Skip to toolbar

[unofficiall weekender] It's Black Friday – hide your wallets!

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficiall weekender] It's Black Friday – hide your wallets!

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 36 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42621xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy & paste ###

Read all of this before you start as it will save any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

### End of shameless copy & paste ###

Questions of the week:

1. How much have you already spend on hobby related Black Friday/week sales?
    2. How much more will you spend on this dreaded sales “event”
    3. Are you really thinking of buying more tiny fighting men and monsters and games and terrain although your POS is already *that* big?

Bonus question: Why is there a burning hole in my wallet?

Foist!!! Damn I need to go to bed now

I pledge to get my Giftmas minis in the post by next weekend. If I do not I will not touch any other minis or peruse any fun mini related sites (other than this) for a week.

1. I’ve spent about $21 on a single figure from Signum Games
    2. I am going to spend little to nothing more as I’ve pushed myself on saving something for when I’m short on cash. So far little rewards work.
    3. My Hoard of Shame is not *that big*. We all know its the quality and not the quantity of the collection. It just sucks that quality keeps going up in the industry. That’s why my Gift Cannon has ample ammunition for only a little while longer. Remember, Pay It Forward is coming.

ced1106
    Participant
    6212xp

1. Miniature Market’s sale, and a Privateer Press Mystery Box. Have the odd feeling that after looking at the contents of the Mystery Box, I might as well have bought random PP miniatures from MM.

2. FLGS has a BF sale, as well as a craft store chain. Support your local hobby!

3. Too late! I think the MM purchase alone of $40 will get me 50-some mini’s to paint.

EDIT: Needed some body spray and printer ink. Ended up buying three games I’ll never play and some flavored coffee. Oh, and I just backed SJG’s Car Wars. 😛

EDIT: Dakka has a BF thread. Four pages of miniature goodness! : https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/782364.page

sundancer
    42621xp
    Cult of Games Member

My answers:

1. 0 Euro… at least as far as I am aware… haven’t checked my credit card.
    2. will try to avoid going on a spending spree
    3. yes…. on a regular basis, regardless if there are sales or not…

@ced1106 moneyz trying to escape…

torros
    23802xp
    Cult of Games Member

Hello folks

My pledge is to buy stuff. 28mm Iberians. Being from Old glory they might take a while to arrive

As for the questions

1.£0  and apart from the above purchase it will remain as such

2. See answer one

3. I’m quite disciplined about what I buy . I went through the POS about 20 years ago and sold everything I didnt want. My collection  is quite small now and only buy what I need

Bonus question: is that like money  burning a hole in my pocket?. I never seem to have enough for that to happen

sundancer
    42621xp
    Cult of Games Member

My collection is quite small now and only buy what I need

Is it possible to learn these powers?! Are you even human?!

torros
    23802xp
    Cult of Games Member

Is it possible to learn these powers?! Are you even human?!

When you are ready all will be revealed

Anonymous
    0xp

Pledge
    Build more KoWs models and sort all the stuff I found yesterday.  I may or may not go see Gerry and Torros at a thing in Belfast tomorrow to see some Clash of Speers action – currently looking unlikely though.

Questions
    1. I bought Mortal Gods and some Spartans, then added some more Footsore Normans to get more value from the postage costs… so the grand total was £69 dude…..

2. Probably nothing more.  The Greeks are for Clash of Spears and Mortal Gods Mythic is coming soon and it really appeals to me having watched so many movies with Cyclops and Hydras when I was less bald and less grey.

3. You call it a Pile of Shame, I call it a Mountain of Magnificence and Marvel.  Being a member of the UMA should be a badge of honour, up there with MBE, OBE etc,  (UMA – Unpainted Minis Army, Gerry is our leader).

And to remember Thanksgiving some music

limburger
    21550xp
    Cult of Games Member

It’s the *wheeeee* kender … 😀

I gots incoming stuff : Cthulluh Death May Die … I did not the really big Cthulluh maxi mini statue thing, because it didn’t look interesting enough for the amount of money and playtime it offered. That’s about 10 Kg of cardboard,plastic and bags of air or bubble wrap.

1) How much have you already spend on hobby related Black Friday/week sales?

Nothing yet, but Gametee had a Mystery Art Tube that looked interesting until I discovered it was sold out already. 🙁

2) How much more will you spend on this dreaded sales “event”

Not planning anything. I hope I can avoid the shops as well, because seeing everything advertised in English makes zero sense.

3) Are you really thinking of buying more tiny fighting men and monsters and games and terrain although your POS is already *that* big?

As @robertini already said : I’m not ashamed of my mountain of unpainted plastic and metal. The only thing I want is more space to store it.

Bonus question) Why is there a burning hole in my wallet?
    ’cause the voices in your head made you do it …

I don’t get that ‘black friday’ thing.
    There is no logical reason for us to import this nonsense (and even less to extend it beyond the one friday …).
    Besides … I got the distinct impression prices are raised in the weeks leading up to this ‘sale’.

