Skip to toolbar

Hobby Weekender 12/15/2018 – An early Giftmas to regular hosts

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Hobby Weekender 12/15/2018 – An early Giftmas to regular hosts

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 50 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  evilstu 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author

When those who regularly host have gotten worn down from a great many sessions of hosting the irregular contenders take up the mantle that they might be afforded a well deserved rest. Unfortunately said mantle,  despite the claim that it is an austere vestment of office, is a little worn in some places, not particularly well laundered and frankly a bit pungent from the long time of being in service. Measurements are being taken of the original article and potential new fabrics are being looked at in exciting colors and patterns with various textures that would be rather pleasant to wear on both casual or formal  occasions. One must also be mindful of getting it done before the New Year’s party and having it be spill/stain-proof as such festivities are more than likely going to end up rather interesting for conversation throughout the rest of the year.

Now, let the measure of the meandering mayhem we call the Weekender commence!

Intro blurb (including this bit) shamelessly cut and paste below (again again ) :

To the uninitiated, this is a virtual hobby hangout here on the forum. It is something fun and silly with a little more ‘oomph’. Its not just show and tell with your models. Its chatting, getting to know one another, community building. Think of it as a sort of club like hobby session. Everyone is welcome, of course, and there are a few rules to abide by. Let it go as OT as you like with chatting with folks. BoW is a special, unique community, and this little weekly thread is a tradition on these forums. Though not for everyone, if you are still reading and keen, then it is for you. If not, best click out.

We do a few things on this thread that usually lasts from Friday or Saturday til about Wednesday or Thursday. My say is final in this silly little corner of the internet. Fear not, for this is your safe place against the outside world of flame wars, trolling and all that other crap.

(1) Make a pledge for the weekend. It can be painting, assembly, priming, converting, background writing, terrain, you name it. Just gotta be relevant to hobbying or gaming.

(2) Chat with people. Be friendly. Do get to know one another, be kind, provide positive reinforcement and constructive criticism. Do not post up your real name, credit card, bank details or home address info.

(3) I will list out questions. Answer them. Longer answers = more points. Also, points are being assigned to something else as it confused some folk for a while.

(4) Awards will be given out at the end of the thread and you shall be awarded XP, added to your account profile by the wonderful @lancorz . Think of him as the ever vigilant Batman of the forums who keeps a careful eye on the status quo, but also acts in a way, like Alfred; with a calm disposition and the attentive nature of a concierge.

(5) Scottish Pub Law rules: no discussion of religion or politics**. Keep it clean. Behave. Be nice, be kind. Walk away if you get angry. Don’t be a dick.

Also there are bonuses for the following ‘Achievements’:
    · Most Valuable Player (most engaged with topic)
    · Fire Starter (topic starter, encourages the member circulation)
    · Hobby Champ (most hobby over the weekend)
    · Meme Lord (ryhmes, funnies & memes)
    · Pun-Tertainment (best pun)
    · Brush Licker (painting & terrain)
    · Headliner DJ (most eclectic music)
    · Armchair Commander (weekend battle reports)
    · Community Usher (helpful & engaged)
    · Storyteller (weekly discussion & story)

Note: All points are awarded in fictional currencies…

And there are weekly questions to get the conversation going. So, for this week:

Have you found yourself fond of a particular color and use it wherever you can?  If so, what is it?

Do you feel there is a certain amount of texture on figures that makes or breaks a model?

Do detailed resin bases add or subtract from gaming figures?

With tabletop board games that take up quite a bit of room in storage creating spectacularly detailed playing pieces do you see the future becoming more difficult for hobbyists to maintain space for their hobby?

dawfydd
    11889xp
    Cult of Games Member

Top marks for taking over hosting duties this week dude 🙂 and some very interesting questions…

1) Green, specifically what became Castellan Green but I  used  to make from mixing Camo Green with a bit of Chaos Black – that colour was the basis for my Askaran Rangers IG army and was what I used when I briefly dabbled inRaptors fora tournament army many moons ago. Since hten it is the rare mini that doesn’t get a spot of that darker green somewhere, even if just on a piece of detailing…

2) Tricky one. There is always that fine line striking the right balance between too-much and too-little texture. For the gaming table it doesn’t need to be too heavy, in most cases something to break things up. I think that’s part of why I’ve always enjoyed Space Wolves – they come with that extra bit of detail integral to their design. I know some companies (especially on character models) can get a bit carried away

3) Depends on  the base – Personally I took to using resin bases on my WarmaHordes & Infinity models partly because I was getting back into miniature painting and didn’t want to faff about with putting glue & sand on bases anymore, and found they allowed me to maintain a consistent theme across each force. I do think some of the bases I’ve seen out there can be a bit much – the Urban Fight ones I use for my Ariadnans just skirt the line with how much detail is sculpted around the edge of the base. I have seen others that just make me go “Nope! Too much!” they have so much on.

