Skip to toolbar

Hobby Weekender 22/11/19 – *Insert coin to continue*

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Hobby Weekender 22/11/19 – *Insert coin to continue*

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 56 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • Author

rayzryr
    Participant
    20949xp

I’ve had some Hobby activity so far:

Monday night is DnD night. We’ve started in on the Descent Into Avernus campaign with new characters.
    Nothing out of the ordinary yet, we haven’t even left Baldur’s Gate. Just chasing Cultists through tunnels under the city.

I’ve also updated my Conquest Magazine Challenge project.

Warhammer 40K: Conquest Challenge

Tomorrow night I’ll try to update the Elf Project.

Anonymous
    0xp

@rayzryr I have managed to stop cutting myself again so far.

Hobby wise, I have my box of Dwarfs all clipped off the sprue, ready to start building more units.

IMG_2750

Some character models of the Dwarfs, ready for priming, though I see I have missed mould lines on the King.  They will join the ones I built on Sunday to make a Legion of Zombies.   While Zombies have taken a bit of a nerf in 3rd Edition, I think they will still be useful in tying up units to justify the points they cost.  Once I get these Zombies done, I will move onto building up more Ghouls.

IMG_2751

Another 6 sprues of Zombies legs awaiting the top half

IMG_2752

Not sure what I am going to do with the 3-Up Skeleton Rat/Dogs – probably mounts for heroes, not sure yet.

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

1. How did you get into the hobby

Blood Bowl. I loved it. Then again, it was the 80s. Space Crusade was a big hook for me, my mates all raved about HeroQuest but in truth I found it far less entertaining than the 4-player arcade version of Gauntlet. I played Space Hulk and thought I loved it. I might still do, I’m not sure.

2. Are we nearly there yet

It’s possible we shot past and just didn’t realise at the time. A bit like falling asleep on the train, I think we’re looking around with a fuzzy head, in a panic, trying to work out where we actually are.

3. whats the air speed velocity of a swallow

If it’s in the campervan with me, never one 1mph over 29 miles an hour. We stick to our speed limits here in Brighton.

Pledge: I promised I’d get my end-of-garden bungalow/workshop tidied up before starting any more projects, after the one I finished and sent in to the guys. Hope you enjoy it!

sathrin
    2073xp
    Cult of Games Member

@rayzryr
    The better half baked them yeah. 2 days later, all gone.
    Morvahna is from Privateer Press, Hordes, a Circle of Orboros caster.

Thanks! I’ve been playing around with wet blending using army painter, paints, and it’s working a treat so far.

Gotta say, seeing all the Mantic models throughout the tread, it makes me want to dig out an Goblin force I picked up a few years ago now. One project at a time though, must harness self control

shredhead
    Participant
    5177xp

I’m done with what I pledged two weeks ago, my brother’s birthday gift:

IMG_20191126_120538

More pics here: https://www.beastsofwar.com/project-entry/1460186/

My next pledge is to make some christmas decor with lights for my little nephew (7). Thinking about a few little houses.

rayzryr
    Participant
    20949xp

@sundancer good start on the Dewback, did you spray/ airbrush the colour on?

@robert glad to hear your fingers are remaining intact 😀

great looking Dwarfs, are they Mantic? OH I really like the dog/rat skellies, yeah you’ve gotta make those into some kind of cavalry for sure.

@blinky465 hey how are you?
    Gauntlet? Theres one I’ve not heard of for a while, used to play that on the old Commodore 64. Was it the same as the arcade version does anyone know?

@sathrin I’m surprised they lasted 2 days! Wet blending isn’t something I’ve spent time with. Another cool method to try though.

@shredhead thats so well done! I love the sense of movement from the streaking on the road.

Some music I’ve been listening to while working.

sundancer
    42624xp
    Cult of Games Member

@rayzryr nope, all done by brush. I don’t have an airbrush 😉

oriskany
    60737xp
    Cult of Games Member

Good afternoon  ~  Apologies, @tuffyears … I didn’t know you were running the thread this week.

1. How did you get into the hobby – Avalon Hill’s Rise and Decline of the Third Reich, 1984.

2. Are we nearly there yet – Wake me up when we get there.

3. Whats the air speed velocity of a swallow – definitely slower than the rifle bullet I’ve just shot at it. 😀

For recent hobby:

This is a project close to my heart, and one I’ve been putting off for far too long. For almost two years now I’ve been wanting to build a US Marine Corps Team Yankee force, but instead of using them in a fictional war in Europe, I wanted to build them for 1991 historical Desert Storm.

So I finally broke down and bought it all, enough to field a respectable US Marine Corps force approximately as it would have appeared in Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm, along with some enemy forces I can tweak into the T-55s, Type 59s, BTRs, and other vehicles used by the Iraqi divisions holding this section of the line. Possible recreations may include part of the Battle of Khafji in January 1991.

This project will cover the construction and painting of these forces, using mostly Battlefront 15mm from Teak Yankee and Fate of a Nation.

Here are the kits I bought for this project. I’m looking to build a passable for for both sides that historically faced off in this part of the 1991 Gulf War. Nothing here is an EXACT match, there is no “Gulf War” kit. So I’ll have to figure out a way to turn those M60A1s to USMC M60A1s with ERA reactive armor panels, and update those T-54s into T-55s and Type 59s used by Iraqi Army divisions (No T-72s “Lions of Babylon,” those were Republican Guard divisions further north and west).

