Skip to toolbar

How to paint Reichbusters Mutations: Help wanted

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming How to paint Reichbusters Mutations: Help wanted

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 19 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  flatbattery 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

So Reichbhusters lands in Antwerp around 28th Feb (Although i’m seeing chatter saying 9th march.  I guess the weather has affected the voyage over?  Anyone know any more?)  Soon after it’ll be in my hands and i want to throw myself in to getting it painted.  I have starting points for most of it, but I really am not sure how to handle the mutated flesh.

experiment 601 01

projekt x 01

6xx 02

Has anyone seen any guides or got any advice?  Seen any themed Paint sets with guides that might aid with this?  I could follow some of Duncans videos for mutated chaos flash on the Hellbrute or in a Tzaangors mouth but that doesn’t seem to achieve these effects, especially for the glowing pustules on the crab guy.

limburger
    21536xp
    Cult of Games Member

pfewh … for a minute I thought I had missed something.  Although I did get an email from Philbert asking me to confirm my address, so things must be moving ahead.

Anyways …

Mythic’s Leo & Seb Talk Reichbuster Army Painter Set

the official set doesn’t appear to have any ‘mutated flesh’ colours, but then that picture might not be final.

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’ve yet to receive any emails, but I hear people have been getting them, although the ship for Europe wasn’t meant to dock until 29th, give or take.  I did not back the paint set.  It is my understanding it just contains the colours, a brush, a Red Hawk alt sculpt, and at most a guide to paint her and nothing else.  If it had a full guide I might have bought it.

limburger
    21536xp
    Cult of Games Member

check your spam folder to be sure …

the email was merely a verification of my address. I don’t know when they actually start shipping.
    However 29th is this week, so it’s not impossible.

//—

the paint set is probably more aimed at painting the heroes, because it doesn’t appear to have any colours for the enemies.

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

I keep on top of my spam folder and I’ve not had anything yet.  I was a pledge manager late backer though so I might be a second class buyer and get mine later.

maledrakh
    Participant
    11996xp

Here is a method:

200202 mantic warpath star saga plague abomination 6

(Plague Aberration from Star Saga, Deadzone, Warpath, by Mantic)

I painted it much the same way as my other Plague models:

On a black undercoat zenithaled with light grey. A beigey-fleshy basecoat, several careful drybrushes with shades of beige and skin, globbing on a generous wash with citadel druuchi violet shade, carroburg crimson shade and athonian camoshade in places while the other shades are still wet. Two thin coats, pah! Glob it on I say! take care to not let it puddle too much though.

When dry, drybrush again with several beige and boney tones, up to very lightly with pure white on top. Some more carroburg crimson here and there for effect.

Dot in the eyes and teeth in white over black. Thinned light grey on claws and horns. Apart from the drying time, this is a very speedy and effective way to do models with bio-organic shapes and/or lots of deep details like this one.

flatbattery
    8265xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’ve been getting some nice reddish skin tones by starting with green base coats, highlighted with Necrotic Flesh worked up with ivory then washing with Red Tone. Haven’t got any pics to hand, but it works well, and to this day I still don’t know what possessed me to try it.

angelicdespot
    4686xp
    Cult of Games Member

It might be worth looking at CMON ‘The Others’.   It had a lot of gribbly mutated beasts and demons in it, and there might be some painting guides around.   I think there were some specific ‘the Others’ paint sets made for it too.

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

My plague flesh was far more red than yours, @maledrakh.  Yours has much more tonal variance.  I like that.  Maybe I can find a way to transition between toe two colours?  Drying time doesn’t overly bother me as I’m hoping to paint a lot of this game as one big project.  This means if I have something like this I know has multiple all day drying stages I can do one in the morning, paint something else apply a second wash before bed, a third wash in the morning etc.  This is how I handles my Godtear KS and it worked well.  This is why I am looking to know how I’m going to paint this before everything arrives.  it lets me plan and get any needed paints.

plague

@angelicdespot  I had forgotten about that.  That’s a good google search term.  I’ll have to give it a try.

@flatbattery Sounds interesting.  I can sorta see what you’re getting at with the wash, but not sure how the green would affect it.  I’d be interested to see any pics you can find/take later if it’s not too much work (ie you have 20 boxes of minis and no clue which one the mini is in.  I totally understand this problem)

maledrakh
    Participant
    11996xp

@lawnor: the trick to the transition is a heavy wash of Citadel Druuchi Violet Wash / carroburg crimson followed *immediately when still wet* with a moderate to heavy wash of just the head and upper body with Citadel Athonian Camoshade Wash (which is a greenish brown or a brownish green). This has the effect of clearing off much of the violet leaving the filthy green, and also mixing with the violet at the edges, creating a nice gradual colour transition effect. Its almost like magic. just make sure to take care of any exessive pooling to avoid tide marks. other washes can also be used of course. but these are the ones I have found work the best.

also, this is quite messy so should be done before anything else is painted on the mini.

the same technique has been used here with different effects had by thinning the wash and varying the amount used.

190520-age-of-sigmar-nurgle-maggotkin-lord-of-plagues-2 181111-warhammer-chaos-nurgle-daemons-plaguebearers-back

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

Thank you.  That’s some nice work.  I don’t have many GW paints.  I do seem to always have 6 of their washes though.  Agrax, Nuln and Seraphim Sepia as everyone always should, and Athonian Camoshade, Carroburg Crimson and Druchii Violet.  They were bought for specific tasks but they do seem to get used more than I expected in just random things.  Carroburg Crimson is my default mouth paint, once the flesh tones are done, for example.

I was hoping to airbrush down the metalwork on Project X (The big guy) and do the flesh around him, but I definitely feel like I’ll be making a washy mess of whatever I paint down using your method and you’ll need me to preserve a zenithal preshade.  You’re giving me things to think about (Which is vastly preferable to thinking about the work I’m supposed to be doing 😉 )

flatbattery
    8265xp
    Cult of Games Member

@lawnor   It just so happens I had this one buried in “What are you painting now”.

pic5166190

There’s not much there but you can get the idea.

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

It looks good (I wouldn’t want to meet him on a dark night, but imagine what he could do with that tongue!), but it looks a little more of a normal healthy flesh tone, at least in that pic.  The white background is a little bright and there’s not much flesh to see so perhaps my eyes are deceiving me.  Might be something I experiment with though.  Perhaps on the fleshy dogs?

flatbattery
    8265xp
    Cult of Games Member

Not a great example I admit. When I tried it my first impressive I can only describe as an intestinal colour, if that makes sense?

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

I think so.  Probably great for those tubing parts between Tyranids and their guns.  When you say base with green, I assume you mean the green you would have based the rest of that guy with? Olive -ish?  Or do you prefer something much lighter or darker?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)