Skip to toolbar

15mm, 20mm, 28mm, GO! (UJWC)

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion 15mm, 20mm, 28mm, GO! (UJWC)

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 107 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  ceppie 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 122 total)
  • Author

rayzryr
    Participant
    20833xp

Hey all!

Initial chat now and I’ll engage fully tonight after I’ve returned the daughter home again.

I’m sure I’ve No idea what song you were playing when you came up with the title. I guess I’ll just have to live with your disappointment ??

My pledge this week will be continue working on these guys:

1B039169-5BFE-46C4-8378-A5C31D1C4D38

Also Monday night is supposed to be DnD night, but I’ve got a work training thing on which will include dinner afterwards. I reckon I’ll ditch dinner for DnD, since it was cancelled last session due to others unable to attend.

Album Purchasing:

I’d have to hear a track or two first. It used be I’d hear it on the radio, a compilation album or a movie soundtrack. Rage, an Australian TV institution!, was always good for that too. Then you’d get to see the video clip for it. Very occasionally a friend would have “good” taste in music.

In any case, I’d hear the song, like it on the first listen and go find the album it came from. Well, I say album, I mean CD.

The one time I based my purchase purely in album art, it turned out to be Christian Rock. Ugh…

Time Machine:

If I was going to go time travelling… it would have to be a Time Travel Tiki Tour: a sight seeing tour throughout time to major events and situations. See the true battle of 300 at Thermopylae, witness the wonder of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon and the Library of Alexandria. Zip to the future and see what marvels future technology can render.

3 Pics to brighten your day?

871B394F-3F3B-40F2-AD98-28F95E86D441

A fishing session, that’s my little girl. We didn’t catch anything. ?

AE6E7630-4FEF-4BAD-89FB-08146F79F21B

Blacksmiths Beach,  near Newcastle.

B89CCB8C-4EEE-4423-B9DF-96E390646EA8

A possum family that came visiting.

unclejimmy
    9225xp

@tuffyears – did you have to ruin my daydream? Now i’ll have to start again…100pts. Then again, stick a wash of Chestnut W&N ink over them and you are on the way.

@rayzryr – I almost got it right without looking! Give me a few more weeks. When I see your avatar it reminds me of Mowgli. He used to like sleeping on the kitchen porch roof…

mowgli sunning himself on the roof

Normally you would be shot at this point, but you have way more important things going on. Had a good weekend? 500pts.

I don’t joke about these things either…we have a Militia!

IMG_6015

Well, at least you answered my question. Sometimes I think I write invisible questions. HAL was just picking songs he likes and as I needed to write a title he started playing ‘C30, C60, C90, Go!’ by Bow Wow Wow. If you have never heard of them you missed nothing. I just like that song. They were an early M.McLaren plastic band. McLaren almost ended-up in the jail because of them…there was pictures of the band/lead singer and you could see some boob/nipple. No big deal, but it turned out the singer was 15!

I really like the look of the unit. 200pts. Any chance of some close-ups? What is the big thing on the shelf behind…looks nasty?

Never played D&D. Dave is massive into AD&D/D&D, but it is just not for me. Not a ‘fantasy’ person. I used to play Runequest 35 years ago when I first started, but the guy who got me started with games didn’t play it. Runequest and Traveller were his things.

Hearing tracks was never that important for me. I was always willing to spend £5 if something looked interesting. Song titles also tempt me. I have almost zero ‘vices’ other than Jaffa cakes and toy soldiers so it doesn’t seem too much of a problem. I am also not a total fool who has to buy coffee (10 times a day) while walking about. Who would leave there home and spend £4 for a cup of hot milk to then have to walk about drinking it. Coffee shops are even worse. You might drink their coffee, but they are drinking your soul. It is just coffee.

Christian rock…even the name sounds wrong! There was a Christan band called Stryper and they would throw small bibles into the crowd. They stopped in case they injured anyone! Not very rock ‘n’ roll is it?

So, a time travel tour is not answering the question. In the old days I would have given you a blast of compressed air in the ear for that! However, I can get the tour, but I think you are just playing to the crowd. I know what you would be doing…all the dirty stuff. I’ll come with you as an advisor. No charge. Seeing how these monumental events really happened would be a giggle. The crucifixion/resurrection, Rourke’s Drift, Marilyn’s death/murder, on the grassy knoll, or the gulf of Mexico meteor.

Picture 1 = 1000pts. These are the ones! No Salties are there?

