Skip to toolbar

Thinning Vallejo matte varnish

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Thinning Vallejo matte varnish

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  johankimigo 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

lorddgort
    159xp

I prefer to use a brush on matte varnish to protect my miniatures.  I recently saw a tutorial where a painter thinned a brush on matte varnish with water.  I was surprised as I believe I contaminated my Vallejo varnish one time with water (a dish that hadn’t been properly dried) and I think it caused the varnish to “fog”.  Parts of the mini turned white in the creases.  Does anyone out there thin their varnish?  With water or with something else, like a flow improver.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

somegeezer
    18343xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’m the same with mine, even if I really don’t like slopping it on without thinning it. Would love to hear some success stories.

torros
    23802xp
    Cult of Games Member

I used to use the Vallejo Matt varnish but never found it gave a particularly Matt finish.

I don’t see why it couldn’t be thinned a little but I think you need to make sure your water was  very very clean

brucelea
    7897xp
    Cult of Games Member

I thin my Vallejo paints and varnishes with both water and their thinner. I also spray it and brush it. The most important thing to do is let everything stabilise at the same temperature, or ghosting can happen. I try not to go any varnish spraying when it’s too cold as that seems to be when it happens most.

I haven’t had any ghosting with the Vallejo matte varnish when brushed on. I have had that with aerosol use of Testor’s Dullcote. I only use the Vallejo gloss regularly when I want to fill in small areas or over metals that I’m going to paint over and scratch battle damage.

In any case a little thinning shouldn’t be a problem. Just be sure not to drown your work in the stuff.

amachan
    25655xp
    Cult of Games Member

I thin my Vallejo varnishes with some of their airbrush thinner, but then I also apply it with an airbrush. However with their polyurethane matt varnish I always had problems fogging up, no matter what I did. Their acrylic varnishes work perfectly fine for me.

hooferinsane
    Participant
    120xp

I thin Vallejo matte varnish (always with clean water) with no problems. Have had some disasters with aerosols though (GW brands) so won’t use them anymore

commodorerob
    11076xp
    Cult of Games Member

Although I have started to use Army Painter anti shine recently. I always applied Vallejo Matt after thinnuth it with clean water and never had any issues with it at all.

johankimigo
    Participant
    20xp

I’m the same with mine, even if I really don’t like slopping it on without thinning it. Would love to hear some success stories.

https://ovo.fyi/chaturbate/

https://ovo.fyi/xnxx/

https://ovo.fyi/tubegalore/

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)