Skip to toolbar

Hobby Weekender 08/07/2019 – It came from… behind….

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Hobby Weekender 08/07/2019 – It came from… behind….

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 67 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  horati0nosebl0wer 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

I wont let this thing die…. and neither should YOU!

Welcome to the Hobby Weekender. This is a collaborative thread, please be encouraging, don’t be a dick, keep politics and religion out, be supportive and constructive. To quote one of the Latham’s of GW: be hobby positive. I’m gonna keep this short as folks generally knows how this works and what happens, and if they don’t and are new then we can elaborate, show what we do (as opposed to tell).

Post music, and good music. Be respectful. Talk to people. Post pictures. Write hobby background, make terrain, spray stuff, build stuff, play stuff and tell hobby anecdotes. Show us your home brew. Points will be awarded equating to real world value Disney Dollars, as well as unlockable forum Achievements that reward actual XP.

So, make a pledge and respond to questions. A more detailed answer fuels the discussion, discuss things with people and give us all something to work with and grow as people and exchange ideas, as well as create new ones.

Questions:

1. Storing terrain – do you have a special system to store terrain? Or is it just on big pile?
    2. Modular terrain – have you ever done modular terrain be it self build or some bought system?
    3. Generic terrain – what is the most generic terrain you can think of that is not woods, grass and deserts.

I’m off for the day again and tomorrow is a busy family day so it could be a while for me to come back. Maybe later this evening when I can find a minute or two.

woldenspoons
    Participant
    3557xp

First. First.

woldenspoons
    Participant
    3557xp

Storing terrain – do you have a special system to store terrain? Or is it just on big pile?

Mine is all pretty much scattered everywhere. I do have some in locker at my gaming store but that’s more by accident than design.

Modular terrain – have you ever done modular terrain be it self build or some bought system?

I have two of the Kill Team kits if that is what you mean? Quite enjoyed putting it together.

Generic terrain – what is the most generic terrain you can think of that is not woods, grass and deserts

These days? Barrels and Gears of War style chest high walls.

I had a game of 40k today but got hammered. My usual opponent is pretty damn handy with those marines.

tuffyears
    23171xp
    Cult of Games Member

been finishing up my dwarf project

and a spazz marine

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

Hello all! It’s been a couple of weeks since I’ve taken part in one of these, but I recently started a 40hr/week job that has been taking a lot of my time…so not much has been done. I’m going to try and pop in whenever I can, but probably not much in the way of hobby, though I am going to be playing Bolt Action with my brother on Monday, so that should be fun! I will try and possibly remember to take some pictures for you all, maybe. 😛

For what passes as a pledge, I will be trying to work on some mini building…though the heat here is quite bad (95% humidity yesterday) so I’m a bit sluggish at stuff. 😛 Have a song a friend of mine introduced me to a little while ago!

kingandcountry
    3014xp
    Cult of Games Member

Storing terrain is more a case of wherever it’ll fit as opposed anything particular, that being said I do have a cupboard all modelling paraphernalia is supposed to fit in… supposed to..

Modularity wise most of the stuff ive made is either small enough or able to be disassembled, somethings like pegasus bridge are unable to be condensed but hey ho

generic terrain wise.. bushes shrubberies and flowers scattered on small round bases they break up grass don’t get in the way but add that little bit of difference even if you use some scatter to blend them in

music wise little bit of folk music is a nice background to hobby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8CVQBgBSL8

or the AC2 theme

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

Hello lads, it’s Monday moanin’ and I haven’t done any hobby on the weekend. Just to much family stuff. Here are some points!

@woldenspoons

1. So just the usual storage solution as is tradition.

2. I was thinking more of some kind of board tiles that go together and form a 3’x3′ or a 4’x6′

3. Red explody barrels?

10 points for being first, 30 for answers and 30 for music

@tuffyears

those little firebugs are very nice. 35 points for sharing the good work and 10 for the music.

@crazyredcoat

Congrats for the job. Don’t let it ruin the hobby for you 😉

20 points.