2013-08-10 14.17.01

2016-03-13 13.41.452017-02-27 16.50.052015-12-26 18.18.432016-08-13 17.15.282016-04-10 21.16.09

Sadly though no pledges for the weekend as today I’m wrapping presents, catching Aquaman,then meeting up for a boardgames evening with some friends,then tomorrow we have a pre-emptive Christmas with my sisters family so are out early doors….

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

Have you found yourself fond of a particular color and use it wherever you can? If so, what is it?

Black. Because Heavy Metal. And also red… yes, I’m a simple man. 😉

Do you feel there is a certain amount of texture on figures that makes or breaks a model?

Scales. Fur, leather, chain mail, skin and even feathers can be “cheated” but scales need attention… though I must admit I’m just theorizing since I never had something with scales on it.

As always: it depends. When it is a game with only a few miniatures it adds. If it’s a display piece it definitely adds. On mass army battles it’s just a pain in the rear end.

My hobby pledge: archive my X-Wing V1 stuff, sleeve my remaining 400’ish X-Wing V2 cards and sort them for better management. Also I want to play but I don’t know if that will be possible due to all the holiday stuff happening.

On Sunday my family and I will go and see fantastic beasts II. let’s hope it’s good 😉

dawfydd
    11889xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundancer yeah, I’m dreading getting the X-Wing 2.0 upgrade packs 😀

Did have some hobby goodness turn up today though: a complete set of the Space Marine Heroes Wave 2 – Terminator Boogaloo:

2018-12-15 12.03.53

Awesomely you do get all six, which is spiffy. I am seriously debating dropping the £50 for the accompanying starter paint set, because the Terminator Standard bearer it comes with is ****ing awesome….

Also, the 8th & final season of Voltron- Legendary Defender has dropped on Netflix. I’m halfway in and kinda wishing I hadn’t made plans but I really do need to get out of the house 🙂

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

Done! Finished! 1200+ cards sleeved and sorted. Top row are upgrade cards, red container are the pilots.

IMG_20181215_192635669

Now to think of a decent way to store all the old tokens.. and maybe play a game or two

@dawfydd 30 pistoozas in combo from question responses, pictures and in honor of being stumped by the conundrum of whether or not to continue geeking out on 80s inspired cartoons.

Best of luck in taking care of the more figures. I can see that the storage issue might be a question to look at with the growing collection.

@sundancer 30 pistoozas in combo from question responses, setting your goal and showing off its achievement. Best of luck on your thumbs from the last thread post about how you’d been beating up on them.

Best of luck with the movie I can only guess that if the production continues as it has then it should be good.

Time for me to be off for work and I’ll check in on everybody later

Epic Christmas is epic! … Unless you really are playing Epic and then its really just a bunch of figures that are waaay too small to be painted like larger counterparts and are rather a pain in the posterior.

evilstu
    15298xp
    Cult of Games Member

@horati0nosebl0wer thanks for hosting this week 🙂 Have some running around to do today but will be back later on to join in properly 🙂 Hope everyone is having a great weekend so far!

jodain
    12433xp
    Cult of Games Member

Can’t say that I can pledge to do something – first time I’ve posted in this type of thread, but I really want to pick up the brush tomorrow to get on with some figures.  Anyway onto the questions:

Have you found yourself fond of a particular color and use it wherever you can? If so, what is it?

For me it must be browns, not a particular shade but I have so many different shades of brown from Leperous Brown through to Oak Brown and onwards.  Sometimes it feels like half my paint pots are a shade of brown.

I will admit to getting put off of painting some figures due to the amount of detail, but washes have helped me not worry too much about that.  I do however enjoy painting furs, might be something to do with all those browns…

I’m not a big fan of resin bases to be honest, not for the reasons suggested but more to do with limitations a flocked green base can allow you to get away with a few different terrains, but a resin base looks odd in some places.

