Skip to toolbar

The Old World

Supported by (Turn Off)

Related Companies:

Tagged: 

This topic contains 50 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  onlyonepinman 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Author

grantinvanman
    Participant
    2017xp

@wolfie65 – that’s what I’m talking about. Just Eisenstein – it goes for STUPID money. Why?
    There must be be some issue with reprinting it, because Nomad Investments did the first three, and then moved on the gold Solar Earth War crap books. That’s the “revised” Horus Heresy.

I’m not saying it’s a conspiracy theory … but …

IMG_7185IMG_7184

piers
    Participant
    25465xp

@jamescutts

To be honest, I’m not sure my armies will work at all for TOW as they are.

I may have a poke around at it, with my Dwarfs and the Goblins to try it. But it seems more 6th/7th edition to cater to the available models of course.

I’m more intrigued to see what they have ported over from Warhammer Ancients and have a general nosey at it all. It may well just sit on the shelf to book end 1st Edition…

But, you never know. Will see where it takes us, its been 40 years so far, so probably give it one last shot! 😉

Any excuse to paint some more Undead…

20240107_004834

wolfie65
    Participant
    1229xp

@grantinvanman – Isn’t it funny how many so-called ‘conspiracy theories’ have turned out to be true, especially over the past 3 years….And we thought The X-Files were just a fun sci-fi show….

The first time I came across the phenomenon of a relatively recent, standard mass market paperback going for ridiculous money was in the early Noughties, namely Katherine Kurtz’s Lammas Night. I wondered back then what the big deal was, bought a few copies I found (at normal prices) in local used book stores  – when such things still existed in abundance – and sold them at a slight profit to others. No gouging here…. It’s not even a very good book.

Sure, Eisenstein is a good read, most Horus Heresy and a bunch of other Black Library books are actually much better than you might expect from novels based on games,  but Heimdall’s beard! – you don’t have to take out a third mortgage to read good science fiction.

The most I ever spent on 1 single book was US$ 180, but that was for a HUGE hardcover manual/text book I needed for work and which could not be found used, in second place is a very rare collectible from the 1930s at US$ 145. Even actual antiques (= over 100 years old) can be had for less than what these recent simple paperbacks are being sold for.

@piers – Based on the battle reports I’ve watched so far, WHtOW seems to play very similar to 5th edition Herohammer. Your regular troops (Men-at-arms, Archers) are basically speed bumps/decoration, even Knights do little to nothing, it’s all about elite units, heroes and (probably) special characters. And, of course, who rolls more 6s. Magic seems kinda Nerfed, which is odd. Well do I remember the days of a certain Wood Elf player whose Lord on Eagle and Mage on Warhawk killed entire armies from on high, while the ret of his tropps pretty much just stood around and he rolled entire batteries of 5s and 6s on his magically charmed caramel-colored dice – which did not work for anyone else, we checked them many times.

onlyonepinman
    18057xp
    Cult of Games Member

@wolfie65 believe it or not, I am old enough to remember when warhammer miniatures were smaller.  But the advent of plastic kits increased their size (owing to the fact that early plastics couldn’t capture the same smaller details) and by the end of 8th edition, warhammer was somewhere between 28mm and 33mm (probably 30mm if I had arbitrarily pick a number).  But scale creep in the past is not an indicator of constant and ongoing scale creep, which is what you seem to be saying.  You should consider taking Hanlon’s Razor to heart a little – not everything is some sort of conspiracy

wolfie65
    Participant
    1229xp

@onlyonepinman – I never said that everything is a ‘conspiracy theory’, scale creep certainly isn’t, it’s an easily observable fact, and it started before the advent of plastic kits.

I got into miniature wargaming very early – about age 6 or 7 – with Airfix, Elastolin and various ‘dime store’ type figures and back then, the by far most popular scales were 20mm (such as Airfix 1/72 plastics, made in that size originally to go with model railroading) and 25mm (such as Minifigs, Ral Partha, Grenadier, the big names at the time), the scale most often used by ‘serious’ wargamers.

If memory serves, ‘heroic 25mm’ (read: 28mm) came along in the late 70s or early 80s, the first instance of scale creep I was aware of, and they were still all metal.

While we’re on the subject, I dug out some old figures and measured them. I have 2 Citadel Chaos Warriors (metal) from the mid-80s, one of them measures 24.5 mm from the sole of his foots to the top of his noggin, the other 25mm. They are not standing ramrod straight at attention, their knees are slightly bent and they’re slouching a,ittle, let’s allow another 2-3 mm for that lack of good posture, which gives us around 27-28mm for both figures.

Heroic 25s’, if you will.

I also stood my Bretonnian Grail Knight Hero on foot (GW ’97) next to his contemporary plastic Archer (from the basic 5th edition boxed set) and, not counting his very elaborate headgear, he does not ‘tower over ‘ the Archer, they would be the same height if Mr. Hero was helmetless.

onlyonepinman
    18057xp
    Cult of Games Member

You may not be quoted as saying “everything is a conspiracy theory”.  But you sure do go on about them enough. The 1997 Bretonnian range was smaller than the last iteration of Bretonnians – I have enough of them to know that. But the last iteration of Bretonnians was consistent in scale with other humans (i.e. Empire) and the mounted knights were slightly larger than the peasants.

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)