Picture 2 = a bit brighter than my Newcastle! Not where I was brought up though. We were only five miles from the town centre, but where we lived was nine streets in the middle of the woods. It looks stunning. I love the smell of the sea. The sound is wonderful too.

Picture 3 = so cute! My cats would be going proper Happy Mondays! They don’t come into the house do they? It is bad enough when we have a birds nest in the garden. Do you get big spiders? Not those Huntsman spiders…they give me the fear. Can you eat them?

When I was living in Sheffield if I left the kitchen door open at night then sometimes the foxes would come in and scoff the cat food. We also had a family of Owls that would land in the back garden at night. There are only two animals in the UK I have not seen in the wild: Otters and Wolves. I know we have pretty tame ‘wild animals’ compared to down under or the USA/Canada, but at least most of them are safe!

woldenspoons
    Participant
    3557xp

I’ve forgotten the questions already. But I shall persevere. I don’t buy music now, I have an Apple Music account so I use the radio station thing to find new music. I’m always astonished when I find a band I like has released new music. Granted I’d be frankly spooked if Nirvana or Soundgarden released something new.

I’d travel back to the 90s and give myself a right kick up the arse. I’d thank me for it. My exam results weren’t terrible but I was capable of so much better. Then to make a real decision on college and then university while having the impetus to put the work in there.

IMG_20190806_173258

IMG_20180803_211729IMG_20190608_090042

Now following all that natural beauty some music. I believe somebody mentioned Taylor Swift?

Anonymous
    0xp

@unclejimmy I forgot to say I have some thinners in the shed that should work ok with oil paints.  I sort of plan to use them for washes and weathering on scenery  just to try something different.  The slow drying time should be a benefit.    Firm believer in having as many tools in the box as possible, not just relying on one big tool!

Anyway, good to see @woldenspoons and @rayzryr and I’m off to paint more Nurgle!

rayzryr
    Participant
    20833xp

Back from Daughter Delivery Duty and dinner is done and dusted, time to reply!

@sundancer How very metal. 10 years ago was only 2009 though, so not exactly fashion of the time 😀 Very cool, though.
    I’m kind of with you on the time travel thing: right now, I’d not go anywhere. Got my daughter, life is mostly good.

@robert impressive work on the tanks mate. Happy Birthday fella! Nice cake 😀
    I’m really keen to see how you translate that inspiration pic of the tank camo into miniature form!

@limburger only one album per artist?!? Nah, get them all! Filter down to what it best from each album (and I don’t just mean the singles) and curate your own “best of”. That’s what makes it onto my daily digital listen.
    Cool UFO! What is it?

@unclejimmy great work on the terrain. For use in Infinity, or all-round gaming terrain? Ah Force-on-Force. Cool.
    I’d not heard of Astroneer. Then again I don’t keep up that much with games other than what my daughter wants to play. (The exceptions are The Witcher and Cyberpunk 2077)
    It looks like a space age Minecraft?

Happy Birthday to you too!
    That Ratnick is a beast. I can’t wait to see how your Muls turn out.

@ceppie Thanks for the Traveller info you gave me last week. I’ve passed it on to Steve to look at. Should be interesting!

@unclejimmy shot by this point? I’d bleed and still participate! Also I’ve a bloody cold that kicked in last night, but I’ll be over it in time to go back to work on Tuesday.
    I have heard of Bow Wow Wow, but not heard them. Maybe I’ve heard one song? *shrug*
    I will oblige with close ups soon. Also have a look at my project if you want https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1392517/
    The gribly is a Nurgle thing. I think it’s quite cute actually! I was never a Nurgle fan, these are the first units I’ve ever painted for that guy.
    What surprises me is that I’m really enjoying these minis and the results!

The cover of the Christian rock album made me think it would be something Nine Inch Nails like… ehh, nope.
    Safety conscious rockers Not very rock’n’roll of them at all.

A time travel tour may not be a legitimate answer to the question, haha! But right now, the honest truth is that I wouldn’t leave the here and now for very much. Before my daughter was born I would’ve said the distant future. See if mankind survived, or even better: Evolved! Travel the stars, get beyond our solar system? That’s what I would’ve wanted to know. But if I can’t come back then I’m not going. Not right now anyway.
    I read Eon by Greg Bear many years ago. That’s the sort of thing. Travel into the future, or between dimensions, but there’s no coming back.
    Of course, if there is a time travel tour: you’ve got it exactly, that’s the kind of stuff! But maybe some less well known stuff too. What really happened when Cook landed in Sydney? Spend a week with ancient Greek philosophers too.

