Skip to toolbar

3D Printable Trucks for Sci-Fi Tabletops

Home Forums 3D Printing for Tabletop Gaming 3D Printable Trucks for Sci-Fi Tabletops

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  c0d3monk33 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

tabletopterrain
    Participant
    20xp

Allow me to introduce myself. I’m a wargamer from NZ that plays a bunch of systems – preferably sci-fi skirmish. Late last year I started creating a variety of printable 28mm scale sci-fi civilian vehicles because I couldn’t find exactly what I wanted in the market. They’re all up on DriveThruRPG for a modest price. They’re all designed with Autodesk Fusion 360. They’re all printed on a fairly stock Ender 3 with Wanhao PLA. They all currently have interchangeable parts so they work together for variety and they look like this. Any other 3D designers on here?

garbageTruckFront

prospectorRockerBogie

halftrackScalePreview

obsidian3d
    Participant
    160xp

Looks great. Nicely done.

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

First thought: Trucks? Only one truck. And a rover. And a crane.

Second thought: very nice windows paintjob. 🙂

Third thought: to small.  Seriously, trucks are way bigger compared to a single person. At least 50% more than they are now. Plus the hydraulic stands on the crane need to extend much more to the side to support the crane. This way it looks like a toy. So I’d either raise/retract the stands or make them stand out. Like in this picture. But I really like the design of the rover. 🙂 Hope this helps.

Kranwagen-1

tabletopterrain
    Participant
    20xp

Perhaps I should have been more specific and said ‘light trucks’ – since that’s what these are based on. These are designed as Line of Sight blocking terrain pieces, rather than 100% accurate scale models. An accurately scaled truck would take up a fair amount of table space, particularly once you have several on the table.

The other beauty of 3D printing is it is only a couple of mouse clicks to change design scales before printing. 15% is a good number to try if you want to upscale.

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

The finish on those trucks is amazing for 3d printed! How much post-print work do you have to do, to get that kind of finish? Are you printing 0.1mm layer height (the banding is almost unnoticable). I’m just getting started with 3d printing and after getting nowhere with ABS have switched to PLA and can at least get something useable off the machine! I’m still looking for a reasonable way to finish the terrain pieces though – sanding is ok on large, flat areas but for tiny little details, I’m still getting lots of layer lines on the finished models (even after priming with filler-primer and sanding back).

Nice work!

tabletopterrain
    Participant
    20xp

Thanks! These models are all printed on a fairly stock Creality Ender 3 with a stock 0.4mm nozzle. The only real mods to my printer are X/Y belt tensioners and some ‘stepper smoother’ boards (although I’m not sure they’re worth the bother). What 3D printer are you running?

I print in a gray Wanhao PLA because I find that takes the best photos, and is easiest to paint for me. PLA is certainly easier to print with than ABS, judging from other people’s experiences – I’ve only ever used PLA because it simply works. For war gaming models PLA is fine too because you’re likely to prime and paint it.

I’m printing at a 0.08mm layer height and the Cura 3.6 profile I’m using is available here if you want to check it out: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dOCdqsRJLzIpjNuMG2WXIs8WKdcAubzM

Also I sort of cheat to be honest :). These vehicles are basically printable kits. They’re constructed from a number of parts you print and glue together. This allows me to print most detail in the ‘Z’ or face-up dimension. Typically for FDM printers this dimension has the finest control (it’s driven by a metal screw rod, rather than belts), so gives you the best detail. I’m also impatient, so design the vehicles so I can print smaller parts to get them to assembly quicker. I can’t stand 12hr monolithic prints for example 🙂

A lot of FDM lines might be due to extrusion issues. It’s easy to set up your printer to over-extrude slightly for example, which gives you heavy lines. Might be worth try tuning your extruder steps, or simply dialing back the ‘Flow Rate’ slightly on your printer or in your slicer. I find a difference of a few % can be surprising – like a 98 or 96% flow rate.

In terms of post-print clean-up all I’m really doing is removing a bit of light stringing (something I’ve never bothered trying to tune away), and light filing mainly for the best fit of certain parts before gluing. No bulk surface sanding is required. Here’s an example of a printed and assembled, but unpainted vehicle for example. You can see the layer lines on the rear of the tires: 

marquesdcarabas
    Participant
    131xp

Good job !!!

They look brilliant, could see these scaled up just slightly and painted rusted up for a very Fallout vibe.

c0d3monk33
    Participant
    20xp

Cheers! Yeah they’re designed to be scaled up if you want – I pretty much design the details as small as I can stand, and the scale as well. Part of the beauty of 3D printing is that it’s only a click or two in your slicer to scale parts up. 5-8% is a good range. These were originally designed to be terrain pieces rather than in-game vehicles so they’re a touch small deliberately.

I’ve also been cranking out a few sci-fi vehicles recently to go on a Cyberpunk street as well. They’re all available from the same place: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/13766/Tabletop-Terrain

Cyberpunk Street Cars (imgur link since image upload seems broken here): https://imgur.com/KJ59U4B

Cyberpunk Hover Car: https://imgur.com/KJ59U4B

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)