With tabletop board games that take up quite a bit of room in storage creating spectacularly detailed playing pieces do you see the future becoming more difficult for hobbyists to maintain space for their hobby?

There is no doubt that the answer is yes to that question.  I have a shed in the garden for my gaming bags of miniatures but that seems not to be enough even now!

Had a game of X-Wing V2 last night with a friend, I haven’t yet got the upgrade kit for my rebels so played with my friends ships etc.  Really enjoyed the game it doesn’t feel too much different from v1 to put me off.

@evilstu … No worries. Take the time you need. Like I said before I’ll cover to give a well deserved breather. That does remind me to poke out at @mage to see what’s going on with our other well worn host on short sabbatical.

@ jodain … Glad to have you aboard and welcome to our merry band of miscreants/mischief makers. No worries about the pledge as you can say that your first one is to pick up your brush again.

Interesting responses, notably the one regarding bases, as it got me to thinking about other things people say in playing games as the basing of the figures drawing away from the narrative terrain. 20 pistoozas in combo for jumping into the thread and saying hello and questions responses.

Well, time for my responses.

I’ve come to like Reaper’s Marigold Yellow as a solid mid tone for NMM gold and general use

I’ve seen a lack of texture kills me from certain aspects in Warma-Hordes and I break out my airbrush to hit plating with the info I’ve found useful in YouTube videos for armor modellers.

It really depends on the game and the paint job. I’ll generally say that it helps make them look more interesting but I generally scratchbuild.

Yes, yes, yes. Kickstarter is a great space for temptation when looking at minis. The people who create and sell games have caught on to what we look for in figures and have responded in pushing the envelope of digital sculpting.

evilstu
    15298xp
    Cult of Games Member

@horati0nosebl0wer cheers. And yeah I think @mage is probably just busy with the lead-up to Christmas and all.

OK questions!

Have you found yourself fond of a particular color and use it wherever you can?  If so, what is it?

Yup – Vallejo Model colour cavalry brown. It’s my ‘go to’ for red cloth, one step red leather and oddly enough, roof tiles…

20181118_134636a20181201_152726a20181216_141048aIMG_1299a

Personally, I’m more in the ‘fit for purpose’ category. High volume low detail minis are great for ‘rank and flank’ wargames, but better detail and poses are preferable for skirmish level games. if we are talking about a display piece, then the more detail the better 🙂

If they are appropriately detailed enough and add to the narrative of the miniature then I think they would be helpful. If a blank resin base is pre-moulded onto a mini then that would be inconvenient as you may have to remove it to use an alternate/preferred moulded resin base. I’ve seen some complete units with interlinking resin bases forming intricate tile patterns and it looks fantastic. OK I’m guessing I must be in the ‘add ‘ category on this one 🙂

No, maintaining space for the hobby will be simple. it’s maintaining space for everything else when the hobby stuff consumes all other available space that will be the real trick 😉 Seriously, pack down, label and store what you are not going to use in the medium term and it will be there when you do need it. Stackable storage trays are the friend of every hobbyist 🙂

My hobby for the weekend – I’ve been playing Warhammer total War 2 and got inspired to revisit some of my old minis and put together forces for some alternate themed factions. So this weekend I accidentally a Middenheim army from old figures… you know, the ones in my neatly labelled storage boxes 😛 (yeah, it took ages to find them all in various locations….)

20181216_183138

Still converting the general – had to strip off or hide so much Sigmar iconography and replace it with White Wolf iconography instead…

20181216_182442a

evilstu
    15298xp
    Cult of Games Member

@dawfydd wrapping presents doesn’t count as hobby?… hope the film is as much fun as the trailer 🙂 Nice loot in the post!

@sundancer congrats in getting that lot sorted – hope your hands are recovering…

http://direman.com/direman/comic.php?comicID=1066

@jodain welcome aboard! what miniatures are you planning on painting? Don’t stress about brown – you can never have too many shades, it is a ridiculously versatile colour. good to hear X wing 2.0 isn’t markedly different – I haven’t tried the new edition yet, might just stick with version 1 for the time being…

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Hey guys, very busy! Things should ease off by this evening. I hope.

for now my pledge is:

(1) varnish some goblin town scenery

(2) post a pic of my finished Boba Fett

(3) varnish my complete Mordheim Undead modems

(4) paint up the goblin kings throne (WIP at the moment)

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

(1) regarding preferred and favourite colours. It used to be blue: I painted some Ultramarines and Deathskull Orks back in the day.

