Skip to toolbar

Honey Tanks for the Desert

Home Forums Historical Tabletop Game Discussions Honey Tanks for the Desert

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  torros 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

yarkshiregamer
    Participant
    456xp

20200301_155621

20200301_160225

https://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.com/2020/03/28mm-honey-tanks-for-desert.html

Hot on the heels of the Mk VI Light Tanks I posted a couple of weeks ago I have been busy with the Caunter Paints again, this time adding them to some lovely 28mm Blitzkrieg Miniatures.

Plenty of pics on the blog link above. For our 1941 games these are the pinnacle of British Armour and it’s nice to have something that isn’t armed with a 2 pounder !

Regards Ken
    The Yarkshire Gamer

tankkommander
    Participant
    6393xp

Those look fantastic. Lovin’ the camo pattern. I think of that on the Matilda rather than other tanks.

yarkshiregamer
    Participant
    456xp

The+8th+Hussars+testing+their+new+American+M3+Stuart+tanks+in+the+Western+Desert,+28+Aug1941.+IWM+photo+E+5062

One of my favourite Honey pics is this, from August 1941 of M3 tanks practicing in the Desert. Not only does it show all the tanks in the Caunter Scheme it shows how there were subtle variations between individual vehicles.

Regards Ken

The Yarkshire Gamer

innes
    11086xp
    Cult of Games Member

Looking good. What colours did you use for the caunter pattern? Painting guides i’ve seen vary a lot.

yarkshiregamer
    Participant
    456xp

Hi,

That’s one of the most argued questions in modelling ?

Start here with this paint set, it has the official colours,

https://ak-interactive.com/product/the-caunter-scheme-1940-41/

After that it gets more complicated, once suppliers switched to ones local to the area colours started to react to the harsh desert conditions, the contemporary colour photos I have from the time show the Silver Grey colour in the scheme changing to different blue colours from a very light, duck egg blue to a mid blue green. As the colour is reacting to conditions over time there is no right or wrong.

I use Vallejo Pale Blue Grey or Blue Grey for mine when I’m not using the Official colours.

Hope that helps

Regards Ken

The Yarkshire Gamer

danbang
    Participant
    145xp

I do love a Honey tank, they look really really good. Attached is my take. IMG_3996

danbang
    Participant
    145xp

Sorry as in the tanks youve painted  Ken look really really good.

avernos
    Keymaster
    33717xp

Lovely work @yarkshiregamer

If anyone is interested there is a book (pamphlet) by Mike Starmer on the pattern. He got access to the MoD’s patterns and it ends with paint chips and whatever the British equivalent of RAL is.

I’ll dig out my copy for a few photos.

avernos
    Keymaster
    33717xp

This is the book in question

cover

One of several he has researched and prints at home, very old school but then so am I. If you want your own copy I definitely recommend it, the details are here.

more from the author

It’s full of the MoD’s patterns, every piece of equipment had it’s own scheme, so light tanks had a different application than cruiser tanks, or soft skins. All of the MoD’s patterns are reproduced like this wagon one.

example

he explains its inception, trails and subsequent use in the desert. There’s a good deal of research in there including the official colours and unofficial and pattern variations. If you are not mad keen on spending £15 for maybe a one off model I will include the best part, the paint recipe for the caunter style with notes for vehicle restorers as well as modellers. The crowning glory being 6 paint chips glued into the book so there can be no colour shift through printing.

paint receipe

torros
    23802xp
    Cult of Games Member

@avernos That name seems familiar  I’m sure I gave a pdf of a public forum  where he mentions the colours he uses

avernos
    Keymaster
    33717xp

he mentioned it on TMP a long time ago, which is where I saw and ordered it the first time. It’s also the reason  that I’m alright posting that, I don’t want to post his whole book though

torros
    23802xp
    Cult of Games Member

I cant find it . Its probably on a dead hard drive somewhere. It might not even bevyhe same thing It was probably  10-15 years ago I saw it

torros
    23802xp
    Cult of Games Member

Quite right  not to post it

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)