Skip to toolbar

Printing one of the Titan Forge Patreon minis with supports already done!

Home Forums 3D Printing for Tabletop Gaming Printing one of the Titan Forge Patreon minis with supports already done!

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 45 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  hegemongary 4 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

I think that’s a two-part model, isn’t it? The leaping dwarf is jumping off the shield of another one. It’s a great model! And nice print too – it might be the photo that’s a bit out-of-focus, but you might get away with 0.5 sec less on each layer?

Patreon creators usually run their models to the end of the calendar month – so you need to make sure you’ve downloaded them all before the new month starts (if you’ve genuinely missed them, you can always contact the creator and ask for a special arrangement). I think it’s usually to stop people signing up on the last day of a month and using time zones to get two months of models/content for the price of one!

noyjatat
    Participant
    16145xp

Yep that’s the one, such a nice setup.

guillotine
    16022xp
    Cult of Games Member

@blinky465 Thanks for the Patreon recommendations, all really good looking stuff. I like the idea of following bunch and supporting 2-3 creators each month.

guillotine
    16022xp
    Cult of Games Member

I had the Dark Mage from Titan Forge printing overnight. Turned out really nice. The hole in top of the cape was the only flaw, easy to fix with green stuff.

The thin supports clean up so well.

B1DE3320-D6AF-4247-BA2C-BFAA6FB416C1414DB0B5-B4DA-48DF-B515-1FD9A1A4C5F220E4AA9F-B39C-4EBB-8E94-4A5FFDF5202D03D6579D-371A-4EF1-B19B-7D8EC91BA1D0

noyjatat
    Participant
    16145xp

Got one of the bases painted up this morning which is one of the main reasons I went in on the Patreon.IMG_20200425_093528227 (1)

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

Heres a crazy thought so correct me if this is pointless or won’t work for any reason I’m not aware of.  If the bulk of the users time and effort is in setting up the scaffolds and there’s a bunch of us backing the same Patreons and printing the same models and the files can be saved with the scaffolds in, then why don’t we set up a group of people with confirmed legit access to the files and share our home scaffolded versions of the files that we have proved work?  or do people already do this through their patreon accounts/discords?

noyjatat
    Participant
    16145xp

Probably already out there, I would have to be far more digitally social to know. I have seen messages on the discord of people being helped out with problem prints.

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

Titan Forge and Artisan Guild both offer pre-supported files by Youtube’s 3dprintingpro Greg (I forget his surname). They’re very good. But they are not infallible. Pre-supported files mean you can’t scale models or re-orient them (if, for example, you know you have a “bad spot” on your FEP, or if your printer happens to produce layer lines if oriented in a specific direction).

Lots of people find pre-supported files very good. Lots of Patreon creators are now collaborating with others to create pre-supported files. Sharing files (even between “confirmed legitimate” users) is a big no-no. Proving legitimacy would be difficult – recinding access (to shared files) when a user stops supporting a Patreon creator could become problematic.

I get your point, and many other people do, which is why pre-supported files are proving to be very popular. Personally, I like to hack at my models in Blender before printing, and rescale everything up to 32mm (it just makes painting easier!) and with pre-supported versions it would be impossible to do this. Some people are scaling down (to match existing shop-bought minis).

It’s a perfectly understandable question – why don’t users who have done the work supporting files share them? But version control, and user access control, validating the legitimacy of users etc, plus denying the original creators their “premium” upper tier for supply pre-supported models – it sounds like a headache to me!

noyjatat
    Participant
    16145xp

I suppose that is one of the good things about Titan Forge for you as they are already at 32mm heroic scale, to begin with.

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’m pricing up at the moment.  Best price resin seems to be £25-£26 for a 500ml bottle at the moment.  Amazon appears to be cheaper than ebay right now.  I don’t know where else to compare.  I’m looking at 2 from the same seller

Anycubic Photon, 1l standard resin with UK plug £258 after postage (Buy it now or best offer)

Says no 250ml resin, no FEP film.  I assume this means that I should expect the printer to come with a 250ml sample bottle on top of whats listed to sell with it?  Would they come with spare FEP film this model is mission, or is this missing a key component?  All in all I assume I’m better off going for this one at £11 more:

Anycubic Photon 1L standard resin, no mention of plug £269 after postage (Buy it now or best offer)

No mention of a plug, but I wouldn’t expect it to if the other listing hadn’t mentioned one.  I assume they run off the same power cables as my PC?  I have plenty of those spare so I should be covered even if it turns up with a non-uk standard cable.

I considered upgrading to the 1500l pack, but that increases the cost to £318 which is about £50 more …. wait thats a 3 litre pack I’ve been misreading…  2 more litres for £50 seems quite cheap right now.  What’s wrong with THIS listing?  Whatam I not seeing?

noyjatat
    Participant
    16145xp

SO not long now until you join the club, just be aware there is a learning curve as I have found even after watching and reading as much as possible but any questions just ask and we will try to muddle through together.

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’m up for a learning cure, so long as I’m not throwing time and money away for long.  Now is the time to learn.  I’m working from home so I can be there whenever the printer is done and reload it.  I’ll start with bases first I think.  They should have quick turnaround and I’ve 40ish old necromunda minis that I want to give prettier bases at the modern larger size.  Seems a simple learning point.  Then I might move on to Gorr or another small based mini.  That Griffon Rider looks pretty awesome though.

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

It’s difficult to understand what – if any – the differences are between the adverts; mine came with the resin vat already with the FEP in place. I bought spares but haven’t yet had the “joy” of having to change it. The instructions that came with mine said I’d have to assemble the vat (fit the FEP film) but it was already in place.

I bought mine through ebay user anycubic3dcom and recently all their adverts had “authorised dealer” stickers on them. Now there’s someone else claiming that, user anycubic-3d-printer (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANYCUBIC-Photon-3D-Printer-SLA-Light-Cure-FEP-Frame-2-8-TFT-Screen-405nm-Resin/401697343981) and their advert specifically says it includes a FEP film.

The photo in your link for £259 appears to show the vat with FEP fitted (and the description says it’s ready to print out of the box) and this is the one I’d be tempted to have a go at. You could always drop them a message via ebay, asking for clarification (or, at least, ask if the FEP is fitted to the vat).

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

They all say ready to print out of the box as they’ve copy and pasted the same 20 images in to every listing.  It doesn’t help.  Both sellers are using the same photos from Anycubic and both say the item is in Southall, middlesex.  I suspect they are the same company.  I’m taking a look at their stock.

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

Well I just did something stupid and expensive.  And then my internet went down and I couldn’t confirm anything, but everything seems fine.  We will see in a few days how dumb this was.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)