Skip to toolbar

Sad news about 4Ground going into Liquidation

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion Sad news about 4Ground going into Liquidation

Supported by (Turn Off)

Related Companies:

This topic contains 108 replies, has 39 voices, and was last updated by  ghent99 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 106 through 117 (of 117 total)
  • Author

limburger
    21537xp
    Cult of Games Member

@caledor2 all the terrain, or just the bits that aren’t in the starter sets ?
    I kind of hope that @4ground can update backers as to the status of their respective pledges if/when possible. Because I suspect a lot of frustration was caused by these partial/unexpected shipments.

@chaingun that is unfortunately sad, but true. I kind of blame the success of the average kickstarter project, because other than the delays it can feel like preordering instead of ‘investing’.

caledor2
    4269xp
    Cult of Games Member

@limburger I have checked my pledge with add-ons with what I already received, I also checked my mail with updates from the KS. I have 2 updates (76 and 92) about shipping. In the first  they say they shipped the £150 terrain sets and in the second update they say they shipped the rest with all the KS designed terrain. This also included the 3D printed dwarf.

I have checked what I have and I have all the buildings that I had in my pledge and add-ons (including the windmill and boatman’s house).

I also have the small things like the carts, chests and parts of the ruined wall.

But I don’t see any terrain pieces in the starter sets itself only tokens, models and rules but nothing of those were shipped.

limburger
    21537xp
    Cult of Games Member

@caledor2 I am a late backer and I honestly haven’t checked what exactly I had as it was a long time ago.

caledor2
    4269xp
    Cult of Games Member

@limburger  no problem. I try to keep some records of things that I receive from KS and mail orders I do, until I get everything from that company so I know what is still coming. I also do this because I tend to forget things and then I can go back and look it up. The added benefit is when something arrives I can easily check if I received everything.

phaidknott
    7012xp
    Cult of Games Member

Basically there’s been between 2 to 4 shipments from 4Ground depending on what level you pledged at.

Everyone got a free Dwarf during the period on how the minis were going to be cast, it was sent out as a “sample” to every backer. It also gave rise to the “Vomiting Dwarf” issue, as 4Ground were also testing printing the minis hollow (to speed up production times, I believe it was a 50/50 split with 4ground knowing who got what kind of mini so they could track how the minis stood up to shipment/handling), however it was found to not work and now all minis are being “solid” printed. Note backers who got a vomiting Dwarf could contact 4Ground at the time for a free replacement. Again 4Ground taking extraordinary steps to ensure they deliver a quality product (imagine the nightmare if they hadn’t tested it all out first).

Next was the shipment of the terrain (usually the £150 bundle plus any addons from the existing line), usually the £200 and £400 pledges.

Following that if you backed at £400 or had bought them as an addon were the buildings designed for the KS, buildings like the Windmill and the Boat House (which actually became an “exclusive” as $Ground will not be producing it in that format again (although we may see similar in the future). This was when they also sent out the MDF stretch goals like the carts and chests.

Lastly was the free 3 Goblins of Xmas given away as….well basically an Xmas prezzie from Ben, Cad and all at 4Ground.

The reasons why it was shipped out the way it was fairly simple, the Dwarf because it was a major decision point and Ben wanted Backers to see the “new” medium for themselves to help them decide (as it’s not like normal resin, it’s a lot less brittle and fumblefingers friendly).

The two terrain shipments was simply that Ben wanted to give the backers the MDF terrain as soon as possible so they could build the terrain while waiting for the KS (and to help play testers play the game with proxy minis and the playtest PDF rules and cards). It was shipped in two lots as they had the existing line ready to ship on the warehouse shelves, but needed time to produce the new Fabled Realms buildings after the KS had funded.

Lastly the Goblins….because it was Xmas 😀

No “conspiracies”, no “incompetence”, just a simple wish from Ben, Cad and Adam that the backers are happy with the KS along the way. If they are guilty of anything, it’s just simple enthusiasm for the game, the minis, and the terrain they produced for this. I think they have treated this as a “gamer” would more than a hard nosed businessman (and they seemed to be really enjoying bring all this into reality at first). They really seem to be wanting to a premium job to even shipping the minis in little custom built MDF boxes (when cardboard ones would have been serviceable). Sending out the free Dwarf was another note-able thing to do, I can’t imagine another KS scheme doing anything similar (they would just do it, and wouldn’t even put it up for a vote).

