Skip to toolbar

Hobby pledges for 2019

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Hobby pledges for 2019

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 117 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  danlee 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 118 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42608xp
    Cult of Games Member

@lawnor you should have known better 😉

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

I thought perhaps that even Warren had some boundaries.  I guess I was wrong.

onlyonepinman
    18053xp
    Cult of Games Member

So.  Today is the last day of March and deadline day for my personal challenge of being able to produce a themed 8′ x 4′ board.  By themed I mean more than just a collection of random, line of sight blocking items.  This is the total completed output from 2019 so far.  The fantasy ruins aren’t actually planned as part of the themed board however as I had the jigsaw out I decided to base them while I was doing stuff for the rocks.  However I suspect that by doing this I will actually be able to make an 8’x4′ fantasy board as well as a sci fi one, which is a nice bonus for not a lot of extra effort

DSC_0729-1896x2528DSC_0730-1896x2528DSC_0731-2528x1896DSC_0732-2528x1896DSC_0733-2528x1896DSC_0737-1896x2528DSC_0739-1896x2528

onlyonepinman
    18053xp
    Cult of Games Member

And here’s the stuff I built but didn’t manage to paint. Yet.

DSC_0746-2528x1896

onlyonepinman
    18053xp
    Cult of Games Member

And this is the pile of humiliation*:

DSC_0746-2528x1896-1264x948

Not bad considering at the start of the year it included all the TTCombat MDF buildings as well as a bag of expanded foam “splats” that needed carving into rock formations. The PlastCraft infinity scenery is my next project.

*we have two piles in our house. A pile of shame, that all of us have; that large collection of unpainted models and miniatures. The second is the pile of humiliation, which is piles of models we haven’t even opened the boxes.

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

Most people have piles at one time or another.  The important thing is to not let them become too big of a problem.  Don’t be too embarrassed to seek help if you need it.

onlyonepinman
    18053xp
    Cult of Games Member

It’s more about inspiration. I had all that scenery and no idea what to do with it. That’s changed since I built the Prometheum Rig – that project has been a massive eye opener. I now have ideas for nearly everything still in the pile. My next big project is the Plast Craft boxes, I’m going to build a walled garden and have started buying supplies. What I really want to be able to do is to set up a sci-fi desert town/city, a collection of buildings that could work equally well in a variety of game settings.

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

If you’re going desert town I’d look for options to make it modular for wild west and perhaps post apocalypse.  I wonder how much can be changed by swapping out shop signs and the odd bit of scatter?  I’ve not had opportunity to throw myself in to terrain or tables yet.  I don’t have the space to store it all, and I mostly play Warmachine, which doesn’t play well with fancy or narrative terrain set ups.  Every time I see those TTCombat con bundles I am tempted though.  If I ever see them doing a great deal on a docklands bundle (Crane, crates, buildings and a ship etc) I can see myself caving.  I think I could build a table from that lot that would be acceptable in scifi, modern, ww2 and who knows what else.  The basics of a dockyard surely remain mostly the same wherever or whenever you are.

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

I started and finished 4 units this weekend.  Never thought I’d be able to say that, but these guys painted themselves pretty much. (Project log: https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1298961/#snav)

hell hounds alt

Alt Sculpt Hell Hounds Unit

hell hounds

2x Hell Hounds Units

hell warriors

Hell Warrior Unit

onlyonepinman
    18053xp
    Cult of Games Member

Oooh, mythic battles. I’m waiting for mine. I have the basic God Pledge but I went back for everything else on 1.5. They’re such nice models.

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’m really liking them.  The models are amazing for board game pieces.  The sculpts are mostly great, but the joins could use a little work in some places.  The issue there is that as prebuilds they can be hard to do any modelling work as limbs and bases etc can be in the way.  I’d love to be able to remove the odd piece (like the bases) to paint them easier or better, but thats usually not an optionj.  I’m going to have to cut the spiders off their bases in order to decorate their bases.  Otherwise they will get buried. But yes, awesome stuff and I’m loving the boxes I have, even if I’m not playing the game.

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

I finished one or two more Mythic Battles models for my project, completing another chunk of my Pledge

Spiders

Giant Spiders (1/3rd the size of the real one in my staff room right now)

Achillies

Achilles

hades

Hades

Cerberus

Cerberus

Hoplites

5x Hoplites

Odysseus

Odysseus

phoenix

Phoenix

beardragon14
    7474xp
    Cult of Games Member

Nice work @lawnor . I love the job you did on Cerebus’ skin . Very effective mate.

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

Thank you.  I got a bit scared with him.  I let the paint dry for plenty long enough before applying the wash and yet it still reactivated the paint.  This has happened a couple of times.  Makes me wonder if GW have tweaked the recipes with their Nuln Oil and Agrax.  I might be using their gloss versions at the moment too due to my flgs running out of the regular stuff.  Perhaps that’s it, although I don’t think the Nuln is gloss.

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

I finished my Khorne Soul Grinder and Bloodthirster for my Spring Cleaning Project over here.  Click the link for more pics.  Can you spot which part on each is made of green stuff?  That’s one step closer to my Pledge.

sg13

bt

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 118 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)