The water in the fishing photo is quite warm… its actually the outfall from a coal-fired power plant. The day we were there I saw a guy throw a line in and pull a fish out not 10 seconds later, no joke. Current health advice is not to eat more than 3 fish per week from the lake beyond. There’s always people down there throwing a line in. Except for a couple of months of the year during dark hours when the area is protected as a fish nursery. Also get sea turtles swimming in.
    The smell of the sea is always refreshing.

Those possums are definitely Not allowed in. We love to have them around, but they’ve got a bite. If possum lycanthropy was a thing, I’d be getting a bushy tail every full moon. They’re omnivores, but prefer fruit and veg. They destroy virtually any plant my parents put on the deck. Old Mamma possum would come to the door to get banana. She had no fear of humans, and would let you pat her (carefully) while she was eating. The younger possums are skittish and wont stay when they get their food.
    Oh yes of course we get the spiders! All kinds. You’d think most Aussies would be over it, but so many have the fear as well. My parents always let them be, unless they were a dangerous kind. “They eat the flies and Mozzies” So I learned to live with them. I’ve not eaten them, though one probably could. I’m not sure if the indigenous people did, I’ll have to go find out…

@woldenspoons which one of those furry creatures is you? 😛

Off to do some painting now, see ya in a bit!

woldenspoons
    Participant
    3557xp

@rayzryr I’m Taylor swift

limburger
    21535xp
    Cult of Games Member

@rayzryr I’ve broken that ‘one album’ rule decades ago. I’ve got a lot of cd’s of Rammstein (non of their life recordings) for example. Didn’t buy their latest, because these days I listen to things on Spotify.
    The lack of places that actually sell CD’s isn’t helping either.

The one dedicated music store I know has less space to sell music and isn’t even Eindhoven … so even if I wanted to I couldn’t buy a music CD that isn’t crappy top 40 pop music.

That UFO used to be a museum for technology (in the 70’s).

ceppie
    Participant
    1973xp

Good Morning All!

Busy day at the store yesterday! I had 15 noobs waiting for me, filled all 30 seats, and had to commandeer one of the gaming tables for a few late arrivals. The down side of something like that is that it is hard to keep track of all my stuff. I lost two Army Painter dry brushes and a few pots of Citadel paint. The store has started providing brushes, paint, and washes, so I may start leaving my stuff at home.

Needless to say, I had zero opportunity to work on my own mini’s, but did get a few baubles as compensation: I always wanted a pair of these:

IMG_0790

These came out when GW were at their absolute lowest. Funny how they could still put out the occasional quality kit in the midst of all that Kirby nonsense.

Also got one of these. He will be one of the platoon sergeants in my alien organization. I’ll have a second one waiting next time I teach at the store.  Nice, but not thirty bucks nice! I’d never buy one.

IMG_0795 (2)

Vi has also been feeding my plastic crack habit. On my birthday she gave me the big Privateer Press bag, which I use for conventions and store gigs. Then, for our anniversary she gave me a smaller bag for when I meet with my painting group. It’s just big enough to hold paint and mini’s for one project, along with a few beer or a flask.

IMG_0792

We’re leaving this morning so we don’t have to hear the sound of an air nailer and compressor. Yes, they’re still working on the roof. I’ll get caught up later this afternoon.

Enjoy the day everyone!

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

@limburger  I’m so happy that my local big electronics chain has soooo many different CDs and even LPs… physical music media for the win!

Anonymous
    0xp

325213A2-B5A6-44DE-8E63-5FDA6B2DA1FB

My vinyl and current set up.   Need more space and to sort them into alphabetical order.

limburger
    21535xp
    Cult of Games Member

The local big electronics store (Mediamarkt) used to have a really big selection too, but these days it’s next to useless.
    Definitely nothing like it used to be.

I don’t understand this modern obsession with LP’s though.
    While I do appreciate the fact that those sleeves allow the album art to shine the downside (degrading audio quality, no shuffle) simply aren’t worth it to me. It’s pretty much why I skipped vinyl and went straight to CD …

Meanwhile a bit of hobby.
    I decided I didn’t like the pose of the Nob I wanted as the leader of the pack.
    He’s a bit armless now as I re-adjust his right arm to something a little more point&shooty aka proper Orky.

armless_nob

Looking at the sprues for the Ork boyz they appear to be smaller than the Nobz, which makes sense.
    However as one of the options is to have a Nob as their leader it doesn’t quite look right.
    So I may have to buy more Orkz to get something a bit more Nob-like.

