FB messenger groups are the same. One I am part of for my local Pokemon Go community has put me off the group side of it as it has turned into this stupid random message group where 90% of it is cliquish in-jokes and bull poop.

I’m guilty of shopping online too, but… that’s a hard one I can’t answer or fix with a debate.

40 points.

(2) I would say a dash of Matrix mixed in with some Ghost in the Shell. There are already people whose thing is to do body modifications and put computer chips and stuff under their skin like on their hand, for locks and stuff.

15 points

(3) Yes. Big yes. Especially for those people who either can’t afford to go or simply can’t make time for it.

That’s my thinking. Even youtubers who are into gaming make that point, and they themselves might not be able to afford to go to E3 in Los Angeles. I’ve wanted to go to all these GW and FW open days, but I haven’t been able to afford to go to them or anything at BoW or Salute for a few years. A video would be nice…

20 points.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Okay it would be appear I am pretty up to date on responses. Managed to get some hobby done today and took a break from my Minotaurs (The Primaris Marines are all done but the non Primaris are not, I might end up basecoating them tomorrow when I am like a zombie after my night shift). Pics to follow shortly of my hobbying

limburger
    21535xp
    Cult of Games Member

@mage it’s hard to describe, but social groups (like G+) don’t have that need to be part of a single thing.
    There were at least 3 different groups claiming to be ‘the’ Doctor Who group on G+ alone.

At that point picking one feels like a gamble.

As such I’d argue that the lack of effort in creating a new social group is why they feel so empty.
    The only ones that (to me) seem to be worthy of my time are the ones that are indeed officially sanctioned or at least have a competent set of moderators to weed out the crap.

Facebook never cared about privacy and they never will. That’s why we’ve got Zuckerbot asking for ‘government intervention’ so they can pay of any infractions with the fat wallet they’ve got instead of having to re-examine the morality of their entire operations (which is selling user data to the highest bidder).  Zuckerberg is reacting like a naughty kid who almost got caught with his hands in the cookie jar and crumbs on his t-shirt. I simply do not trust his intentions *because* of the way his website started and *because* pretty much anything ponts toward an intent to abuse.

We’re seeing this with YouTube and the overly aggressive DMCA & copyright claiming that hurts the good while leaving the rotten apples free to do as they please.

We’re seeing it on Twitter and I’m seeing it at a local level where the full weight of the law is only used on those whose opinions are deemed ‘bad’.

Laws like the GDPR (which is 50% common sense and 50% idiot governement nod understanding the speed at which tech evolves) only serve to show how little companies care about privacy. I find it pretty disturbing what businesses would do with our data if we let them … and given how understaffed governments are I am sure we’re not seeing a few percent of the actual violations.

As for the use of social media by companies … the few that use it with good intentions and proper restraint are outnumbered by the bad who use it without moral restraint. The worst part is that there are youtubers out there who don’t seem to understand why it is important to be honest about sponsorship. It’s bad enough that companies try to enlist these “influencers” (god I hate that word) as part of their marketing campaign. But when these people don’t tell their audience that they were paid to promote the content …

I’ve grown sick and tired of the entire video game industry as a result of their behaviour (like EA claiming their loot boxes are more like ‘Kinder Eggs’ and not gambling).

I’ve read too much about the psychology of mobile game design already.

If you’ve got the time I’d suggest reading about ‘cow clicker’ … a deconstruction of farm ville that became a sick genre of its own, because companies are greedy and love to exploit humans.

https://www.wired.com/2011/12/ff-cowclicker/

Anonymous
    0xp

@mage have you seen the amount of footage that OTT actually put out when they attend conventions, have companies in to preview and update us about products etc.  All on video.  I actually think it is rather insulting to say that photos, articles and other information “trickles” out at conventions and events for our precious games.  This is clearly wrong when you alone see the hours of footage that BOW have put out this year from UKGE and Salute alone and then you have the audacity to say “A video would be nice…”.  OTT aren’t the only website/media that cover Salute and other UK conventions, plenty of real time Youtube, Facebook, Twitter content from these events as well.

OTT alone spent about 6 days in Birmingham at UKGE, travelling over, asking people from the community to volunteer to help.  They live streamed on Twitch for 3 days interviewing loads of different companies as the official media partners of UKGE.  There is actually so much footage from UKGE, I haven’t been able to watch it all.  Even today there is hours of footage from the FOW/Gale Force 9 open day in England – Seminars, interviews etc, and even OTT were giving away free tickets to the event if you made an FOW purchase on their website last weekend (I declined as I couldn’t go to Nottingham) but Ben and Justin did a great job covering it.  We are getting an Alien game from a competent company…Hurrah!!!!!!!!!!!!

In July OTT are going to be at Historicon (sp?), flying two members to the USA to record and report from that event.  They have never been to this event and want to bring the experience to people who can’t be there. I bet there will be videos.  The news and coverage we get on this site, given the resources OTT have, is unbelievable.  People are thanking them for attending these events and providing the coverage because they can’t attend.  They can’t film in GW as they won’t let them, and all the bootcamps at BOW have loads of video footage and they are now providing digital tickets so people who can’t afford to be at these events.  The last Bootcamp (FOW) they ran had hours of video – interviews, previews, unboxings, a live stream from New Zealand but, hey, a video would be nice…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuEMZDLUAsE that is 1 hour 23 minutes 24 seconds of footage from the Sunday alone.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

@limburger <50 points>

Yeah, what you describe on G+ sounds weird. I see some groups on Facebook and which ones have how many members and see what they are like. Its messy.