Then as time and my skills progressed it became purples and torquises but that kind of went out the window when liche purple and hawk torquise stopped getting made

Now I like painting skin, reds, granites, greens of various types, black, greys and gold. This is kind of a progression with getting better at painting, trying out different paints, learning new techniques, improving, playing in new settings and enjoying different factions and subfactions

(2) that’s a tough one I will come back to. It’s not straight forward to me at all. What I will say is since privateer press improved their sculpting technology and skills in the last few years, and they were always pretty good – some of them like Menoth and Skorne models went over the top with details, different surfaces, textures and overlapping items that, while cool, are hard to paint and a tad over the top. Like walking chandeliers

(3) assuming they are well cast and your pin picking out what you want and have a nice selection, then I can’t see them detracting at all. They help add to the setting, theme and story of your army. It increases the immersion

(4) I think that’s less a question of space, the design of the game and the hobbyist and moreso: we have never had a more diverse and broad selection of range and games to choose from.

This sums it up better than any write up I could detail:

rayzryr
    Participant
    20833xp

Huzzah!

Let the Weekend Commence!

Most splendiforous salutations to our esteemed irregular host, @horati0nosebl0wer

I have been absent this past two-week as time was little permitting to partake. Some small hobby was done, but not much! It will most likely be the case until we have passed the Yule-tide, retail wage slave that I am!

But having an opportunity this week to engage my fellow Weekenders, I could not let it slip by!

My pledge: the Elf Quest continues! I have moved back toward the darker kin, having finished another batch of old High Elves. A Mantic Assassin, another old GW Witch Elf, and a Red Box Games Elf Assassin await.

I remember I was rather enjoying GW Scab Red. I’ve used it as a skin tone for a Beastman Lord, for a Malifaux Adult Nephilim. I’ve used it as a base for brighter reds, such as on my Dark Angels, especially the Death Wing.

Speaking of Dark Angels, I do rather like that Dark Angels Green… I have to, to keep painting more DA.

Yes. Though I couldn’t give a quantitive answer. We’ve all seen miniatures that are either too busy or too bland. But it’s so subjective to each viewer.

In my opinion, for example, many of the “after-market” versions of GW Chaos verge on too busy. Productions by Wargames Exclusive, Scibor and many of those others who are making not-Chaos always seem to load up the details. They often look great, but damn, there’s a lot to look at.

Again, that’s a subjective answer…

I prefer them though. They can ground the mini in its world, give the user an link to where that mini is.

They are also a limiting factor though: my Elves are based with cobble/dungeon bases because that’s where I feel I’ll mostly use them. As soon as they go for a walk through the forest though, they bases look out of place. But Im not much of a fan of clear bases… though I did think I might want to use them if I get into Star Wars: Legion. I’d like to do clear bases with like a holographic ring, like you’d find on an RTS video game. I’m sure that’s been done before. I’d probably be able to just buy them ?

Oh man, yes! I bought Kingdom Death, and all the expansions in the first Kickstarter… as well as several more minis that I’ve collected from them over the years. The base box on its own is huge! I could dedicate a cabinet to that game. Display area up top, cupboard down below for all the cards and tokens etc.

I feel that we will have to be savvy with our purchases. Many of us will find that we’ve snapped up too many bargains on Kickstarter, gone All-In a few too many times, and we just have to purge.

It’s part of the reason I’m glad I didn’t get in on Mythic Battles or Conan. The minis are glorious but there’s just so many of them!

Back soon for replies and convo!

rayzryr
    Participant
    20833xp

@dawfydd I’d say we have similar opinions on texture and bases. Or, I agree with your opinions ?

I feel that Infinity lends itself to textures bases.

Damn. I haven’t seen those Space Marine Heroes for sale in Australia. I’m guessing you got them imported too?

I’ll wait until they do the DA!

@sundancer everything goes with black, it’s a classic ?

@jodain hi! Just picking up the brush is enough ?

I agree with your point about detailed bases looking odd in various situations!

@evilstu ? seeing all those ranked units makes me pine for old Fantasy Battles… though I hardly ever played it…

that’s a kickin’ conversion! Is that a stamp for the chain mail barding on the horse?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)