Start off with the USMC LAV-25 platoon.  They give you a lot of choices here.  I built three with the standard autocannon (one commander), one with the mortar, and one with TOW-II ATGW mount to help deal with Iraqi tanks.

The Ryan’s Leathernecks kit comes with six of the older-model HMMWVs. I made one with the TOW ATGW, one with the Mark 19 Automatic grenade launcher, and the rest with the redoubtable .50 M2HB heavy machine gun.

The kit also comes with three M60 main battle tanks. Indeed, the Marine Corps was still using M60s during the 1991 Gulf War. The only difference is the ERA reactive armor I’ll have to figure out how to fabricate and mount.

Total Marine force at this point.  Long way to goon this one … 😀

oriskany
    60737xp
    Cult of Games Member

Further progress (to get this closer to caught up) …

So I’ve had some real set backs on this project.  Once again, I’ve forgotten how murderously finicky and fragile the dark wash can be on any desert army (or arctic for that matter, anything with a lighter base color).  This is particularly true with more modern historical vehicles with such broad, flat panels.

Well, the dark wash on these Marine vehicles went down positively horribly, even though I thinned it considerably.  Fortunately, I was able to save these vehicles with another light coat of desert sand.  This covered the train wreck, I had to mix the airbrush paint myself using watered down craft store acrylics.  Hardly an ideal solution, but it worked.

After that,  pretty much a full day was spent PIN washing these vehicles again – almost an hour per vehicle.  It was murderously time consuming, but I think I have a wash down I can live with.  The American “desert yellow” has come out well (the temperature of the color of course changes with the wash, so you have to air brush with that in mind). and I think I’m in the home stretch of these vehicles.

MEANWHILE:  Also working on my Iraqi T-54s/55s (some with side skirts, some without), and some Type 59 II Chinese imports / upgrades.

ALSO:  Started on the “Ryan’s Leathernecks” infantry that come with the set.  Lots of M16A2 service rifles, M249 SAWs, M203 GLs, an M72 LAW or two, even a small mortar and what looks like a Dragon ATGW.   Again, this was originally for Team Yankee (mid 1980s), I’m adapting it as best I can for a 1991 Desert Storm force.

Beginnings of my Iraqi force. I’m using the Syrian T-54 Battalion from Fate of a Nation as a base. The T-54s are yes … confirmed to be small, especially against the ZSU-23-4 Shilka SPAAGs.

I’ve made three of the T-54s with side skirts, three without (the 1991 Gulf War saw a mix of these). I also made three of them as Chinese Type 59 IIs (Iraq had about 1500 of these in service for the war).

The Marine Force after the wash went badly wrong, re-colored, and re-washed.

Again, the ERA panels that were carried on the M-60A1s will have to be fabricated. I also bought the LAV-25s from another kit. Otherwise these are Ryan’s Leathernecks from Battlefront’s Team Yankee.

The LAVs come with plenty of options. I built three as standard LAV-25s (25mm autocannon in small turret), one as a mortar carrier and one with an ITV-style ATGW TOW-II launcher.

The HMMWVs also come with plenty of options. I built one with a TOW, one with a Mk 19 40mm AGL, and four with the ole’ reliable M2HB “Ma Deuce” .50 cal.

Also started the Marine Infantry. They give you 55 figures in all. Needed quite a bit of cleaning, But I will say I can recognize details like the H-Harness 782 gear, M249 SAWs, M203 GLs under some of the M16A2 service rifles, etc. Ready for prime and base coating.

Full Project Thread:

Detail Painting Progress

limburger
    21551xp
    Cult of Games Member

Kickstarters always arrive in pairs … or something.
    Got my 3rd wave Dark Souls set today.

However we’ve sadly neglected one important bit that makes the weekender thread the weekender thread : music!

So may I present you Earth & Fire (not to be confused by a band with a similar name ;-)):

Centerfold :

(yeah … one could say they were handpicked for talents that didn’t include singing ;-))

It’s not like that was a new thing either :

sundancer
    42624xp
    Cult of Games Member

limburger
    21551xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundancer that’s ’cause I am special 😉

Nice Dewback … is it going to be all green all the way ?

Anonymous
    0xp

@rayzryr yeah, the Dwarfs are from Mantic. Big fan of the range – I’d need to be given I have so many of them!

more Zombies done. Just need heads and arms on these boys and I’ll have a Legion built and ready for priming.

0A790584-067B-4197-9E0C-9879A1C58258

*clearing the brain fuzz from work and a few things going* Huh, wha, who?

@warzan Good fellow I am limited only to my smartphone these days for contact. I’d gladly call but the last time I even reached out even to a friend in Canada it was quite painful. I will make it up to all of the OTT crew by shifting my aim of the Gift Cannon and changing its settings to volley fire. The Imperial Guard will be jealous of how much material I’ll be landing.

@avernos You’re in the clear for keeping the info under your hat.

doctorether
    Participant
    9166xp

Got a bit of hobby in tonight and played through the 2nd part of Kult – The Atrocity Exhibit. Real proper Hellraiser vibes 😀

Tomorrow is some Necromunda gaming.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)