@sundancer You will fall to more SW:L enticement, my friend. It will happen according to the plans the CoG crew have laid out for their release this Giftmas (not officially licensed by The Emp… Disney)StarWars+Pope+similar

@torros You are a mini Buddha, serene and content with your little world gazing beyond the bare bright and shiny things to envision a placid heaven of painted figures

@limburger I believe that this man needs a DETOLF cabinet from IKEA to show off your minis for the low low price of your soul after going about the Long Walk.

Really, I worked for IKEA in their receiving dept running a forklift and their sales plan is calles the Long Walk. I generally memorized the location of the shortcuts and dashed through the store to the storage racks of the stuff I wanted.

Ok so after my laugh… @robert you have a good idea just for music

@warzan music for you as well to run away from yandere.. Lana Del Rey?

limburger
    21550xp
    Cult of Games Member

@horati0nosebl0wer Ikea definitely knows how to maximize confusing by making their store look like a flockin’ maze.

Supermarkets do this too and they shuffle their inventory to maximize confusion.
    I don’t like those glass cabinets. IKEA furniture always manages to look as if it will fall apart when it needs to be transported after assembly.

thelynxdefect
    Participant
    522xp

Just the £5 on 5 pots of paint from a clearance section.

I have some packing foam from a laptop box that are too “castle-y” not to make terrain out of. Gonna try that on Sunday.

And I might try my hand at making a paint rack/hobby station.

oriskany
    60737xp
    Cult of Games Member

dawfydd
    11895xp
    Cult of Games Member

I was going to be spending a fair bit on Black Friday deals from various folks, but then I had the crazy idea that, after an 05:00 start to do a run down to the south coast then up to Bath to do visits of some of our customers shops and to do delivery profiles, I might just have time to get to a GW store to pick up a copy of the SoB box. Handily the Bath shop opens an hour later than all the others so I just had enough time, and blew my Black Friday funds on this:
    2019-11-29 12.05.12

I have to say it’s a VERY nice package. The box is a heavier card stock than usual for GW, and coupled with the plastic tray that holds everything gives it a more “premium” feel than most GW releases. I’m going to start building the minis shortly, but first impressions are that they are quite superb. The cards are a nice touch, and the Codex is a great re-imagining of the Soritas for  the Dark Millenium. The fluff is hugely evocative and does a lot to explain what sets the Adepta apart from the other militaries of The Imperium. If I had one quibble to level at the release (beyond GW really needing to get a handle on how they sell these Limited products) it’s that I think they missed a trick bringing a certain Demonifuge fully back into the fold as a special character, but at least she (and St Sabbat!) get mentions.

Now, I just need to work out which Order to make these. My old 2nd ed Sisters army was Bloody Rose, but I fancied going with Sacred Rose instead this time as the white armour will stand out amongst the Wolves, Crimson Fists, Deathwatch, SoS, Custodes & Knights  I already have that skew into blues, blacks & reds, but then fluff-wise the Bloody Rose are the Order responsible for the sub-sector that includes the Crimson Fists home of Rynn’s World, whilst the Sacred Rose are on the other side of The Rift in Imperium Nihilus. I’m sure i could come up with some explanation if pushed though….

And it’ll be interesting to see how these new Sisters scale alongside Raging Heroes takes. I still have a couple of squads unbuilt of those which it would be a shame to waste… Maybe a force that’s seconded to a Cawl to trial prototype gear?

Oh, and before I go those scamps known as Snipe & Wib posted up their latest Codex Compliant, a surprisingly topical take on the original Codex Sisters of Battle (if they are not careful folk will think they are planning these…)

sundancer
    42621xp
    Cult of Games Member

@horati0nosebl0wer I won’t! FFG has delayed everything to next year…. you don’t scare me! 😉 (Maybe this news is even new to the store crew. @avernos would you be so kind and forward the info)

Source: FFG Forum

Legion Community! I have some updates for you straight from FFGs Marketing Department.

Some of you may have noticed a couple of updates on the FFG Upcoming Products page today. Unfortunately, due to the Holidays there have been some product delays that have pushed the following products back to January:

Crashed Escape Pod
    Imperial Bunker
    Personnel Expansions (All)

Additionally, the following products are being held for a simultaneous worldwide release, and may be delayed until January as well

Operative Luke
    Operative Vader

Although it sucks to disseminate the bad news, we did have some good news as well! According to FFG, we should have three new unit announcement articles before mid December. Not final previews before a product releases, but three brand new product announcements before December 13th!

Please share in your local communities!

@oriskany  those are nice tiny fighting men. Though the windows on the cars could use a bit more love, I think 😉

@limburger  IKEA doesn’t look like a maze it *is* a maze… a trap with a delicious hot dog stand at the end…. hot dogs will be the death of me.

@thelynxdefect  well done good sir. A penny saved is a penny earned. And do share your progress on the DIY paint rack/hobby station

@dawfydd  nice to have you around again and seeing you getting some hobby done 🙂

If you gentlemen would excuse me, I have a weekender to watch, some laundry to do and I haven’t had my coffee yet.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)