Skip to toolbar

Steam Train For Gaming

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion Steam Train For Gaming

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 15 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  pagan8th 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

pagan8th
    Participant
    9371xp

I’m running a Wild West RPG and as every wild west game needs a train combat scene, I need a locomotive and some carriages for the PC’s to run along the roof off.

The train will be good for terrain in skirmish games too, I have Wild West Exodus and Wolsung which can both benefit from a steam train.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced solution for something in the 28mm to 32mm scale?

Anonymous
    0xp

Sarissa Precision do Western Trains – https://sarissa-precision.com/collections/old-west-28mm/products/oldwestrailwaybundle (just an example of stuff they do)

You may not call it reasonably priced and depending on how you have based your minis, might be hard to keep models balanced on certain pieces of rolling stock.

pagan8th
    Participant
    9371xp

Thanks. That’s some nice stuff, but I was hoping to pay about half that… which I know is a bit unrealistic… nice loco though.

And they have a good stage coach too, amongst other things, so I may be picking some bits up.

Anonymous
    0xp

TT Combat also have stuff designed for Westerns – https://ttcombat.com/collections/wild-west/products/steam-train-and-track (again a sample).

Looks cheap in my humble opinion, which is why I have never bought any of their train things.

pagan8th
    Participant
    9371xp

Seen the TT Combat stuff. The coaches are ok, but the engine is a bit chunky.

I did find this, but no rolling stock to match it.

19th C. American Steam Locomotive (Black)

Anonymous
    0xp

pagan8th
    Participant
    9371xp

I have a bad feeling that I may be spending more than I intended on wild west terrain.

Thanks for the links, very helpful, but the moths in my wallet may go hungry.

Anonymous
    0xp

One thing to note, not sure how compatible the different ranges will be with each other.

pagan8th
    Participant
    9371xp

I assumed that would be the case, which is why I want all from one source if possible…

However… this is a gaming project, not a modelling project, so it doesn’t have to be a perfect match.

sundancer
    42605xp
    Cult of Games Member

Have you looked in the toy section of your local supermarket? Take a mini with you and compare the scale. Repaint a Thomas or something 😉

pagan8th
    Participant
    9371xp

It’s a thought, but if I don’t sand the face off the train there will be comments from my players.

Going for the 4ground stuff I think… or maybe Sarissa… weighing up pros and cons.

somegeezer
    18343xp
    Cult of Games Member

I think a toy train is a good fit for your budget (and no weird octagonal MDF boilers ?) but you would need to see it in the flesh to judge.

Ogauge is generally a good fit for 28/32mm so any toy that’s close to that could be a good match. Actual O gauge would likely make the MDF trains look cheap though.

pagan8th
    Participant
    9371xp

I gave up on my budget. Went for the 4ground Loco and coaches.

somegeezer
    18343xp
    Cult of Games Member

Ha! Classic wargamer response! One of us! ???

Anonymous
    0xp

O gauge is about 1/43, so plenty of space to game on.   Some of Sarissa stuff is designed to be converted into O Gauge by fitting appropriate wheels.  Finding it cheap is the problem, one plastic coach kits would be £100 plus…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)