@kingandcountry

1. “supposed to fit” I hear you XD

30 for answers and 10 for music

Anonymous
    0xp

Questions:

Storing terrain – do you have a special system to store terrain? Or is it just on big pile?

Boxes, piled into boxes.  I need to sort it out. 

Modular terrain – have you ever done modular terrain be it self build or some bought system?

Yes. I have loads of the Mantic Deadzone terrain and 4Ground stuff that can be set up in various ways.  Variety is the spice of life, or so we are told.  

Generic terrain – what is the most generic terrain you can think of that is not woods, grass and deserts.

Boundaries – hedges, fences, walls.  

Have a poppy growing outside my hobby shed, such a beautiful flower.  Bill and Ben, my sunflowers are also looking fabulous but don’t want to turn this into Robert posts pictures of his garden thread.  I’ll start a project for that lol.

IMG_1819

Also been working on some Flames of War and Undead stuff.  I have the Maus built now, found those other tanks that I built years ago when GF9 Tank game was released, started to paint some infantry but got distracted and read the book “The D-Day Dodger”, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

IMG_1810IMG_1812IMG_1814IMG_1815 (1)IMG_1818

tuffyears
    23171xp
    Cult of Games Member

Still waiting for the ww2 paints from element games. But this did turn up from amazon

DSC_0092

woldenspoons
    Participant
    3557xp

@sundancer I mainly play at shops for anything needing a board so no modular board required.

I did post earlier but it looks to have vanished in the wash. My pledge this week was to assemble my Primaris Captain (done) and finish my Plagueburst Crawler. Oh and I have the Trident Realms Vanguard set coming alongside the Vanguard starter set. I’m as excited as @tuffyears waiting on their Stranger Things set. Awesome pick up.

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

@robert

Boxception…. ah the classic. 30 points

20 Points for pictures, 5 extra for the air-guitar-playing-sword-mummy

@tuffy

Can’t really get behind Stranger Things (as a series) but I’ve got to give them kudos for the marketing they are doing. That stuff is spot on.

15 Points.

@woldenspoons

10 Points for the pledge.

It’s a slow week for me… just an hour of Battletech (the video game) for me. Can’t really get me rear end to do hobby atm.

limburger
    21535xp
    Cult of Games Member

@tuffyears those lava effects are great. You can almost feel the heat.

@sundancer I find your lack of puns disturbing … 😉

• Storing terrain – do you have a special system to store terrain? Or is it just on big pile?
      One big ol’ stack of boxes at the moment.
    • Modular terrain – have you ever done modular terrain be it self build or some bought system?
      Is Battlesystems modular enough ?
      I got the kickstarter and Corespace, because I liked the idea of cheap modular terrain that looked good.
    • Generic terrain – what is the most generic terrain you can think of that is not woods, grass and deserts
      Starfields and sea would be two variants that are generic enough, even though they have limited use.
      It kind of gets specialized rather quick. Street/City mats tend to be linked to specific scales and the fixed layout is limiting its use as well, unless you’re playing a campaign and need the same city layout more than once.

I really should be working on my minions … the heatwave from last week has gone, so I might get myself motivated again.
    I also need to start thinking about the Ork army that I’ll be starting for the 40k bootcamp, which should give me a chance to turn the Ork killteam bits I’ve been collecting into a proper Orkish force.
    A theme for the army is missing at the moment, so might need to think of something to be worthy of a project.
    I’ve seen a few pictures of interesting conversions of the ‘new’ Ork vehicles.

Funny-Minion-Pictures-13

Funny-Minion-Pictures-16

😀 enjoy your week folks

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

Good morning everyone…

@limburger Apollgies… the think-sponge in my bone bowl on top of my neck isn’t working like it’s supposed to… I blame politics… or something…

30 points for answers

And now: music

tuffyears
    23171xp
    Cult of Games Member

Paints have arrived, just waiting on my colours of war book now

limburger
    21535xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundancer I hear drowning it in alcohol helps …

Nirvana ? I can do that too

1st world problems of course

More puns incoming …

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)