Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] He's up early!

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] He's up early!

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 48 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  kantor72 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author

oriskany
    60737xp
    Cult of Games Member

Thanks very much @sundancer , @limburger , @blinky465 . 😀 😀 😀

I appreciate the kind words but with full respect … I will stick with “Pile of Shame.”

1) That’s what it is.  😀

2) I’m only talking about my own Pile of Shame, and in no way implying that other people need to feel “ashamed” of whatever models or minis they have unfinished.  It’s mine, and I’m using my shame as motivation to get the work done.

3) Most of … or at least more than half of … the hobby in my pile came from other people as gifts.  People thought enough of me and my work in the community to give me a lot of that, and in my eyes that makes it even worse for me not to finish it.

All that said, here are the rest of the “Wave One” pics. 😀

Bipod MG-34s and the big Mauser antitank rifle.

Side view of the army at large.

Back view of the army at large.

Probably my favorite guy, which I painted generally as an Oberstleutnant (Lt. Colonel) battalion commander. It’s a little hidden in shadow but I hope you can see my attempt at Knight’s Cross ribbon around his neck and the badge ribbon on his tunic. This guy’s seen some sh*t! 😀 All these figures have brown cuffbands to approximate various DAK units, not really aiming at one in particular.

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

nice work.

limburger
    21535xp
    Cult of Games Member

@oriskany if it works for you then it is a great motivation.

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

Lads, I need a bit of advice. So here is my Star Wars: Legion Box of Clan Wren. And new with these boxes are building instructions and a nice colour photo of an assembled Unit.

Clan Wren has a f*ckload of yellow details on it.

Clan Wren

How would you tackle those yellow free hands? I’m pretty sure I can’t make them look as good so should I even care trying? Do I make an attempt at a “stylized” version?

oriskany
    60737xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundancer – yikes … I’m looking at those photos and I do NOT envy the task you have ahead of you.

SOME of those yellow patches will be easy … the knee caps, shoulder pads, the sides of the “loincloth” armor … also the borders of the calves, shin pads, things like that.

The hellish parts will be those smooth, even curves of the yellow on the sides of the helmets, etc (wings, avian-like graphics, etc.)

I am not an expert painter by any means.

My only POSSIBLE idea would be … do the yellow FIRST?  Then cut in around it with the surrounding gray?  Or at least if you’re spraying / airbrushing the gray, keep some of that paint aside in a reserve bottle for hand-applied touch ups afterwards?

The reason being … not only will the patterns be difficult, but it’s YELLOW.  As in the most difficult color.

Gray covers yellow much easier than yellow covers gray.  So it MIGHT be easier to get the sharp, smooth, clean edges if you’re putting gray atop of yellow rather than vice-versa?

oriskany
    60737xp
    Cult of Games Member

Continuing to chew away at the Pile of Shame. Next up was the Kfz 69 Horch 1A staff car.

OTT Project: https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1484487/

Next up is the SdKfz-231/8 armored car. Then the three Opel “Blitz” trucks and this whole DAK bundle is done.

A little strapped for decals, so I’m just trying to make the best with what I have.

scribbs
    14505xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundancer The more stylised parts would be hard whatever the colour, but a fair bit looks to be lining the edges of sections or complete pads. I would get the grey done, and work the edges up to a very light grey/white highlight, and then paint in yellow. Otherwise I guess you could start messing around with masking; depends on how much hassle you want to go to. Targeting specific parts of the armour to be yellow would probably be a sufficient enough nod to the source.

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

@oriskani yeah… I’m aware of the troubles of yellow 😉 I think I’ll take the route as described by @scribbs as it is my usual way of painting yellow. and then I’ll see where it takes me XD

limburger
    21535xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundancer they don’t have transfers for that kind of detail ?
    If it were me I’d say make your own interpretation of their markings, unless your opponents are ‘experts’ (with no life) I doubt anyone would notice.

@oriskany : you might not be an expert painter, but you’re definitely way above average than you give yourself credit for.

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

nope, no  transfers

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

Well, dagnammit, it’s almost time for another Weekender and I’m supposed to have finished not one but two dioramas in time for tomorrow. Here’s a spoiler alert – it’s not likely to happen (though I might just get Earthworm Jim done tomorrow morning, if that counts).

And here’s why.

I was making the Knight Rider diorama because @avernos said no more gold until it moves or speaks. But that got interrupted. Because when he and @sundancer were discussing traffic lights from Marvel Crisis Protocol, one of them  (I forget who’s getting the blame for this one) said it needed blinking LEDs.

I took one look and thought “forget that – it’s too much work, far too fiddly, and I’m not sure it’s even possible.”

But that’s the problem with “not sure if it’s possible”. I don’t mind giving something a go, knowing it’s likely to fail; if only to *prove* it’s not possible. And some things, you look at and think “yeah, I’m sure I could do that”. But it’s the “not sure” ones that suck up so much of my time….

Tomorrow it gets a lick of paint. Maybe finished for the weekend? We’ll see…

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

well… you could have just made the yellow light in the middle blink… nightmode… but you’re going all in again… 😉 Nice.

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

Yeah, I did think about the flashing yellow light – like we have on pedestrian crossings here. But then forget and went with the classic red, red+amber, green sequence on traffic controls. It’s all a bit of a mis-mash of US/UK/EU walk/don’t walk signs really. I’ve another I can change the microcontroller for, and make it play a different sequence.

How about red, flashing yellow, green, solid yellow, red ?

(I guess I’ve another project to write up now…)

danlee
    22390xp
    Cult of Games Member

I managed to finish my next set of Kingdom Death survivors in time for the next unofficial weekender thread. Full project entry here: https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1467945/

IMG_3016

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

@oriskany – that’s a great looking army you’ve painted there. I love the extra little details on the cuffs, the little badges and buttons etc. Lovely work!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)