Skip to toolbar

Hobby Weekender 22/11/19 – *Insert coin to continue*

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Hobby Weekender 22/11/19 – *Insert coin to continue*

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 56 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author

oriskany
    60737xp
    Cult of Games Member

Some replies:

@warzan – glow in the dark terrain?  Are you getting ready to build a Chernobyl table? 🙂  Seriously, though, the color gradients looks really smooth.

@robert – holy hell fourteen more SPRUES of zombies?  I guess that’s the kind of armies where numbers count.  I like the square bases, always a must for ranked-up armies.  And damn, gotta respect a guy who bleeds that much for his craft!  I also like the dwarfs and especially the skeleton rat-dogs later in the thread.

@sathrin – amazing work so far on the rider figure, what a lot of detail, even on the base.  I’m assuming the poor girl will find her head soon!  😀  A cavalry hero / unit commander?

@commodorerob@warzan@brucelea@buggeroff – man, D&D isn’t really my thing but I would have love dto have been there just to hang out.  I’m sure you guys all had a blast.  We run RPGs on the weekends over the ‘net, but nothing beats gathering around a table for RPGs.

@shredhead – epic diorama!

@sundancer – thanks. 😀  But there’s a little more than priming done in those pics (tracks, wheels in two colors, mud spatter along undercarriages, darkwashing … twice after I screwed it up the first time).  Lots more done since then, I’ll have to post new pics up soon.

sundancer
    42605xp
    Cult of Games Member

@limburger no, the belly already got sand colour (thought hard to see on the pictures) and the green will get some more different greens

@horati0nosebl0wer nice to see you around 🙂

@oriskany maybe embrace the Ford way of doing it and make a real assembly line 😉

buggeroff
    15183xp
    Cult of Games Member

1. How did you get into the hobby

Space Hulk version 1

2. Are we nearly there yet

Nope, not even close

3. whats the air speed velocity of a swallow

laden or unladen

buggeroff
    15183xp
    Cult of Games Member

@oriskany now don’t be under the illusion we’re real D&D players (well Tony is and so it Stephen  – recently joined)  the rest of the group are alcoholic, havoc causing miscreants. 3 psychotic Barbarians (1 more than the others btw, we all know who that is…. @warzan) one thieving git dwarf just replaced with a very nice helpful and considerate dwarf @tony. One really annoying and poncy elf bard keep trying to get him killed but it hasn’t worked yet….. @brucelea and a useless half orc rogue that complains all the time, he’s not on OTT so can slag him off as much as a I want ;D

buggeroff
    15183xp
    Cult of Games Member

sorry forgot, Happy Thanks Giving to yourself and Jen 🙂

oriskany
    60737xp
    Cult of Games Member

Thanks for the holiday wishes, @buggeroff! 😀 Sounds like you guys have a great group going!

We run RPGs every other week or so … HK Ops, Modern Military, presently running a private military contractor crew (to give players more leeway in creating / playing characters).

Phalanx Multinational
    The Decisive Choice
    Offices: Alexanria, VA – Edinburgh, UK
    Escalation Team (X-Team) 619:

• Annika Visser (callsign “Taaki”) – Former South African Special Tactics and Rescue (@gladesrunner)
    • Jackson Hyatt (callsign “Ajax”) – Former US Army reconnaissance (@brunhudson)
    • Donovan Mach (callsign “Templar”) – American-Israeli Structural Engineer, Freedom Fighter (@templar007)
    • Frederik Ottesen (callsign “Sirius”) – Former Greenland/Danish Navy, Arctic Warfare Expert (@rasmus)

Our latest mission:

Title Card 10a

A North Korean electronic warfare / surveillance aircraft is reported to have gone down somewhere in the Sea of Okhotsk.
    The aircraft is believed to have crashed at Kimura Shima Island (Katyeva Island – marked on map below).
    This island lies between the Kuril Islands and the Sakhalin Islands, disputed between Japan and Soviet Union since 1945. Thus, the territorial status of Kimura Shima Island remains unclear. Officially, “Katyeva” Island is part of the Russian Federation, although again, status is debated. The primary reason this matter has never been cleared up is frankly, the islands are tiny (10 square miles / 6000 acres at most ) and desolate. Honestly, no one cares.

The Japanese Self-Defense Force has contacted Phalanx International regarding a mission to recover the North Korean aircraft (codename Cheonji, Korean God of the Sky). Objectives are to recover the plane’s black box, comnav recordings (so intelligence can surmise where this place was flying and who/what it was spying on).

Most importantly, recover any uplink between Cheonji’s doppler look-down shoot-down radar and whatever satellite (if any). This is because North Korea has no satellites of their own, so if they’re using a satellite uplink for electronic warfare, navigation, or aerial surveillance, another nation is helping them expand maritime surveillance and control through North Pacific.