Anonymous
    0xp

I don’t understand the need to shuffle music, the artist has put the songs in the order for a reason, so why not listen to them in the order they were meant to be played.  Different horses for different courses.

Anyway, I’ve probably put about 3 hours into this thing alone today…

IMG_2142

unclejimmy
    9225xp

@woldenspoons – your creatures are awesome! No names? I love the ‘triangle’ on the cats nose! 200pts. Rover seems to be giving you the look.

If you want new Soundgarden/Nirvana songs we could always hold a seance. No joking. There was that guy who ‘met a time-traveller from the future’ and while they were chatting he was listening to “Everyday Chemistry” by the Beatles. It’s a future/alternate timeline/total delusion album that nonbody has ever heard. You can download it too!

Have you ever seen the Comic Strip episode, ‘More Bad News!”? The lead singer had become “metaphysical” and been speaking to some interesting people from recent rock history. They never give him any full songs – the closest was one that John gave him. John Lennon. It’s a song about a girl called ‘Imogen’.

I did make some radio shows for the game ‘2.Hospital’, but that was just for fun.

Everytime I pass a second-hand shop, record shop (you can stil find them in strange places…I found one in Matlock Bath), or car boot sale without looking at records or CD’s. I suppose it is just habit. Even if I got rid of all my physical collection I would keep my special items – autographed stuff and unreleased things. I have also got loads of digital music. It is one of the ‘modern’ things that I do like.

I would also have confronted my younger self and after giving myself a slap told me not to join up. I would tell me all the bullshit they don’t tell you and that all the recruiting stuff that looks cool is a lie. It is a total waste of ‘resources’ to be young.

You don’t listen to anything because you know it all and you make the most amazing mistakes – just because you didn’t think or listen. You have all the youth, but none of the brains. Maybe that is the thing…my brain in my 18 year-old body would be a thing to behold!

The middle picture looks like Scarborough a little bit. If that is where you live then you are so lucky. 500pts. When I am not at home I stay just off the banks of Loch Fyne which is an open sea Loch. Tides rule.

No, I said she had nice hands! Terrible music. 100pts.

As for the Dead 13…once more with feeling! I give them a C+ for effort, but the ‘look’ is not working for me.

No, you are supposed to be Sparticus! That’s why I like that film. I still don’t know who the real Sparticus was and that is what makes it a great whodunnit.

@robert – Dave does washes with oils for streaks and such on his Titans. I am sure he uses Turps. Either that or he drinks it!

As you are a “Firm believer in having as many tools in the box as possible, not just relying on one big tool!”, I wonder where you buy you undies from?

@rayzryr – those building are for modern games. I use a set of rules called Force-on-Force. They are some of the best rules I have ever played.

Astroneer, or Astroqueer as Jamie calls it when he sees my playing it, was early access on Steam and came up as I play a rocket building game called KSP. It is an exploration game which is a lot more difficult that it looks. You don’t have to manage food or stuff like that, but you have to keep an air supply! You have to find resources to convert…usual stuff, but you get to explore the entire system and it is a pain in the onions. I liked the ‘look’ of the game and who doesn’t like a bit of terraforming?

I am not a video gamer either. Jamie likes Red Dead, Rainbow 6 Siege. and For Honour, but plays them on a PS4. I used to be a big Battlefield player, but not any more. However, I discovered Steam and it rules. You just buy and it does everything else, click a button and you are off. No configuring either.

I was just about to spray those minis before I started this reply. Eve dropped off the Puggies while she took Heather to buy a chair – so I have been Pugging all afternoon. Just don’t tell Eve they have had pork scratchings!

Isn’t that always the case will colds? Fit in time for work – that is no use. I won’t recommend a stroke as it might get you a bit longer off. However, it worked for me!

My cure is sleep and sweat.

BWW did have a couple of chart songs during the 80’s The one I remember being popular was “I Want Candy” and i’m sure it is used on an advert.

I was a massive Chaos player a while ago. Just over 16000pts at one point! Mostly Chaos-Undivided, but I had lots of Nurgle units. The looked the part back then (pre-2012). I am sure that 8 of my Defilers were dedicated to Nurgle. I never built anything from the box. The good old days.