It’s such a shame there’s been so much negativity from a minority, that’s probably soured the experience for them. I’ve been VERY happy with what Ben and 4Ground has been doing so far (and feel it’s a “true” KS as they attempt to do something groundbreaking in miniature production). The internet can be a great asset at times, but it can also be a complete nightmare 🙁

The exact order of things might be out, but there was 4 deliveries by the postie here. I posted this “wall of text” for any non backers reading who might be wondering what the hell we are all talking about 😀

caledor2
    4269xp
    Cult of Games Member

Thanks @phaidknott for giving a more detail summary than mine.

I completely agree with you, a bit more positivity, understanding and patients could go a long way.

phaidknott
    7012xp
    Cult of Games Member

Well Ben’s wish that the backers be happy is so infectious that all I’d want now is to hear Ben is happy doing the KS 🙂

One thing also learned about the new medium is that you need to store them in the dark (just like a Mogwai) until you’ve got an undercoat on them. As the resin “cures” under UV it will harden under sunlight (and become a bit more brittle, just like normal dropcast resin). But once you have the undercoat on it acts as a SPF 5000 and blocks the UV. Not sure if this reaction is due to bootcamp taking place at the BoW office and the minis getting an Irish tan 😛

chaingun
    Participant
    1939xp

@phaidknott I’ve been fortunate to have been over the 4ground factory many times either gaming or having a chat, but just seeing the 3D machines in operation is mesmerising.

limburger
    21537xp
    Cult of Games Member

@caledors2 it’s not that I don’t have records (I keep all mails), but I’m used to kickstarters arriving in a single shipment and having to check a single box (which is even easier if it includes a pick list).

@phaidknott thanks for the info. I think it matches what I’ve received so far in that I know I’ve had a total of 3 packages from 4ground. Need to check what’s what on my end, but I’m not too worried yet.

wkeyser
    Participant
    91xp

i saw this in the Kickstarter comments section and thought it would be good to share here. posted by Dean Burling

@Cad @Ben. Please can we get some information about what is happening now. The last few updates haven’t been very specific about what is happening. There has been quite a bit of “sorry about no update…….we’ll give you more info in the upcoming update.”

I love the team, the products and this game but the lack of info doesn’t show you as being the enthusiastic people we have seen in videos and interviews.

Is production still ongoing with the components for LoFR due to the recent restructuring?

How far through that production are you? What is done/outstanding still to do?

Can we have some photographs of production and components? Maybe a time lapse of a mini being printed.

Are the other components complete? At what point are the rulebook/campaign book in production?

During the course of the production phase have any components changed/been added/been removed?

I don’t believe that any of the backers want this project to become a ball and chain that you just want to cast off once completed. We were full of the same enthusiasm that you guys were during the Kickstarter campaign. We all want that back. At no point should you guys think this is a lost cause. I think the communication could have been much better but there is no time like the present to change that. Join in on the comments board. Even if it is something as simple as “these 3D prints are taking longer than we thought but we’re still plodding along”. Yes, you’ll get hammered for questions when it first starts but being open and honest keeps people calm and 90% of people will be supportive if they know what is happening.

I’ve tried to stay positive through this campaign but things are starting to become difficult to defend you guys when we see you being interviewed about other products but giving no mention to LoFR or reacting like it is a dirty secret when it is mentioned (BOW video from some time back).

Please guys. Come back to the collective group and let us help build your enthusiasm for the game again. We can’t do it alone.

chaingun
    Participant
    1939xp

I think this thread has run its course now, we are all pleased that 4Ground are back in operation and we all wish them all the best for the future. If people are unhappy about any other issues then I would suggest contacting them as they have said many times, this is not the place to air personal issues.

ghent99
    3589xp
    Cult of Games Member

So there was an update on the kickstarter, https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/250544710/the-legends-of-fabled-realms/posts/2607085?ref=activity

It answers some questions that were needed answering long ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 106 through 117 (of 117 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)