Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] TGIF

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] TGIF

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 27 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy & paste ###

Read all of this before you start as it will save any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy & paste ###

Questions of the week:

• With 2021 being three weeks old: how many minis did you paint yet?
    • Do you drink enough liquids?
    • Will 2020 ever end?

Discuss!

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

Answers:

• Zero
    • Jawohl mein Herr.
    • Nope.

Pledge: I’m going to do a Kampfbericht. PunDancer style… at least I’m doing a script for it…. things go BOOM!

Some music:

limburger
    21535xp
    Cult of Games Member

hweee …. firsties

Do I get a prize ? 😉

1) With 2021 being three weeks old: how many minis did you paint yet?

wait … one has to paint minis ?

2) Do you drink enough liquids?
    *blub* *blub* …

3) Will 2020 ever end?
    Did it even start ?

Pledge ? oh yeah … more Mandalorian watching is in order.
    And I need to finish last weeks weekender + XLBS.

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member
    • With 2021 being three weeks old: how many minis did you paint yet?

I’m all over 2021. The fear of having to get a “proper job” (I’ve been a freelance “inventor” for five years and have worked from home for nearly twenty, so the idea of having to do “proper” work is terrifying) has been a real kick up the pants – once a week my wife takes online art classes and I take a few hours to myself to drop everything and do a bit of painting.

Six minis might not sound much for three weeks – but at two a week, that’s about…. two a week more than I’ve managed most years, recently!

• Do you drink enough liquids?

Every day I try to make the effort to get out of the house (unless the weather is really, really bad). With everywhere shut, bar takeaway coffee bars/portable vans, I’m certainly drinking plenty of hot brown liquid. I’m not sure how much is “enough” (and I don’t think that slurp I took from my painting brush mug the other day counts?)

• Will 2020 ever end?

One day. And we’ll look back on the TV shows and panel game shows from this period and wonder why they all look a bit weird, before realising it’s because everyone is standing 2m apart.

I get the feeling I’m not the only one who has been going through a bit of a “hobby funk” period. Maybe we should come up with something to get a little inspiration flowing? I dread to use the term “challenge” (as it suggests “winners” and “losers”) but I reckon we should all agree to acheive something by the time next week’s weekender rolls around. The diorama challenges I joined in on about 9 months ago were a brilliant way to actually get stuff done – not for the prizes or the challenge, but the idea that there were x days and we all had to produce something before the deadline.

I’m rubbish at basing miniatures. I know @warzan loves doing it. I’m trying to base my minis before painting these days (so not every painted mini ends up on a plain black disc). I reckon we should all agree to reconvene next week and display one (newly painted) mini – complete with something like a base that includes at least one grass tuft, or crystal, or some other embelishment? Photos here before you start….. (I really haven’t thought this through but will fire up the 3d printer tonight and put some minis together for painting).

Come on @sundancer. Chin up 😉

Still not smiling? Try now….

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

I have some school catch-up to do, and right now I can’t see my screen because of the pulsing sunlight through my window; I really need my own space that isn’t just one room… I’ll be trying to finish up Cypher in the next few days, but past that I have no real plans, but we’ll see what turns up.

With 2021 being three weeks old: how many minis did you paint yet?

One-ish…I think… I honestly haven’t noticed that one year became another this solar cycle. It’s all the same shit, which gets a little depressing after a while.

Do you drink enough liquids?

Alcohol is a liquid. That being said, I actually haven’t drunk much alcohol this year; lockdowns here make going outside anxiety inducing, so I usually don’t bother. Then again, I’ve basically not left my house for this whole mess…so that’s almost a whole year of being stuck at home. Not fun. But also not the point in the question… Yes I drink the liquids much!

Will 2020 ever end?

All this must end eventually…I just really wish this shit would be done soon.

Music, Maestro!

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

That second video is not available… makes me wonder what it is XD

danlee
    22390xp
    Cult of Games Member

This week’s pledge is to finish the Ad Mech flyer. I always forget with plastic kits it takes several day’s of hobby time just to assemble the things. I’m probably on track to finish it in the next few days though.

1. With 2021 being three weeks old: how many minis did you paint yet? – About 75% through one mini, though it is a big kit.
    2. Do you drink enough liquids? – Probably not.
    3. Will 2020 ever end? – The mistake is thinking our troubles were tied to the year they happen to have started in. It’s a bit like the old WWI saying of “it will be over by Christmas”.