You make a poignant point on the emptiness, moderation and being official.

No, they never ever have. He never has and your right not to trust.

What is DMCA? As for the copyright thing its ridiculous. Theres this one guy I heard of, and if someone shows a clip of his videos for computer games and criticises something he does as being correct (rushing content out when something is new for money) he reports them to youtube for criticising him in the form of a copyright infringement to give the person a strike on their account to damage them. Complete facist.

Twitter is becoming a mess imho.

There is some GDPR stuff which is also silly that affects some work I do… Governments need to be shaken up with how they go about stuff.

The companies doing social media a certain way, as you describe, are clearly doing it in a bad fashion. As for the youtubers, I think some of might be innocence (why is it an issue) ego (none of their business!) or fear (I don’t want to lose what I have). Part of it probably stems from it starting as a hobby to becoming their job and still sort of being a hobby.

I hate ‘influencers’ as a term. Such a crock. Yeah, I get that with products, but like, to me it is clear and similar to say, celebrities appearing in commericals…

I’m not too tired of the Video Game Industry. Certain companies like Bethesda and EA (Nintendo and Square Enix are pretty golden in my eyes). Loot boxes are straight up gambling, especially when you consider the age on some of the games (not aimed at eight year olds with some) – how come nobody noticed that in court cases or brought it up?

South Park also broached on mobile gaming:

Ill check that out later, thanks 😉

50 points for conversation and well-thought out opinions and debate.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

@robert

OTT/BOW are one site and youtube channel. It was a general question and broad across the board, as well as with what I was saying with my own opinions.

When I host these threads, everything is neutral with what I do and say – I do not show favouritism, nor do I unnecessarily bag on companies if there is not a valid obvious point to be made (like my discussions above with @limburger and @sundancer), or strongly disagree or argue with people (when I do express a contrary opinion I do so as a discussion and debate and see where it leads, and I often learn from it and change my opinion).

There are tens of thousands of youtubers out there, more, and companies that can/do/don’t do their own thing. Wide net, and all that.

You think what I said is insulting? Audacity? When did I bash BoW or OTT about it? Well, I did not. Your reaction puzzles me.

Just curious to anyone else on this thread or reading: did anyone get the impression I was ‘being this way’?

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Furthermore, what I am saying, which is an extension from Question 3, as well as referring to other youtubers and the likes in tangents with other people, clearly was not a dig at BoW. How could anyone think that? I was on about mainly companies doing it themselves direct along the lines of Nintendo for computer games and companies in general at E3???

Anonymous
    0xp

I’ve wanted to go to all these GW and FW open days, but I haven’t been able to afford to go to them or anything at BoW or Salute for a few years. A video would be nice…

Audacity – rude or disrespectful behaviour; impudence.

You say you can’t afford to go to anything at BOW or Salute, then put a “A video would be nice…”  Unless I am completely misinterpreting by what you mean by “A video would be nice…” you are quite clearly saying there has been no video coverage at these events when there is actually loads of video and coverage out there and there is lots of it provided by the companies whose web site you are on. Your third question starts with something put across as a fact, that news “trickles”.  Trickle means small flow, dip, dribble.  This is being critical of the flow of coverage coming from conventions, it is being critical of all the games media, and it is by extension being critical of one of the main things that OTT do, providing event coverage, which they do it at Salute every year.

“I haven’t been able to afford to go to them or anything at BoW or Salute for a few years. A video would be nice…”.   You don’t have to name a company to insult them, the insult is implied.  It is incredulous if you can’t see this.

Your second question isn’t neutral.  Why is the word “shameless” used?  It is not needed in the question, doesn’t add anything to the question accept assigning a motive to the plot and even more so when you follow up with “If it is, is it a bad thing?”  Either your question is badly worded, or the word shameless says something about your opinion of GW.

My father wasn’t an educated man, he had to start to work at 16 to provide for his family, but he always told me “don’t shit in your own nest” and it is something I have always lived by.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

GW or FW dude, I know BoW do videos. As in, as you say, since they don’t allow OTT in for videos, from one of their own seminars.  Your clearly reading or ‘reading into’ something that isn’t there. Anyone who read that would get the context. Accusing me of audacity and insulting is… bonkers. When have I been vocally anti-OTT or BoW? It feels like your trying to pick a fight over nothing.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Id like you to stop as it’s making me uncomfortable, as well as an argument and display on a public forum going out to other uses.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

I think I will wrap up this weekend’s thread here. Best of luck guys.

Anonymous
    0xp

I’m not picking a fight.  I thought you wanted intellectual discussion is this thread, and by applying logic and interpreting to what you have said, when it is written there in black and white, and stating my reasoning and logic (something I spent 4 years at university to do), you imply that I am mad and crazy with using the word bonkers.  I do currently have quite a serious mental health issues at the moment, so if I am going to be insulted in this thread, I shall take my leave.  Please don’t apologise, I won’t accept it.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 100 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)