Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] U may be 1st but a German forester will always be Förster

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] U may be 1st but a German forester will always be Förster

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 34 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

Did you post that bingo grid somewhere? Or get it from some place? They seem to catch up interest on multiple hobby sites.

danlee
    22390xp
    Cult of Games Member

I made it myself using power point and then exported it as an image for use in my project.Hobby Bingo 2022

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

Nice work

Survival of 2021 without major issues? I’d say its been that way generally speaking.

What am I looking forward to in 2022? I’ll be raining terror on our dear Pundancer and the rest of the OTT team again with another Giftmas. Its best to start plans and taking small steps through the year to make for another episode of mayhem. Certain questions might need to be answered.

• Would the possibility of a penis piñata be out of the question for poor @dignity ?
    • Will the next package sent actually be larger than @fcostin ?
    • Will @lloyd receive a parcel with a letter in the finest of black letter or flourished copperplate calligraphy he won’t be able to make heads or tails of?
    • Does Horatio possess such charisma to be able to procure @avernos a set of painted miniatures from the famed Marco Frisoni of NJM just by sheer charm alone?
    • Will we witness @brennon be moved to tableflip his pc setup from jealousy of other team member’s presents in the next Giftmas episode?
    • Will @warzan be able to blow nearly all the speakers of CoGs/OTTers with his ecstatic cries from Horatio’s package? (not like that, degenerates!)

Who knows what madness lurks in the mind of Horatio Noseblower? We will all see, Giftmas 2022.

Ancient weekender watching? Dear Pundancer, jusf go back to old Let’s Play videos and interviews and you’ll see how much the channel has changed. It was on a lark that YouTube suggested such a thing and I was blown away. Much has changed in 10 years.

In the meantime I wanted to take a moment to post some food for thought despite not often being on myself. I apologize for it not being video of music but it seemed quite in line with our no politics/religion ruling as to keep heads and tempers evenkeeled. Making our hobby realm accessible and allowing fun is our aim here and the repetition of the rules is the standing orders of keeping order. Its a good idea to process as Snag-a-normie month is not far off.

danlee
    22390xp
    Cult of Games Member

Good call with the old weekender vid @sundancer. I watched it last night and it put me in the mood to paint for an hour and a half while I watched it.

I joined OTT in the summer of 2013 so there was a lot of nostalgia going back to the hobby scene from around that time.

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

The oldest XLBS I could find:

The Weekender: XLBS!!!

Have a nice Sunday! 8)

limburger
    21535xp
    Cult of Games Member

There are ‘fans’ out there that do gatekeep and will tell people off for picking the ‘wrong’ game and having ‘wrong fun’.
    I’ve seen too many toxic communities to not worry when someone talks about ‘gatekeeping’ as a positive feature.

I also find it suspicious when videos talk about articles without linking them :

https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2022/01/05/fans-arent-gatekeeping-anything-theyre-just-wary-of-would-be-dictators-trying-to-take-over-their-hobbies/?sh=257b1c694fc1

The article is written in such a non committal way that it doesn’t say anything because it tries to claim there is no ‘gatekeeping’ by changing the definition of the word to the point the answer is what the author wants it to be.

I’ve seen responses to questions that basically read : “you are having wrong fun”
    Wether that’s historical communities (where rivet counters will hate you for not using the correct shade of green on your tanks) or fans of fictional universes (where they will hate you for not painting your storm troopers the correct shade of white).
    There are people out there in most communities that will try to gatekeep you out of their hobby if you don’t follow their idea of ‘fun’ to the letter.

For an example of this just read this :

[Tabletop RPGs] The Fall of the Forge: How a Groundbreaking TTRPG Collective Divided a Hobby and Fell Apart over Accusations of “Brain Damage” from HobbyDrama

(the fact that there’s a reddit for ‘hobby drama’ should tell you enough … 😉 )

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

The oldest XLBS I could find:

Thanks for posting this. I was just thinking of watching an old XLBS today.

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

I watched approximately half of the video Horatio has linked. And either my understanding of the terminologies like “woke” and “gatekeeping” are somewhat off (because a) not a native speaker and b) constant change of meaning of words. Just look up gay and queer a few decades ago… completely different meaning from today) or that bloke is really…. wrong.

And by looking at his other videos… I think I don’t like him or the ones that cheer for him.

There is no wrong way of doing hobby or having fun. If you want it that or this way, go for it. Don’t expect others to follow in just because you feel it “the correct way”.

That’s as far as I will venture into this discussion, mainly because I feel horribly inadequate at talking politics even in my own language.

Now, back to the XLBS

limburger
    21535xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundancer that bloke is just completely wrong.
    Games and settings will change.
    Without it we’d still be playing with sticks and stones, because no one would have dared to adapt chainmail rules and use it to play a fantasy game …

I mean imagine the horror of someone adapting a historical game and using it to recreate the battles in Lord of the Rings.
    And then the even bigger horror of them selling a version of those changes in booklet form …

If the fans of ‘chaimail’ had reacted like that guy wanted them to react we wouldn’t have D&D 5th edition.

Yelling ‘no’ when that happens won’t do a thing, unless everyone votes with their wallet.

I applaud OTT/BoW, this forum and ours mods for keeping politics out of hobby and calling it out when coversations cross the line @limburger. That low level gatekeep and respect for a general air of civility which offers invitation to people we have here really is my point. That (flame war) Forge info is an example of how we might fall apart if we don’t play nice with each other.

As @sundancer points out XLBS has made quite the change as well

limburger
    21535xp
    Cult of Games Member

@horati0nosebl0wer I think the simple fact that there is a great deal of respect for everyone, the games they play and how they choose to play them is what makes  OTT such a friendly community.

There is none of this “I iz right and you suxxorz” and “git gud” attitudes that I’ve seen in other forums/social media.
    The worst we have is square vs round bases … and that’s more satire/poking fun at the sillyness of it all.

We may complain a lot about what GW does, but given that they are the 5000 pound gorilla in our hobby room I think that is to be expected. They should be better and they probably know they can be, but at the same time they’re in this to make money instead of friends … so their behaviour is kind of par for the course.

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

Monday again… Welcome to the new week. I hope you all are safe, sane and healthy… at least as far as possible.

limburger
    21535xp
    Cult of Games Member

safe sure

silly me had the wrong innter tube so couldn’t fix the trike at work …

I hope I do have the correct one tomorrow 😀
    I guess I should have checked yesterday instead of just throwing things in my bag and going to work …

It was a nice short walk there and back again though (+/- 3 Km, so a bit over 30 minutes )

// — edit —
    Lucky me had the correct inner tube at home, so everything is ok now.
    It does look a bit weird to have to different tires on the front wheels, but it got me home and that’s what matters most.
    Silly webshop informed me that there would be a delay, because despite having items ‘in stock’ it apparently is ‘difficult’ to ship stuff.
    Somehow I think they’re (a) not as local as the website would have me believe and (b) not as accurate in their stock.
    I doubt I will ever use them again in the future.

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

I haven’t been sane for over 20 years! I have actually done a little hobby, though! I built 10 Polish Paratroopers over the last two days. Not much time for painting, sadly, and I have nothing primed and, with the weather here now finally being consistently negative, that’s not likely to change. My brother and his wife are doing one of those hobby bingo thingies. They’re using the GW one (because they only really play GW games) but I can easily use their template and just argue a ‘counts as’ for my non-GW stuff…if I ever get around to painting again… My projects haven’t really been touched for months, sadly.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)