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

So it won’t be over by Christmas? 😉

scribbs
    14505xp
    Cult of Games Member

Questions

1) With 2021 being three weeks old: how many minis did you paint yet?

Just the 12 Highlanders I finished up last week.

2) Do you drink enough liquids?
    Probably not, too much running around juggling childcare/home schooling/work to really stop and think about looking after myself properly.

3) Will 2020 ever end?
    At some stage, but don’t hold your breathe.

Pledge wise, I want to get the base colours on a batch of British light infantry done this weekend, and then I’ll see how close to finished I can get them.

limburger
    21535xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundancer it will be over by Christmas … they just never specified that it would be Christmas 2021 😉

irredeemable
    3742xp
    Cult of Games Member

Hails all,

Off yesterday, working today and off tomorrow. So my weekend has been divided but thankfully not conquered. Painting took lace and I also got through a good chunk of Skavenslayer. Really enjoying revisiting the Gotrek & Felix series and I’ve been keeping a running memo of locations they visit (Taverns, Inns, Towns etc) so I can drop them into Warhammer fantasy Roleplay whenever we get back to it.

Pledge this weekend is to continue on my Reikland Reavers. Progress has been slow but once I’m done I have a fully playable team. I’m also going to try spend some time on my Admech at some stage. I have a squad of three Myrmidon Destructors that I’d like to get finished.

Questions:

1. None to completion but I’m working on thirteen at the moment and hopefully will have something finished soon. I don’t think I have the correct static grass though so that might delay them a bit.

2. I drink gallons of tea but need to get more water into me. I have switched to decaffeinated tea in the evenings though in an effort to improve my sleep.

3. I’ve just abandoned the calendar completely as a point of reference. All it offers are lockdown deadlines  that seem to evade us like mirages and reminders of cancelled gigs.

@blinky465

I’m already seeing that with gameshows but now it stands out as really weird watching old episodes where people are standing close to one another. I like the idea of tackling a standalone mini to completion (it would break up the batch paint of my Blood Bowl team) so I might take a look at something interesting like a Batman mini and try tackle it.

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

@sundancer If you meant the second vid in my last post it was just the song Rise of the Chaos Wizards by Gloryhammer…not sure why it would be unavailable in Europe or Germany; the band is European. 😛

I did finish Cypher today, except for adding him to his base…which I’m still sorting out. I might actually try and find a 40mm base for him rather than his standard 32mm…but I haven’t decided yet. I’ll post some pics later either here, on the project, or both.

Did I get last week’s pledge? I forget. I think it was about horses and I’ve been doing work on those. I’m all over the place with doing painting.

This week I pledge to have my second squad of warriors painted all fancy schmancy

Completed as far as painting? …. I’d say none. I’m still going along with my Saga Age of Magic project (shameless project plug). There are still more details to paint.

I did not drink as much as I should of hydrating fluids but I have remedied that. Now.. time to drink some booz-a-mahol (a technical term)

2020 end? Ehh…. I think it pretty much has as I can delineate between basic work on my project and the more detailed stuff. Time is lost on me for the moment.

@sundancer @limburger Christmas 2021 …. The Year Sundancer Made Contact .. with his Star Wars Christmas batrep

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

As promised, here is Cypher finished…ish. I also have some step-by-step stuff on the project.

20210123_134002

Before the sword got done…

20210123_165408

And the sword…

ninjilly
    Participant
    11673xp

Better late than later…

Pledge: finish the Start Wars Legion core box which as if Friday I had 7 minis left to do. Managed two on Saturday so creeping ever closer. Technically my goal was to finish them by the 31st.

Q1 not including the two yesterday, 18 but 14 of those were batch painted clone troopers.

Q2 one of the irritating side affects of my medications is cotton mouth so I’m constantly drinking water or tea. On the plus side, easily makes it the healthiest habit I maintain ?

Q3 I only track dates for hobby goals at this point and only check the news once a day. As a result, more hobby done less frustration with the world and doomscrolling.

@crazyredcoat looking great. Amazing how much just painting the cloak made a difference to the overall look.

Saturday’s hobby done while hanging out with a friend over discord:

PXL_20210123_213146330.MP

PXL_20210123_213109522

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)