JSDF has provided a staging point and a small boat. But they cannot be connected further with this mission. If they are connected with a paramilitary mission onto Katyeva Island, that could constitute and act of war with the Russian Federation.

Here is the general position of Kimura Shima Island and the site of our mission.

An overview of the Kimura Shima Islands. X-Team 619 approached in a heavy storm with high seas, suffering damage to their boat that stranded them on this island until they could effect repair and find more fuel. None of these labels were in pace, the group had to search the island and investigate what was actually happening here.

We get to where the North Korean EW craft crashed. We see where Sirius, Templar, and Ajax (characters run by Rasmus, Templar007, and Brun) are approaching from the south, while we have Taaki (Jenn) on the crippled, low-fuel boat approaching along the east edge. A North Korean Navy patrol boat (twin 20mm cannon) lies at anchor to the north. The North Koreans have found this crash site, and have established a perimeter around it.

Sirius (Rasmus) and his K9 “Bubblegum” take out the first North Korean soldier at this hunting lodge in the extreme southwest corner of the map. The roof of this building, positioned on high ground, will give Rasmus the best available sniping position.

In the center, Templar and Ajax move against another pair of North Koreans. Ajjax and his new “friend” Piotr (one of three Russian Federation special forces encountered on this island, also with orders to recover the Cheonji’s electronics and eject any North Koreans from this Russian Island) go for stealth kills with fighting knives. Templar covers while Ajjax and Piotr make their approach. Russian Federation specops: Captain Nikolai Koslovski — Senior Sergeant Tanja Lavachenko — Corproral Piotr Shazhnikov.

In a dry suit (this is the North Pacific in February 2020), Taaki (Jenn) scuba-stealth swims her way up to the side of the North Korean boat while Captain Koslovski and SSgt Lavachenko put grenade launchers and AK-92 fire into the boat’s forward sections.

The firefight really heats up in the center. Ajax and Piotr have a great deal of trouble with that North Korean to the left. In fact, Piotr is badly hit. It’s up to Templar to finish him off, along with another trooper to the north. Sniper cover from Sirius comes in from the southwest.

Taaki (Jenn) is now aboard the boat. Three crew are down, one remains badly hit. Taaki is hit, but chooses to continue bleeding (delaying first aid on herself) until she finally puts down the last crewman. She’s having a tough time of it (wound penalties) until Sirius, from all the way across the table, put s a silenced .308 sniper found OVER her shoulder, through the door, and into the last target on the boat. Ab absurdly difficult shot, which Sirius made just barely with the expenditure of one of his “Grit” (optional willpower) points.

limburger
    21537xp
    Cult of Games Member

@buggeroff alcoholic thieving miscreants ?
    Sounds like a regular D&D party 😉

Any chance of a blog of your adventures ?
    I wonder if it can compares to the adventures of the crew on this blog :

https://therpgpundit.blogspot.com/2019/08/dcc-campaign-updatethe-passion-of-lenny.html

@sundancer a sandy belly ? Cool
    Did you look at pictures of a komodo dragon ?
    Dewbacks look like a fat version of that …

Keep up the good work @oriskany
    It’s weird and awesome how the hobby experience changes when there’s a personal connection to a battle or an army.
    I’d imagine that those vehicles and units stop being bits of plastic and metal and sort of become relics of your own past.

oriskany
    60737xp
    Cult of Games Member

Very true, @limburger.  I won’t lie, I’m putting a lot more work into these guys than I normally do for a 15mm force.

tuffyears
    23171xp
    Cult of Games Member

And so it’s Thursday evening and normal service will should be resumed tomorrow. Sorry I have not been able to reply to any of the the comments. As I have not been well this week. Tractor 5  signing out for the week

tuffyears

sundancer
    42605xp
    Cult of Games Member

@limburger no, not really but it was somehow in my brain…

Late to the entry as I have a forced holiday break.

1. I started my hobbying way back in the days of Mordheim. I miss that game as it tried to be WHFB Necromunda.
    2. We might be coming close to just about not quite there yet.
    3. The air speed velocity of a swallow is wholly dependent on whether or not a Mekboy has gotten his hands on it or Speedfreekz painting it red. As of yet we have not seen any painted purple but don’t put it past kommandos for lighting fast intel and their tricky use of “taktiks”

My plesge is to get secret work proceeded and get to the next thread asap.

@sundancer *wave* I’m still around.. just a little overcome by work

sundancer
    42605xp
    Cult of Games Member

@horati0nosebl0wer as we all are sometimes.

It’s Friday! New thread this way here please:

[unofficiall weekender] It's Black Friday – hide your wallets!

(Can’t let it slip twice in a row!)

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)