Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] It's Friday CoGs!

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] It's Friday CoGs!

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 61 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • Author

danlee
    22390xp
    Cult of Games Member

This weeks goal is to paint Mephiston for my Blood Angels.

I just finished my Talos and goblin vampire. Full project entry here: https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1467945/#snav

IMG_1694IMG_1690

1. Did you notice the badge? – Yes..
    2. Do you want any special thing/theme/topic on the next uHH? – Not really.
    3. Who drank my coffee!? – You, you just forgot.

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

Who drank my coffee!? – You, you just forgot.

@danlee  what did I forget? I can’t remember…

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

My internet connection is driving me crazy. Four hours in and I’m still only half-way through XLBS. I think I’m going to have to give up on web-based development and spend half a day setting up an offline server. Had I done this a week ago, I reckon my own game development would have been concluded by now!

Some different music for you; my mate found this on the ‘net the other day which I’d completely forgotten about. I suggested to @warzan that us CoGs could come up with some music for his pirate radio station if we put our minds to it. My wife asked me why the stuff I play is nothing like the stuff I like to listen to. I guess the short answer is, I’m not that technically proficient! (seriously, three chords and one scale gets you through 90% of the blues)

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

There is a lot to be said about virtual machines running dev tools 😉

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

Yeah. I’d been putting off spending half a day setting up an offline server, believing it better to spend as much time as possible on developing things further. Also, I thought by keeping it available on the ‘net, I could get other players to jump aboard sooner. I was wrong both times!

I spent this afternoon setting up an offline server and am now burning through the dev work, on my own local network! Screw you BT – your failure to keep my connected to the ‘net can’t stop me now…..

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

@limburger – stop adding delivery/travel costs and you’ll be cured!

If you’re going into town – even if it’s only to buy paints and hobby supplies – treat the travel costs as part of your ongoing daily expenditure; a bit like having to pay your electricity standing charge or your phone line rental bill, even if you don’t use any energy or make any calls.

“Today I’m going to town and at the end of it, I’ll be £10 or 10 euros lighter (or whatever it costs)”. Treat it as the cost of having a few hours out of the house. Now you’re no longer under obligation to amortise that cost across your purchases – whether you buy 1 pot of paint or 50, that travel expense is money you’ve spent on something that *is not* hobby.

I used to tie myself in knots trying to get the best deal either visiting shops or hunting around online for the best deal/cheapest delivery etc. Accept that not every penny you have spare is for “hobby” and you’ll enjoy your (fewer) purchases all the more 😉

woldenspoons
    Participant
    3557xp

I need your help fellow CoGers. Previously when paying Stormcast Eternals I sprayed them gold to start with and except in one instance I got away with it.

Now I have a fresh batch to do (hello Mortal Realms) and I am totally out of retributor gold spray and can’t afford another even if they are still available.

What I do have is a white spray, a back spray and a grey spray. My go to here previously would have been the black but would it be better if I used the neutral grey instead? Not used a grey primer before so looking for confirmation it will be fine.

Many thanks amigos!

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’d go for white as it will make the brush on gold shine the most. What could also work, if you have the parts in your home: paint the gold parts in the brightest silver metal tone you have and wash yellow ink over it. According to @avernos on this weeks XLBS that should help you.

avernos
    Keymaster
    33467xp

not yellow ink, chestnut or flesh wash if you have them. mix a mustard brown 50:50 for your base coat to get good coverage

limburger
    21535xp
    Cult of Games Member

@blinky465 it’s not the travel to my own town, because that I can write off as part of my commute. It’s travelling for more than an hour across the country just to visit a well stocked FLGS … which sadly is not possible at the moment due to travel restrictions and Covid-19.

It used to be easy when I was a student, because we had access to free public transport. Travelling to a ‘distant’ city was sort of a mini holiday and it still kind of is.

Besides … never apply logic to a hobby.

Why would you need an off-line server for development ? Or are you relying on Azure for parts of your software ?

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

I have free public transport from Uni, but sadly I do not live in the city in which I go to school (I need to fix that) and the free public transport for my school only runs during the school months (the damn school needs to fix that) and within the city itself. Hobby costs are something of a luxury for me, so it just pisses me off when I need a paint or two, but if I got those two things it costs me extortionate amounts… Webstores are more useful for me, because I live in the arse end of nowhere, but I actually much prefer going somewhere where there’s people…

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

Not Azure, but I run my own web server through DigitalOcean. It’s for trying out an idea for online tabletop play. The actual gameplay side of things is all sorted out, it’s the tedious maintenance stuff that’s taking the time (like logging in, creating a new game, joining an existing game etc). Developing the actual game was fun and I could do almost all of it offline. But I need to test out posting game turns and the like to a server, to make sure everything plays back in sequence. And with my crappy BT internet at the minute dropping connections anywhere between five and twenty minutes apart, development has really slowed down!

I’ve just cloned my remote web server and stuck it on a little Raspberry Pi, plugged into my router. It means I can build and test the web-connectivity side of things without actually being connected to the ‘net (plus run Cron jobs and python scripts, just like the web server can). It’s not brilliant, but it’s doing the job!

I’ve given up adding delivery etc. to the cost of items I’m buying on the ‘net. Just accepting them as part of the ongoing cost of coping with this stupid virus. It also means I don’t spend two hours or more comparing prices to try to get the “best deal” or to justify delivery – just pick a price I’m happy to pay, pull the trigger, then move on. I’m spending more (on delivery) and less (on actual goods) but, man, getting so much more done in a day 😉

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

going somewhere where there’s people

Ah…. those were the days. Stupid virus. It seems like a long time ago already…

Let’s start with the obligatory pledge for the week: To get the initial painting of the base for the next project I’m excited about. Here’s a peek.

20200531_212640

I did notice my fancy schmancy new badge *proceeds to swish it about in proper Lloyd fashion*

A theme of interest for next week? It sounds like we’re providing the running notes for the program. Meh…. I’m pretty much on autopilot these days for the UHH and happy to pop in and out.

Now was that coffee cold brewed or done in a vacuum system perchance? If so to either then it might’ve been me. Lately I’ve been introduced to both and they are very different from drinking the espresso and lattes I have had in past. Cold and vacuum have been the only ways that I’ve been able to enjoy coffee straight black without sugar or creamer.

SCIENCE!!!!

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

Not had the most productive weekend here, but I think tomorrow (after running errands) I’ll get started on some painting experiments. I want to try and do some interesting punk-ish hair colours on an Escher model I have primed and maybe get a uniform basecoat on my 2nd Lt. (though he might actually be a Sgt.). I’m planning to start a new project for all my upcoming painting enterprises more for fun than anything, so maybe by the end of the week I will have something up. For some music, have an interesting song I accidentally came across. Never played Wolfenstein, myself, but the tune is good. That counts, right?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)