NIN – I am sure the Romans used a similar size! 500pts. Jesus was rich until the Romans hammered him with Tax. Boom-boom.

We have little hope of evolving. I have never been an evolutionary theorist, more into the idea of a punctuated equilibrium at work, but we are devolving if anything. The majority of civilisation couldn’t survive their phine battery going flat never mind in a survival situation. No, we are pretty doomed as a species unless there is some huge, global, “something” which would unite us. The UN had plans for a fake alien invasion in the 1950’s, Ronald Reagan even talked about it in a speech, but unless it was something equally as massive we have buckley’s chance.

I have seen what people can do to each other. All joking to the side, I have seen things that would give most peoples ‘fears’ a dose of the shits. The fact that one human can do such things to another, usually based on nothing more than a notion, convinced me that there is little hope out there. That is why I sit and play with toy soldiers and fall asleep on my wife’s lap.

During the past 20 years I have seen almost nothing to change my mind. It sounds really silly, but I taught my children how to handle themselves as soon as they understood why. If you had stuck one in the middle of nowhere they would have been ok for a week. They know how to navigate by the stars and to catch/find food and water. They really enjoyed doing all that stuff when they were growing up.

No, there will be a flash and a mushroom cloud in the distance and two aboriginal in the Outback will look at each other and one will say, “There goes them stipid white-fellas again.” Then it can try again.

I might be tempted to go back to October 27th 1988 and meet Heather all over again! Spending a week with the Greek thinkers would not be a good idea…remember, they invented ‘it’! 100pts.

Fishing up in Scotland is like that. You wait until the tide changes, row out about 500m, and you can watch the fish coming towards you. Put your line with 5-6 hooks on in the water and lower it a bit, pull-pull-pull, and you have a dozen Mackerel in your barrel. My dads Uncle Tommy would row us out, catch 3 fish, stun-behead-gut, and have it in the small frying pan he kept at the back of the boat before it’s tail had stopped flapping. Beat that for fresh.

The first time I saw this I was semi-horrified. However, it tasted like nothing I had tasted before and I am not really a ‘fish’ eater.

Don’t sea Turtle bite? Were-possum – 1000pts. I want one!

I am sure black-fellas eat almost anything? I do know you can eat Crucifix spiders.

I would love to hang-out with some like Phil and his dad did. When I could still ride my bike I always thought a ride across Australia would be a good adventure. It would, but you would need a while! John has some relatives down your way. This will be wrong…Cotterslaw Beach sounds like it? He live there for a year when he was 10. His cousin was a train driver and used to be on those massive cargo trains that take three-weeks to get to where they are going. I could do that.

Thai’s like to barbie spiders! I would starve for a while first. Maybe try a few of my toes…

I don’t mind creep-crawlies if I am outside, but they freak me out indoors. No idea why. I did get a bit nervous when I went to Belize, but nothing got me!

@ceppie – 15 noobs filled 30 seats. They must have big bottoms! By ‘lost’ do you mean someone stole them? That is lower than whale shit.

Nice bag. Vi rules. 200pts. We need proper cases for our Infinity minis. I fancy trying the Kaiser-Rushforth ones.

Jamie says that Tau is stunning. It is rather good. 50pts.

@robert – I like your set-up. I had stuff like that before I decided it just wasn’t needed. If you had gone back in time and told me that I would have had you sectioned.

@limburger – vinyl is an age thing. Other than cassette that was all ther was until CD’s appeared when I was 16ish. I spent my youth collecting music so it is just a memory lane thing. I still remember my first vinyl purchase: 7″ ‘Doctor, Doctor’ by UFO on clear vinly. The B-side was a live version of ‘Only you can rock me’. Not bad for 75p.

Nice Ork! 100pts.

unclejimmy
    9225xp

@robert – you are right about that, they spend ages working out what goes where…unless it is a prog album. The album ‘Brave’ is 40 minutes long and really one song, but the bit of silence at the end is really the recording of a sunrise! It would have been pointless at the beginning.

Sleeve notes rule.

unclejimmy
    9225xp

Any chance I can play now? I keep finding stuff I forgot I had. I found this guy…

IMG_20190818_204901_HDR

I forget his name, but he is some Russian SotTR tank commander special character. Just inked him up. I might paint him just for fun. I would play SotTR again, but I just don’t have the time at the minute. Pity, as it is a great game and brilliant background.

The same company make some awesome FoW scale vehicles if you are looking for something different.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 122 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)